What sort of music do you listen to?

What sort of music do you listen to? (no particular order, not really exhaustive)

• Total voters

Lockesdonkey

Liberal Jihadist
I've been looking at the "What Song Are You Listening To" thread, and I'd like to know: What kind of music do y'all listen to you?

EDIT: Added poll. If I could list all the varieties, I could, but that would be impossible. It's rather Americentric, I know, but this is an English-speaking forum. Were this, say, a Chinese forum, it would look rather different...

give me polka or give me death...

Anything that is not jazz, heavy blues, metal or hip hop.

In order both of how much I listen to, and also how much I like it:

1. Classical, preferably chamber music, and very little modern era stuff.
2. Late 90s gangster rap.
3. 80s pop rock.
4. A random smattering of classic rock hits.

1. Rock(mostly Indie stuff, Shoegaze)
2. Instrumental music(Post-Rock, Chamber Rock, etc.)
3. Classical(Intimate Chamber or solo music, not a fan of Orchestral stuff)
4. Experimental

A lot of that stuff overlaps, and a lot of it sounds made up, but whatever...

I've really come to like traditional and alternative country through my friends, much to my own surprise. I do mostly listen to indie rock (and folk), with a smattering of Arabic classical and traditional music when I'm in the mood. I used to really like classical music, and I still go to performances when I can, but it's not as big with me as it used to. When I need a laugh, I'll watch an Indian pop music video...

(As an aside, I once Tunak Tunak Tunrolled a friend--Rickrolling is overdone--and he actually came up to my dorm room to express his displeasure. Apparently, his suitemates last year constantly blared bhangra-pop, including Tunak Tunak Tun, and he's semi-hated the song ever since).

Pretty much everything. And I mean everything. From the hardest of the hardcore hip-hop/metal to the most mellow lounge jazz you can find...and everything in between.

Except classical...:o

you divide country into 3 groupings, rock into 3, electronic gets 1, hip hop gets 1...

seriously, mainstream vs trad vs alt country, and yet club anthem hip hop is in the same genre as freestyle rap and turntablism. Electronic has some seriously underground rave music, strange electronic academia, and accessible club music.

And yet indie, alt rock, and punk rock, gets the distinction.

I suppose given the CFC audience it makes sense, though.

Mainly Metal and Industrial of various shapes and forums, with helpings of alt-rock, punk, goth and grunge:)

So stuff like Tool, Nine Inch Nails, Marilyn Manson, Placebo, Rammstein, Gojira, Metallica, Machine Head, VNV Nation, Combichrist, Sepultura, Nirvana, London After Midnight, Killing Miranda, The Ramones, System Of A Down, Slipknot ....and much, much more:) You get the general idea from those bands!

you divide country into 3 groupings, rock into 3, electronic gets 1, hip hop gets 1...

seriously, mainstream vs trad vs alt country, and yet club anthem hip hop is in the same genre as freestyle rap and turntablism. Electronic has some seriously underground rave music, strange electronic academia, and accessible club music.

And yet indie, alt rock, and punk rock, gets the distinction.

I suppose given the CFC audience it makes sense, though.

Yeah, I was a bit perturbed that the hip hop category makes no distinction between 2pac, Lil' Jon or Common, to use 3 very different artists.

Metal all the way!

My Top 5 Overall Music Genres:
1. Thrash Metal (i.e. Metallica, Slayer)
2. Death Metal (i.e. Opeth, Dark Tranquility)
3. Metalcore (i.e. Lamb of God, As I Lay Dying)
4. Symphonic Metal (i.e. Nightwish, Epica)
5. Heavy Metal (i.e. Judas Priest, Iron Maiden)

Yeah, I was a bit perturbed that the hip hop category makes no distinction between 2pac, Lil' Jon or Common, to use 3 very different artists.

Your lucky, polka is stuck with 'other'...along with zydeco....

Again, apologies for the bias, but I was tailoring to what I knew the audience is. Look how many voted in each category...

If I had infinite poll spaces, I would put as many categories as I could name, and nobody would vote in the poll.

I listen to all sorts of different types of music.

Right now I'm doing some coding, so I have deep house on.. actually, it's not quite deep, really, it's more like.. chicago house.

I was listening to a bunch of Jamiroquai earlier.. and Friday at work was Radiohead/Pearl Jam day, mostly, I think.

Thursday I remember listening to Fantastic Plastic Machine, which is from the Japanese Shibuya-kei genre.. which is like.. 60s movie music with house, funk, lounge, bossa nova. I also listened to a bunch of punk (ramones, queers, pink lincolns, matadors)..

hmm.. lately i have also been listening to bossa nova, and a bunch of ninjatune guys, like skalpel and amon tobin.

I love to listen to Jazz and hip-hop (been listening to eyedea lately), from time to time.. as well as all sorts of rock, and sometimes even ska.

There's more music I like, but that's what I've been listening to lately.

Top Bottom