1. Firaxis celebrates the "Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month", and offers a give-away of a Civ6 anthology copy (5 in total)! For all the details, please check the thread here. .
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Old World has finally been released on GOG and Steam, besides also being available in the Epic store . Come to our Old World forum and discuss with us!
    Dismiss Notice

What social class are you?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by ComradeDavo, May 26, 2008.

?

What social class would you/your family describe yourself as?

1. Working Class

12.0%
  2. Lower Middle Class

15.3%
  3. Middle Class

34.0%
  4. Upper Middle Class

25.3%
  5. Upper Class

7.3%
  6. Dunno?

6.0%
  1. downtown

downtown Crafternoon Delight

I grew up in a middle class family. We didn't want for anything, but we didn't have many luxuries. I pay for my own college.

Right now, I'm a poor studen (class?). After I complete my studies, I think it is reasonalble to guess that I would be making an above-middle class salary before too long

2. Fifty

Fifty !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You didn't want for a rocket ship or a fighter jet or a 20 foot high pile of jellybeans when you were little? What kind of a loser kid were you (or did your supposedly "middle class" family actually get you that stuff, rich boy!?)!?!? :mad:

3. downtown

downtown Crafternoon Delight

I had to settle for the 5 feet of jellybeans, but I learned to like it.

On a related note, that might be why I have diabetes.

4. Rambuchan

Rambuchan The Funky President

Voted 'middle class' and provided elaboration and explanation on my answer when posting in the previous thread.

I'd also like to highlight an excellent post that was made by Thorbal in the previous thread, which highlights some important aspects in defining the classes and which sadly went with no further comment after being made.

5. Cato the Elder

Cato the Elder King

According to Thorbal's post I'm a solid mix between lower and middle class, and take aspects of both. Which is true, because despite being of a middle class income and my family generally occupying itself with middle class stuff (i.e. culture, travel as opposed to football, pubgoing) we take what we like most of lower class values. In my personal life this is even more amplified as I live in a true working class town and have therefore come to love and appreciate many working class aspects and fit them in with my daily life. (I don't think I'll ever be able to love football though)

6. puglover

puglover Disturber of Worldviews

My parents are both highly educated, but can't find work and are divorced. So counting just income and possessions, we're working class.

Actually, I rather like the need to pay for my own car, gas, tuition, insurance, and food. It gives me a sense of self-reliance that many of my friends don't have.

7. Hasdrubal Barca

Hasdrubal Barca Emperor

I can honestly say i´v been poor, working class, mid-class, mid-upper class and poor again, working class again, mid-class and so far not yet rich and i´m not that old as you would think...+

Living both extremes does change individuals, and for those who say that people don´t/can´t change, that´s just those who never yet lived much...

8. luiz

luiz Trendy Revolutionary

Strawman? So you mean that generally speaking only people usually thought as "working class" actually work?

It is a stupid term and you know it.

9. luiz

luiz Trendy Revolutionary

Yeah I was beign annoying on purpose. But the point is good, it is a terrible term.

I also think that "lower class" is a bad term, as it carries some sense of inferiority like it is some servile cast. We should talk about income levels: lower income, middle income, etc.

10. ComradeDavo

ComradeDavo Formerly God

But (at least here in the UK) class is not just based on income. It's also based on things such as background and living conditions, culture and general mindset.

Anyhow, for a thread such as this on an international forum, there is always going to be many differences when talking about class, so I just stick with what I know from my nation.

11. Mark1031

Mark1031 Deity

Relative to the world: upper class. Relative to my country: Upper middle class. Relative to my city: Lower class. For income that is. Culturally I'm an intellectual elite who doesn’t drink lattes or drive a Volvo.

12. aronnax

aronnax Let your spirit be free

Using defination by total household income, i fall into upper middle class. But last year for a short 6 months, My family was Lower Upper Class

13. FriendlyFire

FriendlyFire Codex WMDicanious

How much income do americans consider to be middle class these days ?

14. aronnax

aronnax Let your spirit be free

15. Whomp

Whomp Keep Calm and Carry On Retired Moderator

Based upon my European roots I suppose I'd be considered working class. If you don't mind this might take a little explaination because I have no idea based on what I've read here.

My dad's side was working class Irish/English and planted in Oklahoma during the big land grab. My ex wife was told by my stepmother to check the gene pool before having children with me.

