1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

What surprise do you think Anton Strenger teased about?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Rup, Jun 3, 2019.

1. acluewithout

acluewithout Deity

In fairness, it seems the last few patches have tried to fix a lot of stuff. And some of the new mechanics in RnF and GS were clearly designed to fix underlying issues - eg loyalty (forward settling, nerf combat), resources (nerf combat), and grievances (make diplomacy more intelligible). So... maybe FXS aren't total villains...

2. Medopu

Medopu Warlord

Yes, Firaxis is surprisingly chill with their updates and dlc/expansion policy for civ6. There are only two major dlc's that really essential, all others are basically for flavor and tbh, this is EXACTLY how all developers of strategy games (yes, all) should go about their business. It's structured and it makes sense.

I won't name any names but there are certain competitor strategy games that would rather require you to buy like 50 stupid dlc's to even access all new gameplay features. So you either have to pay an upwards of 100 bucks to get all required non-flavor features while waiting for a stupid steam sale or you have to graduate from dlc studies to try and find out the correct combo of dlc's that would bring you bare-bone essential features for an enjoyable gameplay without costing you an arm and a leg.

Long live firaxis.

Caprikel, Julia97, DutchJob and 6 others like this.
  3. Bechhold

Bechhold King

C. Notre Dame Wonder...?

Phoenix1595, kaspergm and WillowBrook like this.
  4. Naeshar

Naeshar Warlord

I think they are preparing a spinoff.

And I love how I do not need to watch any social media, just visit CFC. You guys are awesome

rlw33 likes this.
  5. comatosedragon

comatosedragon Emperor

I hope it's "B".

I would love to see Beyond Earth II or Colonization III.

But I am weird.

rlw33 likes this.
  6. mr_siika

mr_siika Chieftain

Don't know if someone already said it, but doesn't that sort of confirm that there will be new units? Would be a bit strange for a patch though...

upload_2019-6-5_14-33-30.png

Attached Files:

7. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Deity

IF they are doing to do a spin-off, I'd rather either a) a fantasy-style world such as we haven't seen in Civ since CivII, or b) very early eras civ from hunter-gatherer stage up until the founding of the first cities

Still, I'd rather they keep working on civ6 than a spinoff.

Kjimmet, Jkchart and comatosedragon like this.
  8. Ivan Hunger

Ivan Hunger King

Not necessarily. Maintaining consistent wording is often more important than avoiding redundant wording. This could be an example of Firaxis wanting to keep this policy card's wording consistent with other, similarly phrased policy cards, rather than a hint at new units being introduced.

9. SxSnts9

SxSnts9 Warlord

My problem with the Cyber Warfare policy card is that the negative isn't really a negative. If you're fighting a war that late in the game you probably don't care about grievances. And even if you did care about grievances they decline at such a slow rate in the ultra late eras that it's already pointless in waiting for them to go away. That card is strictly a +10 combat strength with no actual downfall unless I'm missing something.

10. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Deity

You'd think that something called "Cyber Warfare" would instead give a bonus to spying and spying defense.

CPWimmer likes this.
  11. TheMarshmallowBear

TheMarshmallowBear Benelovent Chieftain of the BearKingdom

I think it refers to civs in specific areas as opposed to units of that Era. But the wording is really bizarre and I hope we do get some new toys, but if we did they'd surely talk about it in the preview video.

12. mmenphis

mmenphis Chieftain

Has got Firaxis a presentation on E3 this year? I didn't find any info about it.

Hawke9 likes this.
  13. Duuk

Duuk Doom-Sayer Supporter

You mean the ones that are still releasing new content and patches for games that are nearly 8 years old on a bi-monthly basis while we're begging Firaxis to release one content update a year and we're begging for patch scraps quarterly?

Give me the 50 dlc model.

Rup and Bechhold like this.
  14. _hero_

_hero_ King

I honestly don't think it was anything specific. I think it was just the typical marketing line to keep us interested and engaged. How often do you hear a company say the opposite? "We're done making content. Don't bother checking out social media there won't be any updates." I think it was a fancy way of saying "we're still developing Civ and not stopping any time soon"

SammyKhalifa likes this.
  15. acluewithout

acluewithout Deity

Apparently more than just marketing chat... see points two and three below...

16. Pietato

Pietato Platonic Perfection

3 more Portuguese city-states.

acluewithout likes this.
  17. acluewithout

acluewithout Deity

I assume Pax B now gives England a free Galley each time it builds a Factory. It will spawn in the Factory, and will be landlocked, but it will have teeny-tiny little wheels so it can drive around attacking land units.

AsH2, 679x, WillowBrook and 2 others like this.
  18. jozef57

jozef57 Warlord

i would really love that

19. Medopu

Medopu Warlord

So let's take this kind of a model and translate it into civilization, shall we?

First of all, forget about civilization 6. Devs would allocate all resources to work tirelessly on civ 5 all the time, packing it with new improvements and features. Of course there would be nice quality improvements, but you would never see districts or any other major revamps that were thought up by developers, because they would change too much of the original civ5 game formula.

I don't want to say that "polishing a single civ game with minor dlc's forever" would be objectively worse, all i'm saying is that i prefer the way we have it now, because when we do get the content updates, expansion packs and sequels, they really do change the gameplay experience significantly. I'm personally a huge proponent of quality > quantity.

tedhebert and acluewithout like this.
  20. Pietato

Pietato Platonic Perfection

Not necessarily. Cyber warfare is also about attacking computerised equipment, like the Information Era units.