What the 2° xp will add to gameplay?

What would you like firaxis should add in the 2°xp? Pick 3 choices

• i don't ask too much just add more civs and more leaders

Votes: 25 21.0%
  • tons of new units

Votes: 26 21.8%
  • 2 UU for every civ

Votes: 25 21.0%
  • air and naval warfare improved(unique promotions,new missions and units)

Votes: 66 55.5%
  • more resources

Votes: 18 15.1%
  • more technologies

Votes: 27 22.7%
  • more city improvements and wonders

Votes: 30 25.2%
  • diplomacy improved (more treaties, some civ4 dipl. weaknesses fixed)

Votes: 68 57.1%
  • trade routes and trade system changes

Votes: 23 19.3%
  • civil war,clashes between ethnic groups in a city

Votes: 42 35.3%
  • UN improved with more choices and possibility to leave it

Votes: 38 31.9%
  • new types of terrain

Votes: 24 20.2%
  • new worker improvements

• just add more and more scenarios

• nomadic and sedentary civs

Votes: 17 14.3%
  • new leader traits

Votes: 30 25.2%
  • more GP types

• new religions and more differentiation among them

• better ideas........explain what are

Votes: 9 7.6%

• Total voters

marioflag

History Addict
Warlords seems to be a good expansion from the new content described:
-3 new leader traits
-vassal state
-warlord unit
-unique civ buildings
-6 new civs and 10 new leaders

So i'm wondering what firaxis will introduce in the 2°xp and on what you would firaxis should concentrate their effort?

I choose "better ideas" b/c I had a different idea than what was up there, don't know if it's neccessarily better per say, but that's a matter of opinion ;)

Anywho, the 3rd new/improved feature I'd like to see in the xpac would be....

To just improve combat all around. Civ4 is a great game, and war between nations is a LARGE part of it. I really think the battles could use some general improvement. More unit types and promotions would certainly help, but so would bringing back the army concept. The Warlord idea sounds like it could be really neat and add alot of depth to combat strategizing, but I have trouble with the Warlord concept without being to put my units into armies with Warlords as the "generals".

I need it to be faster.

Right now, movement between units and clicks is at the speed of a glacier.

I choose the Nomadic and sedantary civs, new leader traits, more GP types.

Ever since I herd about the Genghis Khan scenario, I have been interested in a nomadic military kind of thing in the general game. I think the conquerors should have something like that as they tended to conquer with a superior, self suficient army that just went around conquering everything.

I chose new leader traits because I cannot see why (apart from balance issues) they just don't make 15-20 traits and allow for a more accurate trait combination for each leader. Right now, Expansive doesn't represent expansion that well. It represents both territorial expansion and growth. Maybe splitting them up into 2 distinct groups where each focus on a particular aspect of expansion would help.

And lastly, more GP types. I would love the idea of having it build to a point where you can have a 'GP economy'. Maybe just by leaving these units in cities will give a bonus to the city. The unit can then move to another city and help with that one. That would be cool. You could have traders, scholars, etc.

Watiggi

I chose the Nomadic/sedentary, diplo improvements, new terrain(swamps for example). I would also like several of the others - esp. civil wars or how about religious wars where if a Religious war - jihad or crusade starts all members of the 2 or more religions "have" to join in. Makes Free Religion a nice safe place.
And of Course more than 6 more new civs, and at least 2/3 of them being really new civs not ones from the previous Civ games. :crazyeye:

My votes were for:

-Air and Naval upgraded.
-Trade route and trade system changes.
-UN choices

Honorable mention:
-Diplomacy improved. While it is good, it has some minor problems that hinders the AI more than preventing exploits.
-New leader traits, I already know they are coming with it, but I also feel this would touch balancing them all out a bit more.
-2 UUs for every civ. This would add a bit more differientiating gameplay through the game rather than in a specific era. I think the 2 UUs should come in different ages. (preferably with an entire age between them.) But this seems more like wishful thinking.
-GP types. (More so a readdressing of GP roles.) I think a Great merchant should be more like Watiggi describes. That you can make a route for him to add to a trade empire. Like rather than have the worthless trade mission give you a bulk of cash, have it establish a trade route with the target city that is worth like +1-5ish gold in and of itself. (Based off distance.. or even resources.. something like that) But this is why I voted for trade system. The system as it is, is very basic and trade has played a large role in civilizations' histories. Not so much in cIV.

Well, I'm currently annoyed at the way the UN works, specifically how universally-loved model global citizens (such as myself in most games) who should be able to breeze through a UN vote can never win diplomatically even when everyone is Universal Suffrage/Free Speech/Emancipation/Free Religion, while nasty, brutal dictators can win election by cowing everyone on the map and conquering everyone who doesn't vote for him.

I'd also like to see UN Peacekeeping operations implemented, possibly like so, tho it'll need to be changed (the plan was drafted long before any but the vaguest details about Civ 4 were releasted)

I chose just about everything, im a dreamer!

what I'd like to see is for a holy city to declare a holy war against another religion. Then each civ would have the choice to either change religion, or participate in the war until the other holy city has been captured.

"trade routes and trade system changes"

we allready got trade routes....
they are more important then ever in civ4....

