what Steam means for me

I was NC

Chieftain
I understand it provides benefits to many of you. I've read about them on this very forum. However, for various reasons none of them apply to me.

Rather, what happens is the following sequence. I go to open Civ, and instead Steam launches. The dialogue box for on or offline appears. I choose the latter, and it immediately starts trying to connect to my account (thus indicating an... incomplete understanding of the term offline). Then nothing. I try again, and nothing. Maybe the third time is the charm? Nope, nothing.

Perhaps it's holding my playing the game hostage to going online? I pick that option instead. Then it asks for my password. The one I created almost a year ago as a condition of buying the game and haven't used since. Needless to say it's not at the front of my brain. Plus, again, I don't need it for ANYTHING.

After backing out and trying again, I don't even have the option of trying offline. The software goes directly to the password screen, but then disappears before I can even try it.

So there you go. No Civ for me.

The bottom line: I would pay Firaxis, or even Steam, $100 to not have to deal with this crap again. That's $100 more than Steam will ever make from me buying a different game.

Again, I get that Steam is great for many of you. Hopefully the above explains why it's not for some others.

Your only problem here seems to be you forgetting your password. I fail to see how this is Steam's fault.

Plus a couple of small bugs, admittedly, but I don't think that anyone else has them...

I understand it provides benefits to many of you. I've read about them on this very forum. However, for various reasons none of them apply to me.

Rather, what happens is the following sequence. I go to open Civ, and instead Steam launches. The dialogue box for on or offline appears. I choose the latter, and it immediately starts trying to connect to my account (thus indicating an... incomplete understanding of the term offline). Then nothing. I try again, and nothing. Maybe the third time is the charm? Nope, nothing.

Perhaps it's holding my playing the game hostage to going online? I pick that option instead. Then it asks for my password. The one I created almost a year ago as a condition of buying the game and haven't used since. Needless to say it's not at the front of my brain. Plus, again, I don't need it for ANYTHING.

After backing out and trying again, I don't even have the option of trying offline. The software goes directly to the password screen, but then disappears before I can even try it.

So there you go. No Civ for me.

The bottom line: I would pay Firaxis, or even Steam, $100 to not have to deal with this crap again. That's $100 more than Steam will ever make from me buying a different game.

Again, I get that Steam is great for many of you. Hopefully the above explains why it's not for some others.

I sympathise. I would pay twice the price for a non-Steam version. But we are few and far and our voices are not heard by Firaxis..

I go to open Civ, and instead Steam launches. The dialogue box for on or offline appears. I choose the latter, and it immediately starts trying to connect to my account (thus indicating an... incomplete understanding of the term offline). Then nothing.
Have you tried disconnecting your internet before you launch Civ V? I have been able to bypass Steam when my internet connection is down (for whatever reason.)

DRM is a double edged sword. The forced-online is grating (was potentially a much bigger issue for the next set of consoles than Steam, but writing on the wall is that this will eventually become mostly standard, or they'll lock enough features from games to make playing offline unappealing and still claim offline mode exists). Now, if Steam can do what Microsoft has proven to be an utter failure at and prevent cheaters from hacking games, they might have more justification for themselves. I have a bit of a personal soft spot if steambox becomes cross platform compatible, too. Pushing developers out of directx could be useful.

Unfortunately game companies are going to get their way with this, because enough people accept its existence. It's a little mini-study of the problem with politics in general; regardless of whether something is viable, simply limiting full details on its implications and forcing it on a populace with some promises will get you enough support to win. Steam is no different, and has managed to outplay its competition. Thanks to other gamers, your choices are to use it or not play, but maddeningly if other gamers didn't exist, the games wouldn't in the first place.

So we have to deal with suboptimal choices forced on us by masses of ill-informed consumers/whatever every day. The key word there is deal with it though; enjoy what you can and try to make the rest not affect you as much as possible.

Your only problem here seems to be you forgetting your password. I fail to see how this is Steam's fault.

Plus a couple of small bugs, admittedly, but I don't think that anyone else has them...

Do you remember something you did once a year ago? If so, congratulations. The fault is in part requiring one when it isn't necessary. And, as you note, it's not the "only" fault, but one of several. While you may not have seen anyone else report them, I'd be surprised if my experience is unique. There's nothing special about my operating software or machine.

You need to log in A SINGLE TIME to steam to enable OFFLINE PLAY for the future. Do not ask me how as I do not know exactly, just google it.

That would be GREAT! I'll have to find it.

Have you tried disconnecting your internet before you launch Civ V? I have been able to bypass Steam when my internet connection is down (for whatever reason.)

