1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

What surprise do you think Anton Strenger teased about?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Rup, Jun 3, 2019.

1. Caprikel

Caprikel Warlord

North Carolina, but secretly a Minnesotan
    Maybe a 3rd expansion, but it's a mini expansion with only 4 new civs, or something like that.
    I guess that would basically just be DLC pack at that point.

2. criZp

criZp Emperor

maybe it's the gamecore.dll source code

ezzlar likes this.
  3. Cerilis

Cerilis Stormrider

That would only be a surprise for modders though. :p

4. Gedemon

Gedemon Modder Super Moderator

And can you still call something expected 18 months ago "a surprise" ?

glider1 and steemroller like this.
  5. Leucarum

Leucarum Emperor

I'd love to see a proper SMAC remake... :/ beyond earth didn't exactly rock my planet.

rlw33, tedhebert and CivLuvah like this.
  6. CivLuvah

CivLuvah Deity

Boris Gudenuf likes this.
  7. Phoenix1595

Phoenix1595 Lord of the Two Lands

I would like a smaller DLC, tbh. I loved GS, but still need time to digest it before another expansion. However, there are a few outlying civs, wonders, etc. that I feel a little pang for (medieval Byzantines please!).

That said, I remember that peculiar comment that Ed made awhile back about Anton working on something akin to an economic victory, and would love to see what that entails... Is this how they shoehorn Genoa/Venice/Florence in?

CivLuvah likes this.
  8. Haig

Haig Deity

What are the exact words from Anton?

I didn't catch anything about some revelation in the video, English isn't my language though..

9. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

I think it depends on the timescale we are talking about.

If these are things coming in the next few months, it's probably another patch and maybe a DLC.

If it's beyond that, it's either an expansion or a spin-off.

Jkchart and Meluhhan like this.
  10. Rup

Rup Warlord

I agree.DLL code and the lack of access to the modding team is big part of the reason why I left CIV VI in favor of paradox GSGs and 4X.
    I really wanted something like Rhyse of Civilization or even something else on that scale. :/
    From not understanding how can people spend so much hours just looking at bland maps to a maniac who cant stop looking at maps in the last 6 months :p

Off topic: *Also another reason is that I am a huge fan of RPG and immersive worlds which is what CK2 is.*

I still love Firaxis though and is/will always have a special place in my heart.And probably I'll again get the urge to play CIV someday.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2019
    glider1 likes this.
  11. Villager720

Villager720 Warlord

Alt leader DLC pack for some vanilla civs - that way anyone can utilize it regardless of which expansions they have.

679x, _hero_, Jkchart and 5 others like this.
  12. WillowBrook

WillowBrook Lurker

I'd be a big fan of that! Bismarck, Washington, an ancient Egyptian leader, and a not-so-ancient Chinese leader, perhaps?

Although, the HOF is laid out to fit nine more leaders nicely, which is what we've been getting in expansion packs, so I'm betting on an eventual third expansion over more civs or leaders in smaller DLC. But who knows.

13. ehecatzin

ehecatzin Emperor

I'd love for the announcement to be a third xpack, but it could as well be DLC's with each adding a bit more stuff to call the game complete (civs, leaders, scenarios, wonders and terrain).

14. Jaybe

Jaybe civus fanaticus Supporter

It couldn’t have had anything to do with the June 2019 patch, could it? And why am I the first to mention it in this thread?

15. Ivan Hunger

Ivan Hunger King

Anton's exact words:

"Check out the full patch notes we'll be releasing very soon, for every last change that we've put in. Now, stay tuned to the Civilization social channels. We've got more work and surprises we can't wait to tell you about."

I think people are getting thrown by the fact that he mentioned the patch notes before the the social media stuff. However, the phrasing he used leads me to believe that he's still just talking about the patch and not some unrelated announcement.

Jkchart, Hawke9, Haig and 2 others like this.
  16. WillowBrook

WillowBrook Lurker

You're not first - see post #17 in this thread. ;)

And you're probably right, IMO, but it's fun to speculate. :p

Eagle Pursuit likes this.
  17. Villager720

Villager720 Warlord

I just think it is too soon for an ex pack announcement.
    And I can't see them adding in whole new Civilizations via DLC that don't somehow touch mechanics added in the previous expansions. They'd probably be kinda lack-luster if they didn't make use of new gameplay options.
    The great thing about a leader pack focusing on vanilla Civ's is that they really don't need to change much per Civ and can thus more readily avoid requiring other DLC to be playable.

18. WillowBrook

WillowBrook Lurker

I agree it's way too soon for an xpac announcement, and it would be great to get a leader pack. But given how much they're still doing via patches, I doubt we'll see any new paid content announced for at least a few months.

19. Villager720

Villager720 Warlord

That's why leaders are a great idea - they take more art than anything else. Tweaks and balances can continue forth while they make new people and districts/buildings/units.
    I can't imagine what else could be more of a "surprise" than them breaking their DLC mold. But as you've noted, anything other than Leaders (mainly art), seems unlikely.

20. Naktis

Naktis Warlord

If its a DLC then forget about 3rd expanssion.