On my mother's side, my great grandparents left Italy when my wealthy great-great grandfather tried to have my working class great grandfather knocked off. Fortunately, my great grandmother was well educated so the people at Ellis Island couldn't butcher their last name. My grandfather chased hats of rich people for a nickel in his youth and my grandmother was a secretary who drew up arrest warrants for Elliott Ness' crew. She had a dozen roses delivered to her desk every day. They put all four of their children (three women and one man) through college. Pretty unheard of for women during the day.

My dad came from a broken marriage and worked his way to a scholarship to get his college degree. He also was a commissoned officer in the Navy. He worked really hard to get to that place. When his mother died she wanted her ashes spread over a lake. Her sister threw her urn in the water so one of my uncles went back to the house, got a shotgun and before he shot said "she woulda wanted to go out with a baaaaang".

Anyhow, I was educated at a public university without distinction and paid for most of it myself. I feel very lucky to have experienced a privileged life with experiences most could only dream of. So depending on what we deem "class" would determine where I fall.

16. El_Machinae

El_Machinae Colour vision since 2018 Retired Moderator

When I was a kid, we always had enough food.

I'd say "I'd like some more food please"
    Dad'd say "You've had enough"

17. cubsfan6506

cubsfan6506 Got u

Cubsfan is how you would say, "Elitist".

18. T.A JONES

T.A JONES Deity

Quite true. Whats life without a few ups and downs to make for a good ride, like in a full 'living sence'

Ive been through kinda the same. Im working to one day being 'upper' working class (meaning labourer with high income) Some the guys I work with motivate me. Right now with commodities being the way they are they pull in 100 000+ with bonus as jackleg drillers. heck n' thats in Canadian $$! :cool: I mean you can't tell by the way some talk or dress, so I do agree there's more to class then income. We joke that One day they will make a Bentley truck if the nickel bonus keeps going up

My dad is a lawyer and I can see the benifits to making a few grand under a hundred G's if you have secretarys doing your work and you spend more time on the golfcourse instead of a dark (sometimes fumy) tunnel.

Still thats why im happy to see the working class has a chance to become more educated with some of todays modern conviences. The internet makes for some bright skilled labourers. Before they would know nothing going on but whats on site or mybe the local news. Its Not LIke they would get the time or even want to go to the library. Luckily Todays gen of labour is used to high tech so you get these guys who go from stoper and drill to mouse n keyboard

Working conditions are better aswell. LIke the mining camps of today are hiltons compared to condition of last gen. AT fly in sites Workers stay in big ass cabins that have large common rooms eqpt with pool tables, weight sets, big screen tvs, internet etc..

19. Stolen Rutters

Stolen Rutters Deity

Oh, you meant social class! Here in America it's largely about money. You have people with a hundred million in cash but no class to speak of, or at least a purchased social class.

My social class... both my parents were truly working class, but I have an Engineering degree (Bachelor only, paid for by yours truly... I ran out of money right about the time I had to decide on a Master's degree!) That makes me working "class" but middle income (I'm only a few thousand dollars shy of earning my way to the top income quintile!), though my children will call themselves middle class, concerning themselves with starting small businesses to pay for summer camp.

20. Rambuchan

Rambuchan The Funky President

Damn! You've more or less described me to a T, especially the bit about football!

One thing that Thorbal's post didn't do was mention anything about upper class values. Having experienced a brief sojourn into these realms, and gained both an understanding of and a strong distaste for these values, I would describe them thus:

Elitist ~ in both of the usual senses of the word.
    Exclusive ~ see their preoccupation with etiquette as a tool to exclude the riff raff.
    Nativist ~ especially demonstrated by an infatuation with bloodlines.
    Conservative ~ because the social order works in their favour, why change it?
    Ostentatious ~ something the upper middle classes tend towards moreso, because of the supposed mobility implied, but the upper classes are hardly immune to (although those at the very top take an unsurprisingly dim view of such desperate vulgarity).

I guess old habits die hard. :p

Funny that.

Oh, so now you're a fan of the velvet glove?

Why shouldn't we talk about things like symbolic capital, race, speech, culture, values, power relations and social exclusion? Isn't society and life about a bit more than how much money people earn? Also, what do you think it is about Brazilian society that has lead to you having such views?