I thought about it and maybe will give it a try. Seems like doing so shouldn't be necessary.

DRM is a double edged sword. The forced-online is grating (was potentially a much bigger issue for the next set of consoles than Steam, but writing on the wall is that this will eventually become mostly standard, or they'll lock enough features from games to make playing offline unappealing and still claim offline mode exists).

I can see this being the wave of the future, especially after people like me who are old enough to remember buying discs at the store are done playing games (hmmm, maybe I should take a hint). Just seems like there should be two options. Oh well, I'll take your advice and try to deal with it. Possibly by deciding I'm done with Civ. Especially since Steam seems to want such an outcome.

It's up to you. I still like games enough to put up with a little extra nonsense. Heck, Steam's practices are pretty low on my list of things I don't like :). Between shoddy net code in virtually every non-server MP game out there to how civ optimizes after civ III to games that purport skill being extremely dependent on chance (aka madden), there's lots of potential frustration.

But then one can load up a game like Worms: Battle Island and blast nephews to smithereens (though the older one is getting pretty good and I don't have it to practice, so it's not exactly one sided when I get double'd) and there's a dose of perspective to be had. If there's something about a game that allows it to give enjoyment and you'd rather spend time on it than alternative activities in the moment, it's still worth it despite the extra "costs" (and frustration/time to set it up are costs also, when comparing civ to alternatives if one dislikes Steam). Maybe you don't like it enough to put up with the nonsense, but Steam seems to have correctly banked that enough people will. Where everyone puts their time is an important and oft-overlooked choice. Pick something you enjoy enough to overcome the costs, whatever they may be!

Between shoddy net code in virtually every non-server MP game out there to how civ optimizes after civ III to games that purport skill being extremely dependent on chance (aka madden), there's lots of potential frustration.

Admittedly that's part of it: all I ever play is Civ and so there's no opportunity to think "well at least it's better than _____." However it seems tough to have a worse problem than being totally locked out of the game.

I sympathise. I would pay twice the price for a non-Steam version.

Not sure the vast majority would when the vast majority wont even pay $5 to support the game in downloading a map pack.

Admittedly that's part of it: all I ever play is Civ and so there's no opportunity to think "well at least it's better than _____." However it seems tough to have a worse problem than being totally locked out of the game.

A more accurate description is that you have to jump through hoops. There are ways to recover a steam password, especially if you still have the email associated. If you don't know that, I don't know what the next steps are but there probably are some.

But some games are broken at a core, fundamental level. V's only big offenses are the controls (could be streamlined) and that it runs so poorly vs recommended specs. It's also not balanced around perfectly even matchups in competitive play, but that was never its intent. All in all unless you play very quickly it's a fun strategy title. I'd knock the AI, but that's every AI ever in strategy games lol.

Civ V is not a game that makes play skill irrelevant with luck-based gameplay (I guess it could in MP, but as I mentioned it's not designed around that and people can make maps where it isn't, and due to its combat mechanics is easily the least luck-dependent civ title on a tailored map). It carries the semi-fortune of not needing competent net coding, because it's turn based (games with split second reactions can be nigh-unplayable with bad latency, and "compensation" efforts often make that worse). You're also far less likely to get some of the more colorful hate mail, though some of us have been known to wear such messages as a badge rather than being bothered by it :mischief:. There are things we take for granted, until you play online and a character that's literally in front of you kills you instantly with a "backstab" :lol:. Civ V thanks to its premise doesn't have to deal with that kind of junk.

There's a lot to like in the series, too, and IV and V have each put forth an impressive amount of feature/choice depth with expansions, unmatched by most series I've played.

Not sure the vast majority would when the vast majority wont even pay $5 to support the game in downloading a map pack.

Excuse me, I dislike tiny maps. Firaxis however, LOVES the tiny maps.

Thus, me and Firaxis is at an impasse.

I used to be on your side but now I absolutely evangelize steam.

Honstly the first time I lost my internet connection then had to go to my college library and log in to get to play the game I bought was AGGRAVATING..

However in the long run the benefits out way the cons. I bought CiV at a retail store on a disc. God knows where that disc is now. I don't have the slightest clue. It was 3 computers ago. and probably 3 apts ago that I bought the original copy of CiV.

Its so relieving to hop on a new computer. Transfer your data. Download steam then download your game. Buy a new lap top and hop on and download your game again. I don't have to find that scratched up disc copy. plus expansion packs.

