1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

What surprise do you think Anton Strenger teased about?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Rup, Jun 3, 2019.

1. Boris Gudenuf

Boris Gudenuf Warlord

- And any previous Era units still in use in the Information Era: Computer enhancements have been added to almost everything from WWII-Era (Modern/Atomic Era) artillery pieces getting computerized communications and fire control to older jet aircraft now firing computerized missiles using computerized radars.
    Even basic Ground Pounder infantry now works with computerized GPS, communications, surveillance devices, support weaponry, etc.

Cyber Warfare should apply to just about everything in the Information Era

2. Rup

Rup Chieftain

About free updates I agree but as far as paid DLC policy goes I don't think it will work in Civilization.
    I am on the half that really support Paradox's DLC policy especially for CK2 but IPs are garbage in EU4.
    However that can work in Paradox's GSGs because of how sandboxy those are.
    In civ every features need to be deeply interconnected with each other.
    WoW expansion model might work in CIV but I'll rather have them start from scratch after 3 expansions as much as I love CIVI.

PS: You don't need to buy 50 DLCs to enjoy those games for 1000s of hours CK2 you need 3 must have DLCs,for EU4 you need 1 for HOI4 you need none,for Stellaris you need none and for vicky2 you need both.
    IDK why you two didn't mention the name of those games..hopefully am not breaking any rule here

Last edited: Jun 6, 2019
  3. WillowBrook

WillowBrook Lurker

Dennis Shirk said at the end of the livestream: "We are not done. There is some really cool stuff coming up. Can't talk about it yet."

Earlier, I was leaning toward Anton's comments referring simply to the June 2019 patch and the stuff they didn't discuss in the video (and there was some cool additional stuff revealed in the livestream - see that thread). But with those closing words from Dennis, I'm now thinking there's something beyond this patch.

And someone noted that the way the game and expansion pack banners were arranged in the livestream today made it look like there was a perfect space for one more.

I would still be surprised to get an expansion pack announcement before October, but that seems the most likely to me at the moment. Of course, I could totally be misreading the tea leaves...

4. darkace77450

darkace77450 Chieftain

There's still a lot they can do with colonialism/vassalage, late game ideological blocs, plenty of new Civilizations and wonders they can add, features that can be expanded upon, etc. There's certainly enough there for a 3rd expansion; the only question is whether or not the executives think another expansion would be more profitable than a sequel at this point. I hope the conclusion they come to is "yes".

Wolffleet, 679x, Ivan Hunger and 4 others like this.
  5. Elhoim

Elhoim Iron Tower Studio Dev

Seeing the long tail these games have, another expansion can end up being a lot of money in the long run.

679x, Ivan Hunger, Hawke9 and 2 others like this.
  6. dudikoff

dudikoff Chieftain

I'm hoping the surprise will be the release of all expansions and patches for the iPad

Kmart_Elvis likes this.
  7. Josephias

Josephias Chieftain

You all know the surprises will be the pig (a.k.a. churchill), mapache and turtle scout skins

Just kidding. Really, I'm thinking it would probably some other UI layer / lens / mod inclusions they are still testing. Small elements. (altough this could include some extra units).

Banner space is tempting, but altough I'd like a fourth expansion, I think it is still no time for it (if you want to consider a pattern, it should be February next year, with expansions becoming -more or less- a "season pass").

A spin-off announcement I can think it is more probable (I'd love BE II, as I think the previous game did not reach its full potential), but still less probable that some minor additions. And extra-leader DLC would be great, if they changed their mind about that.

8. Ivan Hunger

Ivan Hunger Chieftain

It would pretty much have to be. Video game art assets are enormously expensive, and getting more expensive all the time.

A sequel would mean redoing all the art assets over again from scratch. An expansion means you only need art assets for the new stuff.

acluewithout and pokiehl like this.
  9. BackseatTyrant

BackseatTyrant Queer Anarchotranshumanist

Wait, hasn't the secret already been revealed? And didn't it turn out to just be "hey, we integrated this popular mod into the base game"?

10. sonicmyst

sonicmyst Warlord

With the inclusion of support for multiplatform, I believe Civ6 has longer life than the previous civ games, which means another expansion is better than having Civ7 at this point.

