1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

What techs to skip.

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by ggganz, Jul 9, 2006.

1. ggganz

ggganz a.k.a. The Scyphozoa

I like to plan out my entire :science: tree on the first turn. I usually skip Fascism and Flight until right before Future Tech. Is this a good strategy? What :science: do you skip?

2. Ronin228

Ronin228 Chieftain

How can you plan your entire tree? I find I need to change my research based on current events, like a big war might force me to research some military techs.

3. ggganz

If you mean how is it possible: use [shift].
    If you mean how is it practical: in the hints section of the civilopedia, it says not to focus on one type of :science:. I go by column until I get to Rocketry.

4. malekithe

malekithe King

If you're looking for techs to skip, try Archery, Horseback Riding, Theology, Divine Right, Democracy, Fascism, and maybe Military Tradition and Communism.

Also, do you mean to say that you manually research every tech all the way to rocketry? No tech trading? No techs from Great People? What happens if you had planned on finding Copper for some axemen, but there's none nearby? Do you continue with your research and just hope everyone leaves you alone until you have something adequate to defend yourself?

I think you'll find this kind of longterm planning a very poor idea. Set short term goals and adapt to the situation while keeping a handful of very general mid and long term gaols in mind. Civ is a dynamic game and not one to be planned from start to finish.

5. ggganz

I didn't say manually. Trade is good, great people is great. I said I go by column, the way the tree is organized.
    Archery: need archers
    Horseback riding and Military tradition: need cavalry
    Theology: need theocracy
    Divine right: don't need, but usually want, spiral minaret
    Democracy: NEED emancipation, citizens very unhappy without.
    Facsism: already skip
    Communism: need state property
    see title. everything you posted, anyway.

6. malekithe

malekithe King

Why? They aren't any good.
    That's still a very good argument for skipping Horseback riding until it's needed.
    Well, if you want Theocracy, okay, but I seriously doubt you need it. It's pretty much the same thing as Vassalage (only worse). For a very long time, the extra 2 XP added to 6 won't make much difference.
    Fine, but it's still a very (if not the most) skippable tech.
    A good argument to skip it until you need it.
    sometimes you can actually get more out of free market.

If you aren't skipping those, there aren't many others I could recomend. Looks like you may be stuck researching everything but Fascism...:mischief:

7. ggganz

And flight. And, the time I wind up researching Democracy is about the time Emancipation becomes a problem.

8. malekithe

malekithe King

I wouldn't recomend skipping flight. Aircraft are remarkably useful when waging modern wars.

9. ggganz

10. naterator

naterator Bravely running away

i agree with malekithe on basically all his points. skipping flight makes wars drag on way too long. i skip artillary often, because i'm going straight for bombers. give me 10 bombers and 5 tanks. and i can take the world. all you need is infantry to airdrop into your new bomber bases for protection. airports are incredibly useful. a trade route and the ability to teleport troops instantly to where they're needed are worth the hammers and sick face.
    archery is only needed when you realize there's no metal nearby.
    divine right is worthless unless you found islam, even then, it's kind of expensive.

11. Ordom

Ordom Chieftain

I always skip meditation

12. theimmortal1

theimmortal1 Prince

Depends on the game. Tech trading is your friend, use it.

13. Palpster

Palpster Chieftain

just out of curiosity ggganz, what difficulty level do you usually play on?

14. MrCynical

MrCynical Deity

I'd agree with some of these, but not others. Horseback riding and Military tradition I'd agree with, since cavalry units aren't that useful. Archery I'd agree with in hte even that you have no iron or copper. Theology and divine right are a relatively low priority, but I might pick up for a late religion, and they're also valuable to trade. Democracy and Communism are not only not skippable, but a very high priority, for the civics they allos, an dpowerful wonders which appear late enough ot have a crack at even at high difficultly level. Facism is virtually useless to my approach, and I frequently never research it.

I would also add Flight to the list of skippable techs if you're going for a non conquest/domination victory. Aircraft are not effective defenders.

15. ggganz

I just moved up to noble, but I haven't won a game yet.

16. Argoth

Argoth Chieftain

This would be why. You have to be able to change, don't tech one line in the tech tree until the very end. Its silly. Move them only as needed, which meanstech one really far ahead if you see fit. If you are getting ready for war, naturally you'd want your next few techs to be militaristic in nature. If your economy's went down the drain, perhaps try getting some economic techs. You can NOT plan your tech tree from the beginning of the game.

When to skip techs? Skip them if they have no immediate value or are way to expensive to be practical. Why would you sit there and research Civil Service for 71 turns, just because its the next tech in a particular column? You wouldn't. This time would be much better spend getting techs that won't take as long and will still be useful. Eventually your science output will be great enough that grabbing that tech isn't outrageous and that's when you should grab it.

17. jayseedubya

jayseedubya Chieftain

I agree with divine right, fascism, hb riding, archery, even hunting if there are no camp sites around. Meditation is another one I skip until I can get it in one or two turns when I need philosophy for a GP to pop the tech. Fascism is needed if you want permanent alliances (if you turn them on).

18. ggganz

Maybe I can skip HB Riding until just before Cavalry, so it goes faster.

19. Sisiutil

Sisiutil All Leader Challenger

I never rule out skipping any techs. Some I make a higher priority than others, and some I prefer to trade for rather than research on my own, but the map and changing circumstances will dictate what I research and in what order.

That being said, there are definitely some techs in most of my games that are perrenial low priorities:

Archery: Only gives you access to a relatively weak unit. If you hook up copper early enough, Axemen are much stronger and more versatile. Longbowmen are very good, though, so I usually try to trade for it before I get Feudalism.

Meditation: I used to always research this one on the way to Priesthood and the Oracle, but now I research the slightly more expensive Polytheism instead because it's a prerequisite for Literature. I still want to trade for it ASAP, though; monasteries are very useful.

Horseback Riding: Horse Archers are just not that great of a unit. Chariots are just as mobile if I need a unit with that ability. They're weaker but are cheaper in several respects. However, Knights and Cavalry are useful for whomping enemy pillagers, so again, I like to trade for this one by the tiime I get Guilds.

Divine Right: Unless you need/want one or both of the wonders, you can skip this entirely. If you get a tech lead, the AI will offer it too you ad nauseaum.

Fascism: I usually capture the Pyramids by the time it's available, so I have access to Police State, and there are other ways to deal with war weariness besides Mt. Rushmore.

However, there are some techs that have been suggested as low priorities which I disagree with:

Military Tradition: Cavalry are great, as I mentioned, for defending your territory from pillagers and your conquests from counter-attack. If you get them early enough, before the AI has gunpowder units, they make very good city attackers too. I like building West Point in my Heroic Epic city: faster unit production and a super-barracks.

Theology: A Great Prophet can pop this one. First, you can found Christianity. Second, you can run the warmongering Theocracy civic (A GP won't pop Feudalism for Vassalage, so you have to wait longer). Finally, you can build the Sistine Chapel, which is handy if you're considering a cultural victory and/or are not a Creative civ.

Democracy: Universal Suffrage lets you rush-buy buildings. Emancipation can hurt other civs if you run it first. The growth bonus to villages and towns can turbo-charge your economy. And the Statue of Liberty is a very good mid-game wonder, allowing you to leave Mercantilism behind for better civics.

Communism: The Kremlin, State Property, Spies... skip it? You're kidding me, right?

20. ggganz

Do Cavalry also ignore city fortifications?