1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[NFP] What the December Update really encourages.

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Lily_Lancer, Dec 16, 2020.

1. Tech Osen

Tech Osen Emperor

I'm not one of those but I think the point they are trying to make is that this might work beter in the early game, before zoo's and waterparks make amenities a lot easier.

2. Pirate Hamster

Pirate Hamster Chieftain

I wonder if the AI has been tweaked to prefer farms and growth less. They always seem to build large cities.

And I seem to remember that in a previous pass they increased the AI priority for slotting Rationalism. I could be remembering incorrectly, but this seems like it will affect he AI in a meaningful way.

3. Equilin

Equilin King

They just need to let the area bonus from zoos and stadiums stack again! I can understand IZ stacks being OP, but the current amenity threshold mean EC wont be OP even with stacking

Ircher likes this.
  4. leandrombraz

leandrombraz Emperor

Not even minmaxers, considering that this is a worse case scenario. You might need to control growth in a few cities, but it's unlikely that you'll find yourself in a situation where keeping your cities at 4 pop to avoid the penalty actually makes sense. Just adopting Classical Republic already give you +1 amenity in every city with a district. You might get suzerainty over Buenos Aires, Cahokia, Muscat or Zanzibar; You can build the Colosseum, Temple of Artemis and Huey Teocalli, you can trade for luxuries with the AI. I like to grow my cities and even without the free 1 pop, it hasn't been hard to keep all cities with at least 0 amenities, often more than that, even without the Colosseum. If anything, this update encourages you to adopt Classical Republic and increases the value of anything that gives early amenities..

The EC already stacks with the Water Park, so you can get +6 amenities on each city from the regional effect, plus +2 from the district and tier 1 building in the city that has it, +1 in the Stadium if you adopt Sports Media. That's a lot of amenities already. Stacking as much as you want, like it worked before, would be broken and it would encourage players to spam ECs everywhere. IMO it's a better design to encourage building only a few ECs and WPs in strategic positions. The regional effect is fine as it is, what really needs a buff is the local amenities you get from the district and tier 1 building, so it makes sense to build them early. As it's now, it's hard to justify building an EC before you unlock the Zoo, aside from building it to get the Colosseum.

They could also add a regional effect lens, while they are at it...

5. Buktu

Buktu Prince

You can always chop/buy stuff. Or prebuild military units early and upgrade them afterwards. Also there will be some bigger cities with better production (3 or 4 maybe, those where you are going for spaceports later on) where you can build units/wonders.

6. Earl of Pembroke

Earl of Pembroke Chieftain

Religion is a great indirect tool for boosting amenities. Faith generated can lead to National Parks (+2 amenities for the host city and also +1 amenity to four nearby cities)
    And, to a lesser degree, you can use faith to "buy" Stupas as the tier 3 religious building to generate +1 amenity in that city.

Pfeffersack and 8housesofelixir like this.
  7. enKage

enKage Follower of Zoamelgustar

Luckily 4 pop cities will be constantly disloyal :)

8. criZp

criZp Emperor

I agree with you, but it would be preferable if the more fun playstyle wasn't the inferior one.

Elhoim likes this.
  9. Elhoim

Elhoim Iron Tower Studio Dev

I think Civ should go back again to pop creating yields and buildings/adjacency working as modifiers instead of having yields without any population required to get them.

10. The googles do nothing

The googles do nothing King

No wonder the AI has trouble planing it's cities when us meatbags can't figure it out. I've always just naturally filled in the 'bad locations' in my empire with cities later in the game without really thinking about the effects of amenities. I'll have to think about settling those extra cites.

@anonxanemone @Lily_Lancer I would be interested to see the Civic output of those city calculations.

Ircher and Earl of Pembroke like this.
  11. Lily_Lancer

Lily_Lancer Deity

For each level of amenity you gain 3 loyalty, for each level of unhappiness you gain 3 disloyalty. So 4-pop ecstatic cities will be more loyal than large unhappy cities in fact.