There are many things that can be added in this game:
    - staple civs like Portugal, Byzantium, etc etc
    - mechanics involving colonization and economy (recession, stock market, corporations, economic victory)
    - improved warfare and alliances (world wars, allies and axis powers, anyone?)

And beyond this expansion, we are all still waiting for extra leaders, mod support for custom mechanics and scenarios, advanced map maker, the return of map animation after victory, etc

AsH2, Jkchart, Hawke9 and 3 others like this.
  11. V. Soma

V. Soma long time civ fan

My bet is they are trying to release Civ7 in 2021 - at the 30th anniversary...
    So they are already has begun working on it...

Hawke9 likes this.
  12. Nobody

Nobody Gangster

Pirates 3!!!

SammyKhalifa likes this.
  13. Corozivu

Corozivu Chieftain

Could they be planning Civ 1,2 or 3 HD or reforged or something like that ? All the other cool franchises seem to be doing it and making a profit (except Homm 3 HD which was hot garbage). Right now Civ 3 is more or less unplayable on modern PCs ...

14. blackcatatonic

blackcatatonic Queen of Meme

I took it as a general "we are not done with creating content for this game, watch this space" so I'm not sure whether to expect a specific announcement soon.

I've been convinced we will have a third expansion pretty much since Gathering Storm came out (number of blank slots in the HoF, so many Civs are still missing, the Assembling Typhoon leaker saying we will have one... there's just too much in favour of it to ignore). It does feel really soon though. On the other hand, if they are planning a smaller expansion with fewer new mechanics, then given that GS was announced in November they could be gearing up for an early autumn announcement this time.

15. Abaxial

Abaxial Chieftain

What about the release of the source code?

16. WillowBrook

WillowBrook Lurker

No??? Especially given Dennis Shirk's emphatic comment that "We are not done" at the end of Thursday's livestream.

That would be welcomed by many, but I can't see them hyping it to a general audience.

Jkchart and Kimiimaro like this.
  17. Tiger Genocide

Tiger Genocide Chieftain

I strongly disagree. Cyberwarfare is not just about information era units. When rogue state actors or other superpowers can attack your banks, your hospital systems, or you electrical grids that should translate to a blanket bonus against all units for sure. Malware can cripple all kinds of systems and there are plenty of real world examples. Older computerized nations are more vulnerable than up to date ones. Would not have been a bad idea to have an even bigger Cyberwarfare mechanic that could lower city strength too. Either way, +10 combat strength is nasty. That could be a one shot on some units.

18. Boris Gudenuf

Boris Gudenuf Warlord

What exactly are you strongly disagreeing with? I stated flatly, and you quoted me, saying that
    "Cyber Warfare should apply to just about everything in the Information Era"
    and I made the explicit point that that applies to previous-era units still running about in the Information Era.

That it applies to things other than Units I did not explicitly state, because I was commenting on a previous Post that specifically addressed Units. Excuse me.

The reason that Cyber Warfare doesn't apply before the Information Era is that to Screw Things Up You Need A Computer - and connected computers to Really screw things up. I've lived through both the Atomic and Information Eras, and my father (Pre-Atomic Era) was one of the earliest "Cyber Warfare" people in the US Military back before WWII when 'Cyber Warfare" was limited to intercepting radio and telephone communications, decoding other people's communications, and jamming or sending false messages on other people's networks. The jamming and fake message traffic actually got pretty sophisticated towards the end of WWII, but it was all charmingly primitive compared to what can be done with 'real' computers, computer-controlled systems and electronic machine-to-machine communications, all of which are Information Era developments.

19. RohirrimElf

RohirrimElf Chieftain

30-50 years into the future it should be possible to create drone swarms that could cripple your enemy on the battlefield and neutralise his cities. Little flying drones that could be produced for less money then buying yourself a hamburger. Flying around with explosives.

There could be world councils aimed for blocking aggressive civs from rare resources. Like China could do in a trade wars against USA. Some “rare” once in a game resolutions could be created that are extra powerfull.

There should be plenty of options available to spice up the late game. Extra units besides the gdr and gamechanging options.

Jkchart and acluewithout like this.
  20. Abaxial

Abaxial Chieftain

As someone once said about future warfare: "If you can see it, you can hit it, and if you can hit it, you can kill it".