• Quick

Votes: 14 4.0%
  • Normal

Votes: 85 24.6%
  • Epic

Votes: 131 37.9%
  • Marathon

Votes: 114 32.9%
  • Modded speed (please describe in post)

Votes: 2 0.6%

• Total voters
Marathon is the only way to play Civ 4....

but make sure you see how to temporarily fix the bug on BTS for Marathon games...:)

Because I'm somewhat new to Civ IV, I've been playing normal for most of my games, just so I can play more of them. I see myself moving up to epic soon though, the idea of my early armies lasting longer is an appetizing one.

Normal. I don't like waiting a million turns for everything to happen. Quick is also fun but only for MP games.

And if you hit the modern age where it's a year per turn, doesn't that kind of make epic and marathon pointless anyways? Or do build times shorten to "normal" pace? Can't remember because it's been a while since I actually made it to the modern age on an epic game...

Fast and Good- its all what I want!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

You must be a man .....

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I have always enjoyed the pace at which epic goes, but for some odd reason with BtS, it doesn't seem slow enough.

I think epic is the best balanced for tech pace vs unit obsoletion/usefulness.

I've only been playing BTS on normal for now though, while still trying to figure out which difficulty fits my style and game preferences (first version of Civ IV where it's taken so much experimenting).

I made a thread recently asking if anyone could provide me with balanced settings for a 1000 turn game:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=234715

I find Marathon far too long, but Epic that little bit too quick. I guess I mostly want more time to make use of my units before they become obselete. I always play on large maps, if that has any relevance.

I just play normal speed. Games already take about 10 hours to finish as it is, if I would play epic or marathon, I never finish one. :D

10 HRS for normal????
What kind of victory you go to?
I usually can win domination in about 6 hrs in epic, but then maybe you use different strategies, etc or enjoys modern time more.
For a while now i rarely go to modern times, save to get artillery...

I've always played at Marathon, but the way it's completely imbalanced is annoying so I've started playing on Epic in BTS.

I think I'm gonna stick to Epic for now :cool:

What is so imbalanced about marathon? I usually play Normal but the obsoleting of units (and even wonders/buildings) does feel way too fast so I'm open to change.

Marathon. With the additional 300 turns, the early game is longer and allows for early epic wars. age of sail, industrial age, all long and this is actually somehting I am very happy about. now I can wage those multi year wars and it feel simply like a multi year war, not a multi decade war.

I love Marathon because i get totally caught up in the game and crafting my civ. I love the wars (I like to micromanage 400+ units) that take a long time. Marathon is just perfect for me

What is so imbalanced about marathon? I usually play Normal but the obsoleting of units (and even wonders/buildings) does feel way too fast so I'm open to change.

the scaling of espionage, inflation, among other things needs to be fixed.

I play Quick when I'm pissed off. If freaking China keeps building my Wonders out from under my nose, I'll set up a Duel-sized map on Quick and just rush the crap out of them to vent steam... They had it coming.

Otherwise, I do Marathon. The galacial pace makes it seem more like an actual civilization.

Epic is baby bear. Juuusssst right. :p

The more I play at Marathon speed, the more I cound't imagine playing any other way. My Massive game mpas still whip through at a fast clip. A game may take a few days, but it's still fun.

Marathon. No time limit. More time to use the units, plan and play a serious war with high promoted army (lots of battles during all those turns). I normally don't have much time to play, so most of my games take weeks to finish - and that's the way I like it.

When I first started playing Civ IV way back when it came out I was playing Normal. I thought the game took too long even at that speed. I noticed on the Forums everyone was talking about Epic so I tried it and I thought it was slooooow.... I dont think Marathon was on the original Civ IV? Anyways after Epic I tried Marathon and really had to get used to it, but in a short time like 3-4 days I got it down to where after awhile the game is just TOO fast on anything but Marathon. In fact I would almost say Marathon is just a bit too fast also. Wish I knew how to modify speeds.

I think Civ IV, in general, should be treated as an epic game, and played on at LEAST that speed or on Marathon. It's like the Morrowind series, or Dungeons and Dragons, it's not really a game that is meant to be played in a few hours. I have had games go into the 3-4 day mark before I finally one or lost. When simulating the history of the planet it should take at least 15 hours or so, and that is if you are kicking ass the whole time.

Top Bottom