I voted air/naval warfare improvement, and this is how i would like it improved:

1. Submarines can choose which unit to attack in a stack at the cost of X moves, where X is maybe 3 or whatever still makes em well balanced.
2. Artillery can "bombard" naval units (not the suicidal way).
3. Naval units can "bombard" ground units (not the suicidal way).

On the things I didn't vote for because of your wording or groupings.

1. I like the occassional rare civil wars from Civ I. Those were cool. However, I think Firaxis ought to leave anything to do with ethnicity alone. They obviously have some severely distorted shameful stereotypes that border, if not outright hop over the line of, racism.

2. I'm working on a mod that scraps their unique unit system as it exists now. In my system, a civ gets to choose a new unique unit as it progresses through an era. Once they choose which unit associated with a tech in that era is going to be their special unit, that unit will get a set of special abilities, likely closely related to the type of unit. The player will also get to give the unit a special name (still working out how to do this implementation). This will add some strategy to unique units and give everybody the opportunity to have that 'overpowered' unit at near the same time, thus balancing the game amongst differing civs greatly.

3. I'd like to do away with the traits system as it is now. Very stereotyped and based on Firaxis' rather peculiar interpretation of ... history ... for lack of a better word. I think the player should get to choose their own traits and that this should be able to change throughout a game. Haven't looked at this code yet though and so I'm not certain of the implementation. Basically I just want to imprint my own traits onto my civ. Not be forced into these traits based on some perverse predjudiced perception of reality, no matter whose perception that might be.

4. I'd like to keep this sort of 'automatic' way of doing trade. But it would be cool if it could somehow occassionally be more personal and interactive. I don't really have any idea how to do this. I like the current system in that it requires no management. But maybe if there was some sort of bonus opportunity based on a particular resource? There are a lot people here who have better ideas on that sort of thing than I care to develop. I'd be open to trying anything special.

5. They can get rid of the entire religious system. I wouldn't be sad if Firaxis tossed the whole mess into the garbage and never looked back.

I think if they do a second civ xp then they should give some of us non programmers some codes for other units I've been trying for ages to get a working code for the cruise missile they should give us this code + 1 missile then we can add to it. I have asked people that know c/c++ in the forum to do a working code for us but they are doing other things. :cry: :cry: :cry:

@Flak

I have had the same ideas as you about choosing traits and UU. I was thinking of using GP to do that kind of thing.
Basicaly, every civ starts with no traits and no UU's. When you get a GP you have 2 new things which you can do. Firstly, use him to gain a trait (related to the kind of GP it is) and secondly, use him to create a UU. This basicaly gives a small-medium bonus to a particualr unit type of your choice.
If you want a second trait, it will cost you 2 GP . The same for getting a second UU. I haven't looked at the code needed to do this, but I think that more in game customisation is always a good thing.

a huge advance would be to attack shipping. thats what made navies so powerful in reality. if u could attack someone's economy through ur navy ppl would build navies.

Well... I prefer choosing your Traits+UU before the game, because I think they should be kept as 'Combos' so that All possible combos of traits+UUs and UBs don't have to be balanced.

To correct Firaxis' history deficit, the best solution would be to allow you to
1. pick your 'Trait+UU+UB' Combo... already done
2. Pick what your Civ+Leader will be Called... already done
3. Pick your City List, UU Name, UB Name, Banner, and Leader Portrait (The City List could be for Many more civs than a 'Trait+UU+UB' Combo is done for)
.. a place for all the Canada, Confederate, and Croatian civs... so that you can play them just by putting them on top of someone else.

Attacking Shipping..and other trade routes... should definitely be key. (even just a much wider range for ships to 'blockade')

I think a key change would be in some degree of civil war.. much larger than in Civ1 so that any City at any time can potentially consider breaking off (although it would be preventable by appeasing them.)
A game where you worried just as much about your own cities as your enemies.
This Should connect to Diplomacy (As your relationships with cities will be slightly more like that to Vassal States).. and would connect to the UN, which would allow the goal of essentially making all the civs into one (the same way as you keep all your cities and Vassals and Protectorates in one empire)... as well as many other ways.

Perhaps Civ4:Rebellion (or Civ4:Liberation)

I just can't see why they don't remove the traits all together and instead give specfic bonuses to each individual leader. It is becoming a bit hard to take when traits are designed to mean different things because there are only so many traits. Their bonuses tends to loose its meaning and accuracy.

Maybe a better strategy would be to just give bonuses individual to each leader (like half price to all archer units for one leader, or military promotions being cheaper for one warmonger and allowing the military units to be cheaper for another or allow military unit supply costs to be free for another). The results I think would be better.

Watiggi

As far as this traits thing goes, I think there should just be a way for you to make yourself as the leader. (pick your own traits.) You can have a default or generic leaderhead for this and leave it up to anyone interested to customize a mod leaderhead. One day I would like to try out leaderhead creation as some of them do look cool. It is just hard not seeing the original persona in them for me. It would have been nice if firaxis gave out some free generics.

I chose almost everything. In particular, I would like to see:

Air units have promotions.
Lots more units.
Far larger tech tree.
Differentiation between religions, and more bonuses from having them.

drkodos said:
I need it to be faster.

Right now, movement between units and clicks is at the speed of a glacier.
Try turning off most of the animations in the options. That's what I did.

Top Bottom