What the hell just happen?

Xellos-_^

Prince
I had a stack of 76 Cuirassier, 12 pikeman, 8 macman and 13 canon. They were on a flood plain. I declare war on william orange and he attack across a river it didn't even cycle through my entire but by the time it was over all canon were kill along with 9 cuirassier and i only killed 12 cuirassier. I was hit twice by trebuct as i saw the red (6 units with collateral damage came up). I didn't even see the animation for the battles between the canons and the cuirassier. And since willy was attack form across the river shouldn't my kill ratio better then 12:9 curiassiers? I hate to say the comp was cheating but that is a really bad streak of rolls for me.

The cannons werre probably severly damaged by flank attacks, and maybe he had lots of promos/amphibious?

The cannons werre probably severly damaged by flank attacks, and maybe he had lots of promos/amphibious?
i check the survivors in the stack, they were divided between combat 1 and 2 and flank 1 and 2. I didn't even see the attacks on canons. Are telling me by attack across a enemy cuirassier were able to both attack my cuirassier and canon at the same time?

Yes. Flanking damage is applied when an enemy mounted unit wins a battle or withdraws successfully.

Yes, it was flanking damage (feature in BtS). His curassiers and yours were likely pretty evenly matched so it probably didn't take more than 5-6 flanking hits to kill each cannon (each flank does damage to some number of units - forget the exact limit for curassiers but he probably maxed out - equal to the HP done in a round against defenders)- if you're right about 9 units of his winning or retreating this was enough to kill a significant number of your cannons, assuming they were at full health (weaker ones would die even quicker).

IMO flanking is a terrible system, particularly when the AI can and will produce tons of mounted units. But like many other things you can learn to work around it - keep some uber-strong defender against enemy mounted (so the damage they do per flank is less) if you must have seige. Seige units are not vulnerable to this in forts or cities also so on defense you should be fine. For offense, consider spies for bringing down city defense; late game ships/aircraft work of course too.

Yes, it was flanking damage (feature in BtS). His curassiers and yours were likely pretty evenly matched so it probably didn't take more than 5-6 flanking hits to kill each cannon (each flank does damage to some number of units - forget the exact limit for curassiers but he probably maxed out - equal to the HP done in a round against defenders)- if you're right about 9 units of his winning or retreating this was enough to kill a significant number of your cannons, assuming they were at full health (weaker ones would die even quicker).

IMO flanking is a terrible system, particularly when the AI can and will produce tons of mounted units. But like many other things you can learn to work around it - keep some uber-strong defender against enemy mounted (so the damage they due per flank is less) if you must have seige. Seige units are not vulnerable to this in forts or cities also so on defense you should be fine. For offense, consider spies for bringing down city defense; late game ships/aircraft work of course too.

i check the stats, killed 12 lost 9 and i had around 76 cuirassiers and 11 pikeman and willy was attacking across the river. Now that i know about the flanking i can accepted defintely not liking it but i can accept it. But still isn't 12:9 kill ratio low when i have a advantage with the river and that not even including the ones that manage to withdrawl.

Top Bottom