12. enKage

Correct me if I am wrong, cause I had a really long brake from civving, but it is not true.
    First of all, not level of ammenity, but level of happiness, and level of happiness is let's say 2 ammenities
    The highest bonus from happiness you can get is +6. From unhappiness -12 in theory. In practice I have never seen lower happiness level than -2, so -6 loyalty. To get penalty of -3 to loyality, you need 4 population.

And here is the clue.
    The main source of loyality is population and regional pressure. Every pop is 0,5-2 loyality. Also only population loyality is used to make pressure on other cities, and happiness level is not a factor.

In golden era 4 population is 8 loyality, so +5 loyality if we take into account -3 from changing happiness level (if it will change, you can still have enough ammenity). Also normal age is loyality positive. All those people make pressure on neraby cities too.

Let us imagine 5 cities in a cross, 5 tiles away from the central cities. 3 are players', 2 are AI. Player keep cities at 4 pop, AI grows to 10pop.

Your central city loyality from population in golden era is:
    8 from a city, 8 from 2 nearby cities, total 16
    If AI cities are in golden era too, they make a pressure of 20 on your cities. Here you really need those bonus from happiness to keep loyality.
    If there are 3 AI cities vs 2 player's cities, your cities are losing loyality.

What happens if you dont get golden era and AI gets? Your 4pop city needs a governor, because even with max happiness level it is 14 versus 20. Your cities are low pop and fragile to religious pressure, so can flip to AI's religion causing even more loyality concerns.

-----

I am not declining 4 pop cities approach.
    We just need to be aware, that on borders it is a little fragile and we need 7pop cities there or one big city making significant loyality pressure on those tiny settlements

13. Lily_Lancer

Lily_Lancer Deity

Sadly there're so many misinformation on this forum, that people without even knowing the correct loyalty formula are challenging using his own formulas which I have nothing to say about.

There have already been a lot of discussions about loyalty on this forum, why not browse yourself and correct your formula, before making any challenges?

14. enKage

So i wrote correct me if I am wrong

Instead as usual you started humilating

I've mistaken 2 and 1,5 for golden era, that's right and the formula domestic vs foreign in cross example too.

Still, not counting loyality pressure from surrounding cities
    - happiness level of city A has no effect of loyality in city B, only population has
    - 4 more population in golden era is +6 loyality, 4 pop translates to 1 happiness level, so -3. This is still +3 loyality for this city. In normal era it is +1
    Show me my mistake here, please, if you claim small cities are more loyal than big cities. The only case is dark age

As a consequence, 4 pop border city is less resistant than 8 pop border city to loyality pressure, because it itself has less own loyality and if surrounded by similar size cities, recieves also less loyality support.
    If AI decides for breaad and circus, loyality will drop, so your +20% suddenly turns into -25%

Elhoim and Pfeffersack like this.
  15. Vargas1

Vargas1 Prince

The broader point is correct though - that loyalty bonuses from happiness level are limited in comparison to the impact of population on loyalty.

Also, I'd be careful about calling people out for misinformation when you yourself were imprecise with your language. For "each level of amenity" is not the same thing as "each level of unhappiness," and makes a big difference to the point you're trying to make.

16. Ticio

Ticio Prince

I have just started a game as Japan.

I have lost the files (an unfortunate accident, the game was very very promising), but before Iost the them, I had discover a place with 2 lay lines adjacent to a wonder. After fast calculations, I was able to put a +10 holy site, +10 port district, +7 commercial hub.

All of that without mentioning that I was constructing Government plaza (+2 commercial hub, holy site and future districts) and more adjacencies were coming as I was founding another city close. I had the opportunity to make 2 industrial zone of +8 each... ALL of that in the same city!!

I think that japan + Hermetic order is insane and very fun!! one of the best games I ever had, even if very short...

Last edited: Dec 18, 2020
  17. Duke William of Normandy

Duke William of Normandy King of England & Unofficial Welcoming Committee

Unhappiness doesn't even exist in Civ 6, it's a Civ 5 thing.

18. Pietato

Pietato Emperor

A better argument would be central hubs surrounded by 4-7 pop cities.