1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

What speed do you enjoy playing most?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by jpinard, Jul 28, 2007.

?

1. Quick

14 vote(s)
    4.0%
  2. Normal

85 vote(s)
    24.6%
  3. Epic

131 vote(s)
    37.9%
  4. Marathon

114 vote(s)
    32.9%
  5. Modded speed (please describe in post)

2 vote(s)
    0.6%
  1. jpinard

jpinard Martian

2. Dnomal

Dnomal Prince

Marathon.... I like building units and having a chance to use them before having to upgrade. I used to love Epic but it wasn't quite (lol) slow enough...

3. martin031

martin031 Warlord

I like epic. Seems to be the perfect pace for me.

4. Amin001

Amin001 Heretic

i usually play normal but i played epic a few times and i like it

5. uat2d

uat2d ಠ_ಠ

how can I be the only enjoying quick games?

i just can't play the same game for more than 10 hours, and some players waste 30 hours in only a map!!!

i did that in Civ3, but no longer in Civ4, it is just too much time and gets boring; in Civ3 I wanted to arrive the late industrial age and really have fun, but now Modern Warfare isn't that good; even in BtS

Fast and Good- its all what I want!

6. Lance of Llanwy

Lance of Llanwy King

I like Epic the best. Normal isn't slow enough, and Marathon is slow, and seems a bit imbalanced, especially in terms of when barbs start showing up. Epic is...just right, I suppose...

7. Tronicoz

Tronicoz vikingz

good how can you people playt epic and marathon, normal is nearly to slow for me and i need new stuff, not the same old empire turn out and turn in, normal for me

8. MisterBarca

MisterBarca Prince

How can anyone who is not 6 years old enjoy quick games? :crazyeye:

9. uat2d

uat2d ಠ_ಠ

I just want to play different maps and don't be always stuck in the same... I also sometimes play epic games (althought I think Marathon is just way too slow, and so it sucks)

also keep in mind that I almost every time start from Ancient Times; no Advanced Start

10. jpinard

jpinard Martian

Well the great thing is - that we have the different options. Personally I like to use units for a while before they become useless. I also like taking my time and absorbing everything. However there may come a point in time where I just want to get to space and try differing maps - so normal would be the way to go.

Actually I'm still trying to decide between Epic and Marathon. I almost kind of with there was a mode right in-between those two (Epic not quite slow enough, Marathon might be a bit too slow). Hehe.

I'm surprised its a dead-heat between Normal, Epic, and Marathon. 14-14-12

11. PimpyMicPimp

PimpyMicPimp Regrets His Username.

Because not everyone has the exact same tastes?

In Warlords, I was playing all my games on Epic, it was just a nice speed for me. However, I've been playing all my BTS games on Standard for now so I can get my head wrapped around the new concepts and because of that nasty espionage bug :p

12. BARBEERIAN

BARBEERIAN Prince

I play alot of MP and that's all Quick speed. For SP I play Epic but a game usually only takes me 6'ish hours since I take my turns fast.

13. Kennigit

Kennigit proud 2 boxer

Epic is the best IMO for gameplay. Units don't go obsolete too quickly, tech rates are balanced, growth rates are good, workers build improvements at a good rate and have time to move around, etc. Marathon is just too agonizingly slow for me.

Often I'll play Normal or Quick just to get things moving quicker and to try other stuff. On MP in gamespy, quick is the only speed anyone can stand.

14. PimpyMicPimp

PimpyMicPimp Regrets His Username.

I've never been able to finish any of my marathon games. They just take TOO long IMO :p

But that's why we can choose the speed, so we can style it to our tastes.

15. ComradeGeneral

ComradeGeneral The Penguin Overlord

Quick is best, you win you can start over quickly, if you lose, you start a new game and don't repeat the same mistakes

16. Lord_Azazel

Lord_Azazel Prime Swatter

I love the Sailing age and usually play epic or marathon to be able to actually use my frigates before they get annihilated by destroyers. Does anyone know if there is a mod that makes it possible to stop the tech tree at some point? would be fun to stop it right before riflemen cavalry cannons and frigates become obsolete...

17. Proteus

Proteus King

Marathon normally,
    but switched to Epic for BtS due to reports that poisoning wells seems to be a little bit too effective at marathon (and not wanting to modify XML-files that probably might get changed nevertheless with the next paqtch ;) )

18. bonafide11

bonafide11 Worker

Epic baby!

19. Lord_Azazel

Lord_Azazel Prime Swatter

20. DeathReborn

DeathReborn Chieftain

Since me & my dad play it not very often i'd say marathon. Together we play Epic but I like it to last a long time, allows for more intricate strategies to be employed.