What tall civs have a strong military?

I'm not really sure what this question is asking, having a strong military is more about playstyle than specific civs except those with strong UUs I guess. In that department, there's China and Korea, and maybe Incas.

I assume you want to play tall colonialistic: 4-5 cities on your own, the rest are puppets.

I'd say Rome. Since most of your cities are going to be puppets, you gain a lot by not losing their buildings in the siege. Legion also comes on line at the time you need to fight for expanding your borders. But you need to settle near some iron first, and you might not be lucky enough.

EDIT. In case you just want a pacific tall civ very capable of defending itself, I'd point you to Inca. Shooting from mountains is a very safe way to protect your land. Don't venture into flat lands, though.

Last edited:
I assume that by "tall" you mean "compact" as in few cities, city-size doesn't really limit expansion or the other way around in VP, so the whole Tall vs Wide debate is dead.

As for compact, I don't necessarily think civs are compact, it's about playstyle. Yeah some civs benefits more from staying on a low number of cities than others, and some civs have a way easier time supporting massive expansion.

If you're actually talking about Tall, as in cities with big populations, population directly benefits unit supply-cap so taller cities always helps you field bigger armies. But India, China and Aztecs specifically comes to mind I suppose.

Korea with their double strike artillery is a force to be reckoned with both in offence and defence.

Thanks guys. All of this was more or less what I was looking for.

Top Bottom