I get it.... the online sign in thing had me cursing steam. But there's certain perks to modern gaming that we just completely take for granted. Always online only for single player is where i pick up the pitchfork though....

there's certain perks to modern gaming that we just completely take for granted. Always online only for single player is where i pick up the pitchfork though....
Yes, it took me awhile to warm to Steam, but the ease of transferring the game to a new computer is very nice. Another advantage is the ease of adding mods, or subtracting them, depending on the style of play I might wish to undertake in a given game.

But being required to connect with Steam over and over, when I have no desire to transfer information to them, is annoying. And getting an advertisement unrelated to Civ (e.g. Pacific Skies) on the introductory menu is needlessly annoying.

You don't need to be online for Steam. It takes a little longer than online, but if you know your password it will hook up in a few minutes.

the OP says hes old enough to remember buying games on CD in a store?? So am I. And im not really all that old in the grand scheme of things.

Regardless you're basically whining that you can't be inconvenienced to retrieve the password to your steam account either by email reset or calling their help line which is very easy I had to do so last time i forgot my steam password. In the time it took you to come on this site and complain you probably could have got the password, logged in and solved your issue.

I can think of no legitimate reason to "hate" steam except maybe a shoddy internet connection, which in this enlightened age is inexecusable so call up your ISP cancel that contract and get someone with halfway reliable service.

When new content used to come out for a game, I would have to wait for it to show up on disc in my local store and be guaranteed to pay 30 + dollars for it on top of the base games price. With the wonders of steam I can buy things like a season pass for a certain game entitling me to all the DLC at a flat cost which is usually far less than what the things would have cost purchased individually. Better yet I can preorder the games expansion and I get a discount, and never have to leave my chair. The prices and location really can not be beat, what more can any reasonable person want?? The answer is obviously not a whole lot. Your explanation in no way explains why steam is bad for some unless you happen to forget your credentials and are not inclined to just go about resetting them.

I can think of no legitimate reason to "hate" steam except maybe a shoddy internet connection, which in this enlightened age is inexecusable so call up your ISP cancel that contract and get someone with halfway reliable service.

Well, Steam turns a purchase into a “lend and lease” agreement. When I started gaming you got possession of your data medium and then you were in control and could do with it whatever you wanted (use it, wear it out, back it up properly or nail it to the wall as a piece of modern art). I am still able to play 30+ years old Sinclair Spectrum games because I have the proper emulators and have my tapes stored as mp3 files, I still sometimes play a game or two of Civ I or II - but I sure won't be able to play Steam games in 30+ years because I am not in possession of a proper data medium and I am not really in control. So as soon as the company owning the rights goes belly up or loses the rights or just loses business interest in keeping the games online - they will be gone forever! Online DRM reduces what today could actually be a form of art like movies or literature to its pure and short lived commercial value, it’s just consumer electronics and in two or three years no one should care any more. Yes I know, philosophical BS like that is a no issue to most of todays video kids, but there are crazy people like me who actually (want to) care about games they play and spend a lot of time and money on. If the designer or producer of a game does not care about his product for more that its pure retail value, then why should I??? I had no problems paying full price for Civ I to IV and many others - but for Civ V I waited until it was cheap, all in all I just paid about 16 Euros for V Vanilla, the Gold upgrade plus BNW (which is btw. my one and only Steam purchase ever, and a clear indicator of my dedication to this franchise). If Firaxis does not care, I sure won't...

Also there seems to be a direct connection between online distribution and a reduced interest of the companies to do proper testing and quality control to deliver finished products at release date - and instead turning a game release into a "crowd funded" beta testing phase. Pay full price now and MAYBE you'll get a finished product half a year later. And that's also not the kind of gamble I am interested in...

That would be GREAT! I'll have to find it.
As follows:
* Under the Steam-menu (top-left) choose "go offline".
But wait until all updates are downloaded and installed, if you go offline and it's half-way it won't be able to start the game.
* Block Steam in your firewall
* Now everytime you start Civ/Steam it'll notify you of the fact that there's no internet connection and ask you if you want to start offline.

The main clue is that you need to go online once to be able to go into offline mode.

And believe it or not, after a while you might start to like Steam :)
I know I disliked it in the beginning, but now I'm quite fond of it.

Where else can you get up to %75 off in the summer/winter sales?

My bugbear with steam is normally I log in via the client but purchase games via the steam web-site. Now steam thinks I've logged on from a different computer so i need to wait for that security pin via email....

I play offline - I only log on if something goes screwy or the computer has a duckfit - because the game runs about 3x slower online. But it means I can't post screenshots etc. which has sometimes been frustrating.

Top Bottom