1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

What symbols will the new religions use?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by bcaiko, May 1, 2013.

1. Hans Castorp

Hans Castorp Prince

My gret aunt, a nun, once went to buy a cross pendant for a niece's first communion. The girl in the shop told her she had two options - the plain ones or the ones with a little man on them...

2. Louis XXIV

Louis XXIV Le Roi Soleil

While it's a symbol of the Papacy, it's not a commonly used symbol for the rest of Catholics. In other words, it's far more of just a Vatican symbol not a Catholic symbol.

3. turingmachine

turingmachine Emperor

I don't, but I do think it's annoying that civs don't have a second preference (or better still) don' just choose a random religion next.

I'm tired of one early civ choosing Christianity, then the next civ always found Buddhism because it's the first religion on the left of the list, then Confucianism, etc. etc., and going through them in alphabetical order. It's the same every game. Have them just choose a random civ in this case.

4. TheMarshmallowBear

TheMarshmallowBear Benelovent Chieftain of the BearKingdom

I actually think that they will always pick a religion that will never be picked by anybody else, if Siam is in the game they will never pick Buddhism first but will skip it. I'm not entirely sure but I think there's logic tot here. I saw it once, and Sejong wasn't in and Confucianism was picked next.

5. Josephias

Josephias Emperor

Hear! Hear! I think this will solve most of problems better than adding three versions of the same religion. Heh, it could even work by them choosing a symbol, but a more "obscure", civilization-related religion denomination.

E.G. Spain main preference is obviously Christian, but it won't be so odd it ends up Jewish or Islamic (at some point it was a melting pot of all three religions - christianity got the upper hand, but it is not difficult to think it could have come up otherwise). You could even have Judaism being renamed "Sefardism", to give it a more "spanish" flavour.

Going to greater lenghts... if I get a religion with France, I often end choosing Star of David to represent, not Judaism, but Freemasonry (widening the concept of religion to any kind of "ideals" organization, right). This could also work for England and the U.S. in example.

Maybe Tengrii and Zoroastrian symbols could be used to represent other specific religions for Old American and Asian civs? (maybe Zoroastrism could be use as well as Mitraism for Rome, and Greece?)

I think there are many different possibilities not considered before going with the cheap Christianity split -- which itself does not solve much for some civs: IMHO, it is as pointless for Rome being Ortodox or Protestant than being Budhist (or even more)

6. VSorceress

VSorceress Chieftain

When I see the Roman Catholicism Symbol, all I keep thinking about is the Assassin's Creed Templars :p

I wonder if they are going to add the ancient Greeks religion, Hellenismos.. Would be fitting with Alexender, and even Rome had borrowed from it as well.

7. Art Grin

Art Grin Emperor

Probably not, most classical pagan religions currently fall under the pantheon beliefs. Greece is definitely going to be Eastern Orthodox along with Russia, Byzantium and Ethiopia, while Rome will most likely be Catholic.

8. TheMarshmallowBear

Unlikely, Hell, the only reason they are splitting Christianity is because they already have the icons made.

9. spyroware

spyroware Chieftain

I doubt it'll happen but I hope Eastern Orthodox is renamed simply Orthodoxy. Why is that geographical designation needed :/ its makes it look ugly

10. TheMarshmallowBear

Probably because Orthodoxy only happened in Eastern Europe.

11. Art Grin

Art Grin Emperor

I believe Eastern Orthodoxy and Roman Catholicism will probably just be called Orthodoxy and Catholicism in BNW.

12. spyroware

spyroware Chieftain

Obviously :mischief: .. but there's no Western/Roman Catholicism in game, it's Catholicism (there's Greek catholicism too, and some areas such such as Southern Italy/Hungary started off as Orthodox and they're not exactly eastern.)

Eastern Orthodoxy, dunno feels somewhat patronising, a very West-centric description. Arguably less so than having 'Eastern Christianity' but still unnecessary.

13. Louis XXIV

Louis XXIV Le Roi Soleil

^ Catholicism and Orthodoxy are the most appropriate names because they're names that are well-understood. Both the Roman church and Greek church claim to be Catholic (Universal) and they both claim to be Orthodox (Following the True Beliefs Without Deviation). But Roman church and Greek church would also not be great choices for names because Rome could choose Orthodoxy and Greece could choose Catholicism in games.

Speaking of which, Happy Easter for those people.

Well, who borrowed what in the Ancient Mediterranean is a complicated thing (not just the Romans but the Etruscans and others had similar gods).

That being said, the religions in the game are deliberately chosen as currently existing religions. So the Egyptian, Mesopotamian, Greek, and Norse gods are all represented by Pantheons.

14. spacedinosaur

spacedinosaur Chieftain

Depending on the map size, there are a certain maximum number of religions that can be claimed per game. For this reason, I think more choices could be warranted, and provide more options for those civs that lack a represented religion. :king: