What the heck do I do with great generals?

Mr_jones

Chieftain
At least in civ 4 you could do stuff with them in civ 5 it really doesn't seem like you can do much with great generals unless I'm missing something

If you have common borders with your enemy but don't want to take the city, steal luxury resources with them. I stole 4 luxes and uranium from France in my Aztec game recently. It was pretty fun watching Napoleon suffer.

Carthage once stole my land with a great general.
In the next few turns, Carthage became non existent

In the beginning it's easy to get GGs, but slows down as each extra one takes more combat xp. I find them invaluable and save most for the late game. I may use one, maybe two max, to claim a key border tile to get to an oil or aluminum resource.

With my standard map, emperor, domination style play I usually generate about 7-8 GGs from combat through the game.

What I find really invaluable is to save GGs to reach the way out of reach uranium. With 3 GGs I can stretch to reach practically any uranium and there's usually 2-3 uranium in weird places I end up using my horde of GGs to claim that otherwise I'd have to skip or plant a crappy city to obtain.

At least in civ 4 you could do stuff with them in civ 5 it really doesn't seem like you can do much with great generals unless I'm missing something
Citadel Spam? if your a Swed you could gift it to CS then get a ton of Influence.
Carthage once stole my land with a great general.
In the next few turns, Carthage became non existent
:lol: warmongering menace to the world

Great generals ain't that bad. Think about great admirals...

Too true! I play as England a lot. I really want my first GAd, second can be useful if the inexperienced fleet gets a bit shot up but after that they're no good to me at all and I usually end up generating 7 or 8.

GG's on the other hand are always useful.

I dont mind GAs - sometimes my boats do need a little fixing and they are good at that.
GGs - well - who doesn't want a 15% boost to combat?

They got 3 maybe more if you want to be creative but lets just say that they only got 3 useages because otherwise I would probably have to write to much for us all to read:)

First and probably most known is that they give a 15% (30% for China) strenght bonus for units in a 2 tiles radius from the General.
Pretty easy to use, just have a general close to their it is a battle and your units will fight more effective.

Secondly they can build a citadel.
Then you build a citadel you will get control over all tiles without a City that borders the citadel, even other Civs and CS tiles so you can use this to get control over enemy resources or make it easier to launch an attack on the enemy maybe even help you defend easier.
A citadel give the unit that is on it tile a 100% strenght bonus which allows it to defend well vs multiple enemies, also enemies take 20 damage each turn they end on a tile that borders a citadel under your control so citadels is very strong in defending chok points, you can even use multiple citadels to build a Great Wall basicly.

Third and thats is only for Sweden, you can gift generals for 90 influence points to a CS of you choice.

In the beginning it's easy to get GGs, but slows down as each extra one takes more combat xp. I find them invaluable and save most for the late game. I may use one, maybe two max, to claim a key border tile to get to an oil or aluminum resource.

With my standard map, emperor, domination style play I usually generate about 7-8 GGs from combat through the game.

What I find really invaluable is to save GGs to reach the way out of reach uranium. With 3 GGs I can stretch to reach practically any uranium and there's usually 2-3 uranium in weird places I end up using my horde of GGs to claim that otherwise I'd have to skip or plant a crappy city to obtain.

Hmm, yeah, they are much more valuable in late games. Alto, you can always use one or two to snatch Natural Wonder from CS or AI. :lol:

Great Admirals are very useful in my games, especially with the new "change port" function. I mostly play with naval civ, I use them quite a lot to heal my precious frigates when I bombard coastal cities.

I use GG to plant citadels in hostile territory, if the opponent picked the Tradition policy that increases city attack, if the terrain in covererd with hills, or in case of Great Wall (sometimes the three options in the same time :ar15:). Citadels also provides a friendly territory to heal my units faster, and I always bring a couple of workers with me on the frontline as engineers, they can build a road to bring quicly fresh troops and siege weapons, which can set up in the same turn, due to the road.

I'm fairly sure that planting a citadel on a resource only gives it to you instantly if it's a strategic resource. If it's a Callender resource you'll have to build a plantation, still getting an instant coal, oil or uranium mine is useful especially if it's under a jungle or marsh.

I'm fairly sure that planting a citadel on a resource only gives it to you instantly if it's a strategic resource. If it's a Callender resource you'll have to build a plantation, still getting an instant coal, oil or uranium mine is useful especially if it's under a jungle or marsh.

I might be wrong, but I think Citadels improve Strategic Resources, but Manufactories, Science Academies, and Customs Houses (GEng, GSci, and GMer improvements) improve luxuries.

I love doing that late game for uranium and aluminum and even luxuries or gold

If I have excess generals but not high enough of GPT then I will start settling the GGs onto strategical locations on the map.

A well placed citadel can protect a city from naval assault for very long long time.

I've seen several fleets get cut up badly by a citadel xD

In rough order of priority:

1) I use them to steal things from neighbors.
2) I use them to snag Tundra/Snow resources that a city would otherwise never get around to taking.
3) I use them to infill territory between cities that I otherwise wouldn't settle, but some dick like Hiawatha would.

Top Bottom