1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

What states will emerge/remain as a world power in during Climate Change age?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Reginleif, Mar 5, 2011.

?

What states will emerge/remain as a world power in the during Climate Change age?

1. Algeria

5.6%
  2. Argentina

11.1%
  3. Brazil

40.7%
  4. Canada

44.4%
  5. China

35.2%
  6. Columbia

5.6%
  7. Egypt

7.4%
  8. European Union

44.4%
  9. India

25.9%
  10. Indonesia

3.7%
  11. Iran

9.3%
  12. Israel

11.1%
  13. Japan

20.4%
  14. Mexico

9.3%
  15. Nigeria

7.4%
  16. Pakistan

5.6%
  17. Peru

9.3%
  18. Russia

50.0%
  19. Saudi Arabia

7.4%
  20. South Africa

11.1%
  21. South Korea

7.4%
  22. Thailand

3.7%
  23. USA

57.4%
  24. Venezuela

5.6%
  25. Other, tell us!

18.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Reginleif

Reginleif Warlord

Its coming, the greatest catastrophe to hit humanity since the atomic bomb! Many will die and billions will be displaced, but until then, it is a good time to look into the crystal ball and foretell what will come to be! Vote and debate which states will ascend (or hold on) the reigns of worldly power in this climatic era.

All candidates on the poll were placed there because of current economic, geographic, and political authority states posses in the present. Since the poll asks about the future it does not hold any possible forthcoming states (New Caliphate anyone?) Also I feel justified in putting the European Union as oppose to other extranational organizations (African Union) because they are centralized (more so than any other union. In fact Gaddafi was a major African Unionist, so it seems even less likely the African Union would centralize).

Note: This is not a post to discuss the credibility of climate change as a scientific theory or otherwise.

Edit: The question should read "What states will emerge/remain as a world power during Climate Change age?" I forgot to remove the "the" when I was reframing the question...

2. amadeus

amadeus Bring back the Civ2 theme!

We'll be fine.

3. Bei1052

Bei1052 Emperor

My vote goes to the U.S., Brazil, Nigeria, China and Japan.

4. Tee Kay

Tee Kay Justice guaranteed

I'm going to say Canada and Russia.

5. Hygro

Hygro soundcloud.com/hygro/

Clearly Algeria and Peru. Without a doubt. I've been saying this for years.

6. Oishi

Oishi Warlord

meanwhile, in Soviet Russia...

7. Arwon

Arwon

The impact of declining oil production must also be considered over this sort of timeframe. Countries which are smart and respond to the scarcity of easy energy well will do better. Very hard to predict.

8. ArneHD

ArneHD Just a little bit mad

You forgot Norway! With our water exports we will dominate the world! Also conquer our ancient enemy Sweden.

9. Verbose

Verbose Deity

Er... We've also got water. There's no Water Gap between us. It may rain on you guys, but then it runs down on our side you know.:viking:

10. Souron

Souron The Dark Lord

I don't think that climate will be a big factor in determining who's on top.

11. JohnRM

JohnRM Don't make me destroy you

Brazil: NEW
    Currently obtains the vast majority of its transportation fuel from sugar-based ethanol. Has significant natural resources and vast untapped wilderness to shred for the sake of adding a billion new souls to an already overburdened planet.

Canada: NEW?
    Currently has plenty of water, uranium, and other energy reserves to sustain itself long into the future while everyone else suffers from diminishing availability of imports. Through control of a huge chunk of the world's remaining energy, Canada will be able to reach out a touch people in a profound economic way.

China: NEVER
    Just wanted to say that China is not now nor will it ever be a world power. The military cannot truly reach out and touch anyone and the US debt that it owns doesn't mean as much as most people think. The looming environmental catastrophe and resource shortage will stunt China's growth long before it can reach out and touch people anywhere on the globe.

European Union: STILL, but declining
    The EU, if it remains a focused, consolidated group, will maintain enough economic and military power to reach out and touch people all over the globe for some time into the future, but it won't last. Europe is on its way out. If the White European races don't go extinct entirely, they won't run so much as a hot dog stand within two-hundred years or so.

India: NEVER
    See China.

Japan: NO MORE
    Japan is almost entirely dependent upon imports for just about every resource they require for their economy. When the SHTF and resources really start to dry up, they will starve. I'd guess that Japan's population is below 60 million by 2200.

Russia: STILL?
    If they can sustain a reasonable output of natural gas and petroleum to sustain their own economy, they should be alright. The conventional military still has the ability to throw its weight around regionally and, of course, they still have nuclear weapons, so...

Saudi Arabia: STILL
    They have been and will still be a world power as long as they can export roughly 25 percent of the world's supply of petroleum. They've quietly grown their military over the years and currently appear to be one of the top ten military powers on the globe.

United States: STILL, but declining
    See European Union. The United States has a decent chance to get ahead of the energy crisis, but it won't, because of stupid conservative asswipes. We will eventually buckle under the pressure, but the sheer volume of our industrial and military might will take a while to dismantle.

Imaus likes this.
  12. azzaman333

azzaman333 meh

Australia will win.

13. Flying Pig

Flying Pig Utrinque Paratus

The UK's in a pretty good position relative to a lot of countries because we have a lot of capacity for renewable energy - especially wind and tidal power - as well as a lot of influence over the EU which I think will become more and more powerful as it becomes more closely integrated. Brazil is in the best position of all: large population, developing industries, and low reliance on fossil fuels

14. woody60707

woody60707 Deity

The European Union. You guys know it's not a state, right?"

15. Flying Pig

It may well be as good as such by the time the 'cimate change age' really hits home

16. Verbose

Verbose Deity

With regards to the EU, I think it might be in its place to extend a: "Welcome to Scandinavia!"

That is, there's actually plenty of room up here still. EU is about 4,4 mil. square km. Sweden, Finland and Norway, which I think will be included, accounts for almost 1,3 mil. square km. The EU has 500 million inhabitants. Between them these three countries have 20 million.

With an upturn for agriculture here, general thawing out etc., it might be possible to shift population and resources around within the EU, if the south lands in trouble due to climate change. It might mean one hell of a shake-up for the Nordic countries though...

17. aimeeandbeatles

aimeeandbeatles watermelon

I think the countries that don't flood out will be in the best position.

18. Ajidica

Ajidica High Quality Person

I may be wrong, but isn't most of the UK fairly close to sea level with the exception of Wales and Scotland?

19. Flying Pig

That's true; flood defences will be expensive.

20. TrailblazingScot

TrailblazingScot I was kittenOFchaos

I'd do abit of reading about renewables first, not rely on what you're told at GCSE. Current renewables aren't the answer, simply a nice way for some people to make 'green money'.