1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

What the....?

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Game of the Month' started by Shirak, Aug 20, 2005.

1. Shirak

Shirak Chieftain

Bon daos amigos. I am new on the forum but have been playing civ in many formats for many years and would really like to give gotm a go.
    I cannot understand why i can't get a scenario to load. I have been trying for over a month and writing this is my last resort :blush: :blush:

I am not the brighest button when it comes to computer programs/files and i guess this is where i am getting the set up wrong.

Could someone guide me with flow chart or bullet point instructions on the right method from step one??

I have got civ3 PTW on an xp o/s.

Dudes, i am sorry my first post is for help, i know it aint the first time you've been asked this :blush:

2. AlanH

AlanH Mac addict, php monkey Moderator Hall of Fame Staff Supporter GOTM Staff

Hi. Welcome :wavey:

Step 1. Make sure you have version 1.27f of PtW. When you launch it you should see Play the World writ large on the opening screen, and Version 1.27f in white text in the bottom left corner. If you don't have the right version then patch it using the download links on this CFC page

Step 2. Download the start file from the game introduction page. Note that it is NOT a scenario, it's a saved game at 4000 BC. Put it in your /Saves/ directory.

Step 3. Launch Play The World and click Load Game. Find the downloaded file and open it.

Step 4. Play the game. Do not reload from the start file, do not save and reload to replay turns, actions or events.

Step 5. When you have won or lost, manually save the game AFTER the victory parade has completed, go to the GOTM Submission page, and upload your saved game.
    If you give up or suffer a conquest defeat then submit a save from the last turn you played, and select the appropriate condition in the pop-up menu on the submission page.

OPTIONS:

- Post spoilers describing your epic progress.

- Submit a manual save at 1000 BC for the QSC (Quick Start Challenge), along with a timeline describing how you got there.

The main menu on every GOTM site page gives links to all the submissions, results and submissions pages you need.

3. Shirak

Shirak Chieftain

Alan, thats looks as easy as i THOUGHT it would be,
    I will give it a go later today. Let you know how it goes......... :crazyeye:
    Thanks for the reply cabrone', :beer:

4. Shirak

Shirak Chieftain

oh dear :blush:

I have followed your steps so far but my computer
    won't recognise my ptw disc now :blush: :blush:

1 I saved the patch download and then ran it. Install wizard did it all for me.

2 I downloaded game save ( square icon with lil' icons inside) into temp file. File size 58kb.

3 Moved file to ptw saves/dir

4 Tried to load game, p.c. won't recognise ptw disc and asks for disc two ( which dosn't exist ) with ini exe file. I swapped discs for civ3 to see if file was on there - it wasn't.
    Re - loaded ptw disc, still not recognised and was asked for disc two again, specifically for file IFC23.dll

:hmm: :hmm:

So i decided to run repair on ptw disc, did so and the computer still wont recognise the program it has just repaired.!!!

On a good note amigo, civ3 still loads and runs perfectly.

I'm lost............. :confused:

Any advice would be well recieved

5. AlanH

The game save file icon for PTW looks like this: [ptw] It isn't square, it doesn't have little icons inside, and it has "Play the World" written underneath it. So I recommend you first check that you have the correct save file.

Failing that, I'm not sure how your computer can repair a CD, as it's read-only. Windows is supposed to be clever :rolleyes:, but it's not that clever. You prolly need someone with more Windows expertise than me to help you to get PtW going.

However, if you can't use PTW and you have Civ3 vanilla working you could try the following:

1. Make sure it's patched to version 1.29f

2. Download and run the Windows All-in-One GOTM installer in my signature (not the Mac OS X one!). Make sure you install it into the Civ3 directory that contains your Civ3 v1.29f executable.

3. Download the vanilla start file, which looks like this: [civ3], with this [civ3mac] and "v1.29 Vanlla" underneath it. Put it in your Civ3 Saves folder, and try loading this file.

6. Wotan

Wotan Deity

One problem with PTW discs are that there are several versions of disc protections on them and if you chose the wrong patch to 1.27 it will not allow you to play but say you have the wrong disc in the drive. I almost threw my computer out the window when I first patched PTW to 1.27. Then on a whim I DLed the US patch and lo and behold it worked... Even though I had an international edition Disc... As far as I know there is a word for this chaos, ATARI!

7. AlanH

.... or Windows :D

8. Shirak

Shirak Chieftain

aah..... wotan this would make sense.
    I have uninstalled all civ progs and re-installed them now due to the above error ( it happened to civ3 prog as well ). But could someone who knows answer these lil' q's for me? :blush: :blush:

1. do i need to create a new folder in saves/dir to hold the gotm saves i download. If not, what folder do they go in?
    2.What icon would be in this file if i have done it correctly.
    3. when i load this save, do i load it from within the game (i.e. ctrl L, go small file icon at top with arrow,saves,gotm file ) OR load from title screen?
    4. Does the download change sys registry? I am running spybot and avast which both don't allow this unless authorised.
    5. When i download the latest patch do i save or run, and where does the patch get saved to?

This might seem very ponderous to you all :blush: but gimme a set of spanners and i will install/repair any machine you put infront of me. I guess we all have our good / dead zones eh....

Alan, my comp can't repair discs either, i was trying to use the repair option for the program that comes with install wizard :lol:

Thanks for this advice amigos, now i REALLY wanna get in on gotm. This has got reet under my skin and i am determined to get up and running for a game.

You are all stars :king: :king:

9. AlanH

1. You can load the game from any directory on you hard drive. You can put it in \Saves\ in your Civ3 directory, but if you prefer you can create a separate folder in there for GOTM saves. I keep separate folders for each game.

2. Whatever icon is usually associated with Civ3 saves on your system. The icon doesn't come with the file, it comes with Civ3, and the system remembers that xxx.SAV files should always be displayed with this icon.

3. Either, it doesn't matter. Load Game from the title screen would be the normal way if you haven't been running another game previously. But it gets you to the same dialog screen as clicking the small file icon.

4. The save file download doesn't change the registry. It's just a data file.

5. If you Run then the patch is downloaded to a temporary directory in Windows, runs as soon as it's been downloaded, and is deleted after the update. If you Save then you can choose to save it anywhere on your hard drive. You then double click it in that location to patch the software. If you Save it you get to keep it, and you don't have to download it again if you want to reinstall it in the future.

10. Shirak

Shirak Chieftain

Good news cabrone's...it's up and running
    and it was as straight forward as i originaly
    imagined it to be.. :blush: :blush:

I am running an american version ( didn't know that )
    and downloaded the correct patch,
    and it loaded exactly as you said it would..

Mucho gracias amigos.... :thumbsup:

11. Wotan

Wotan Deity

Good to hear everything is OK now. Lot's of luck with the GOTM's, GOTM 46 is a really neat little scenario so I believe you are in for a treat.

12. ainwood

ainwood Consultant. Administrator

Can't blame that one directly on Windows, Alan, as mch a you might like to ;)

13. AlanH

I can blame anything on Windows. I've been known to blame it for the weather, and taxes, and death. Not that I'm biased or anything :rolleyes: