• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

What thread subject do you hate the most?

What thread subject fo you hate the most?

• Culture Flipping sucks.

Votes: 12 18.5%
  • The Combat System sucks (the classic Tank vs. Spearman debate)

Votes: 15 23.1%
  • The AI Cheats

Votes: 14 21.5%
  • I'm Losing! It's a Bug! Fix it!

Votes: 22 33.8%
  • Corruption Sucks.

Votes: 2 3.1%

• Total voters
I also dislike all these thread subjects.

Civ3 is not a perfect game. But it can (and I'm sure it will) be improved with time, provided we still support it.

Hi Selous! For the record I want to say that I did not include you when speaking about "hateboys". You seem quite resonable to me, although hard words have been spoken between us. I was refering to the (few, but still) ones who are incapable of constructive critisism. The ones who complain about the same thing over and over again, without ever listening to valid arguments made by other people. I bet that if you stay here a little longer you will eventually know what people I am talking about.

Are we still at peace?

Edit: Just looked at Selous profile. Registered feb 2001? Almost 8 months before me? And I just wrote "if you stay here a little longer"! What a damn huge mistake that was. I hope I did not offend you. I just have never seen you here before.

Nice poll :D. I think, IMHO, that they're mostly related to: "Something didn't go my way in the game I was playing, therefore something's wrong with the game".

Maybe a new difficulty level in the game should go under the chieftan level. In this level, the AI can't trade amongst themselves, declare war, or win any battles.

Instead of the "This must be fixed!", I think people should be saying, "wouldn't this make the game better?".

Hmmm. What am I going to vote for...

BTW, I remember playing old war board games when you had to roll the dice, like Risk or Axis & Allies. There were tons of times there where you would lose not for superior strategy but just because you couldn't roll good numbers. This is the same thing! The uncertainty of war!

Well all hate the tank vs.spearman debate,allthough I hardly ever see this happening in game,find the navy fights much more annoying,like for example a frigate actually getting into range and bombarding my battleship without it ever firing back,gawd get real.I really don´t care about tanks and spearman,and don´t quite understand why ppl get so hooked on this,we should have navy threads instead!!! :D

AI cheating,the AI always cheated,for god´s sake,ever since I´ve been playing the AI cheated on higher difficulty levels,this is NOT NEW!

Ppl recommending fixes,were nothing is to be fixed...argh whatever.

Corruption,funny,all seem to agree on this subbie,judging from the poll.Well it really is a nuisance.

Culture flipping is cool and simple to avoid,apart fr the disappearing garrison,that´s silly.

Topics I missed in the poll,were "which civs should have been included","which civs don´t belong here" and "the leader of civ **** shouldn´t be ****it should be****",we have about as much threads on these as the tankvsspearman one.I agree some civs are missing,am fine with the civs included,leader discussions are mostly stupid,except on Napoleon ;)

My 2 cents worth, or maybe 4 cents in volume ... if you don't like long posts, just skip over this ...

Ok, folks, yes ... Civ 3 IS a VERY good game. Based on the number of hours most of us spend playing it, it must be a GREAT game (yes, even "kick-ass"). BUT, a game WITH some SIGNIFICANT flaws (personally the poor naval aspect is my biggest boogaboo). Now that I have peeved off BOTH the fanboys AND the hatemongers, let me say that, in something as complex as this game, there are BOUND to be some flaws. The problem is that SOME of them are major to some people, some are not, and we are all by and large strong willed opinonated people, or we wouldn't be posting in the first place. Keep in mind, also, that there are several months of threads here since the game came out, and many of us long timers have seen some topics over and over, so they grow stale on us. But newer people havn't necessarly read all those treads and probably do not realise that their post on "Combat is crazy! Pikeman kills elite tanks!!" isn't exacty new news. We longer-termers can simply not read posts from a new name person we don't recognise, if its obviouly on a topic that has been beaten to death for us as a specific individual. OTOH, for the relentless nay-sayers- WE KNOW. It doesn't need to be repeated ad neasuem. Including in a newbies post! (At least as vitrol, anyway.) AND newbies, before you post, maybe use the search feature, see if the topic has been beaten to death or not. Its a free forum of course, so post if you want, but don't be surprised if only other newbies reply ... and vets, don't waste your time reading a post that is old news to you.

Now some of us feel that complaints are due to the lack of an ability to come up with a strategy to counter the, what is in some cases a problem, in others a design decision. No doubt, in some cases, this is true, especially for new comers. Other times, there are I think true feelings that a particular thing just feels WRONG in the game. (For me, the endless number of citys with only 1 shield production, and the high cost of the FP, sets me off to an extent). I think corruption SHOULD be a big issue, for instance, but I wish they'd come up with a better way to counter ICS (a civ2 startegy which, btw, I DIDN't use ... call me naive, but I just DON'T LIKE poorly developed cities.) Fortunatley, for many of these things, we can counter the problem via use of the editor. Not, however, always. AND, sometimes, with a lot of work needed to balance changes, which we might have wished Friaxis had done. Of course, that gets into the personal preferences about the way we think the game should be vs. the way it was done. Maybe its not perfect, but thank goodness we at least have it ... so be happy about the Editor. Yes, its too bad we cannot REALLY do sceniaros/mods like in Civ II, but hopefully that will be fixed ether with a future patch or expansion pack. ANYWAY, hatemongers, USE THE EDITOR. And FANBOYS- don't bother to read their (HATEMONGERS) posts- or harass them. You shouldn't troll onto their posts, neither should they into yours. Let them talk about HOW to use the Editor to get their desired results. YOU concentrate on praising the things you like in the game, and having fun playing it the way it is (and when the fanboys do post , hatemongers, leave their posts alone!. AT LEAST tone down the vitrol!)

Keep in mind that some people are not necessarily playing to run up a big score, or even to win, but to enjoy the FEEL of the game. That plays into the "accuracy" or lack thereoff complaints, again, something just feels WRONG. In this complex a game, there are bound to be both true flaws, and things that we simply disagree with. A person like this DOESN'T CARE about finding a counter startegy in order to succeed at the game, they want it to FEEL right.

That said, personally, I dislike three types of posts the most: first, the "I'm losing! Its because of a bug! Patch it NOW!" threads. But two types got left off the poll ... the first is the ones where the person spells "you" with u and use i for I, etc. AHHH! They are so hard on the eyes .... yes we all make typos, and personally I am a poor speller, but it might be nice to go back and look over your post before you send it in, maybe correct it a little, PLEASE?

But the type that annoys me the most is where the person will post the "Great strategy" which is mostly an exploit of the AI or the game system. Ah, the orgin of the phase, "gaming the system". It's this kind of thing which promoted the ICS in CIV 2, and led to the (to me) annonying continents of Corrupted 1 shield citys in Civ 3. (And why? To win the game? In civ2, I'd think, hardly, more like run up the score.)

Sorry this was so long. Hope it results in at least some people looking at the way they think and post, perhaps the forum will be nicer. At least a little bit! (NOT, we should remember, that it is that bad now ...)

Now, for important stuff ... back to the game ... tensions are rising on my border with the Greeks ... bad things are going to happen soon I think ... Death to Alexander the so-callled Great!

(BTW, if you hate long posts, I did warn you at the start ...)

I personally dislike all the persons thet HATE the game so much yet they seem to spend all their free time disin' the game. Sure it'snot perfect. I like the fact the game is getting better over time. I mean compare Civ I to Civ III. The graphics and game play as well as complexity has gotten much better; but that doesn't make Civ I a bad game. As I've said in a previous thread if Civ IV comes out with the ability to leagally print your own money, someone would be b****ing about it! Sure it could use improving (like my 5 bombers cant even sink a gallion); but the good outweighs the bad. I give the game a 90+ rating myself. Don't hate the game because Fraxis dodn't make the game to your specifications!

I hate threads which repeat what another previous thread has discussed...be this "civ3 sux" in a hundred different variations or whatever I think it shows the poster has not bothered to look at the forum and see what response there was relevant to his issue.

The clearest example would be someone in two weeks time starting a thread entitled "Which thread subject sux the most"...I think you know where I'm coming from.

Hey Kit,

There are a lot of wheenie threads around and here we're saying:

What wheenie thread you hate the most more or less.

You see any wheenie vote or post here? This thread shows there are many who just play the thing and take everything III has to offer as a challenge IMHO!

I came, I saw, I voted again - Julius Caesar I'm not. By the way Kitten, I don't really know what you mean; I think I know what you mean but it was just a little too softly and silkily subtle for me. Royfur, excellent post, I agree with almost everything you said - maybe even everything but it was a long post and my memory isn't what it used to be. I think one of the problems is that the fans and the, lets call them less than fans, like to bait each other. Intelligent flames are fun to read and write, even if one is the target. My New Year's resolution was not to get involved in any flame wars and I have been pretty good at resisting temptation.

Finally, I have no problems with people who post a complaint about the game, especially if they receive positive suggestions in the way intended. The game is certainly not perfect but I am very happy with the heavily modded LWC mod I am currently playing - most of my initial problems with the game have been solved or alleviated. A more powerful editor and I will be a happy little camper for a long time to come.

P.S. I heard from a reliable source (as my younger son would say, 'I read it on the Internet') that Sid M. and Firaxis put together Civ3 in two weeks to take advantage of the franchise name and cheat innocent gamers of their hard earned cash. No wonder those people have been so unhappy for so long.

Originally posted by Anglophile
I heard from a reliable source (as my younger son would say, 'I read it on the Internet') that Sid M. and Firaxis put together Civ3 in two weeks to take advantage of the franchise name and cheat innocent gamers of their hard earned cash. No wonder those people have been so unhappy for so long.

:lol: You REALLY believe this "reliable source" of yours?

Firaxis spent 1 to 1.5 year developing the game. Here are some key events in Civ3's development process just to give you an idea:
<UL>
<LI>May 18, 1999: Civilization 3 project announced.
<LI>April 2000: Brian Reynolds and some key members of the Civ3 team left Firaxis. Firaxis pretty much had to restart Civ3 from scratch.
<LI>Official Civ3 preview site launched with some game arts in January 2001
<LI>First Civ3 screenshot released in March 2001.
<LI>Third alpha version on July 29, 2001.
<LI>Hit beta on August 22, 2001
<LI>Gone Gold on October 8, 2001
<LI>Released on October 30, 2001
</UL>
That's not two weeks my friend. :rolleyes: Two years maybe...

I voted for "I'm Losing! It's a Bug! Fix it! " btw.

I hate most any thread that has a poll in it. :vomit:

----------------

Firaxis spent 1 to 1.5 year developing the game. Here are some key events in Civ3's development process just to give you an idea. . .

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Then how come on this very site in the Completed Mods forum we have a much better mod (the LWC mod) with some realism and historical accuracy put together by a Civ fan in just a month????

"1.5 years", huh? Betcha they spent a lot of that time playing Final Doom 95 and Age of Empires while scarfing down donuts.

The game was obviously NOT playtested. The AI is stubborn and crazy and cheats like mad. The game is designed to screw the human player in every way possible. Culture Flipping is a load of nonsense both in terms of playability and realism. Yes, I could go on for pages.

Suffice it to say, after "1.5 years" of development, Sid and Firaxis couldn't even figure out that bombers CAN sink warships. :rolleyes:

I am all around tired of complaints, so much so that I hardly come to the Civ3 forums anymore. Sad for a CivFanatic, but it is better than reading through 40 pages of threads that could be condensed into 3.

I vote for a Semi-Offical complaint thread and no complaints allowed elsewhere. ;)

Originally posted by PaleHorse76

I vote for a Semi-Offical complaint thread and no complaints allowed elsewhere. ;)

Well, that wouldn't work because then the Entire Civ3 forum would have only One thread :lol:

ANd that would result in alot of angered newbies! :lol:

Originally posted by Zouave
The game is designed to screw the human player in every way possible.

Personally, I like the attention. It is not that the game was designed to screw the human player, it is rather that the game is designed not to bore the human player.

I expect the AIs to get along with each other far better than they do with the human. They are, after all, very much like twins. The AI appears stubborn only because it 'thinks' very differently from the human. This makes the game interesting, as we value things differently, for different reasons than the AI.

I do not think culture 'flipping' (this terminology annoys me at least as much as the content of related threads) detracts from the game, except for the complete loss of garrisons. I never really have any trouble with it because of my playing style.

I do agree that planes should be able to sink ships, and I think this may be something Firaxis fixes in the next patch. At least among the civfanatics community, there seems to be consensus here.

I definately would like to have a semi-official complaint thread as Palehorse has suggested. This would at least stop a good chunk of the newbie complaints about things that have already been thoroughly hashed out.

Since some people didn't understand my last post on the grounds of silkyness...

I HATE SEEING THE SAME FRIGGIN' THREAD TOPICS AGAIN AND AGAIN AND AGAIN!

And THAT applies mainly to the unoriginal whiners who startup threads of the near same title every few days!

The thread i hate the most is 'the thread I hate the most ' (thread) it does nothing except encourage blattened criticism to the whole Civ 3 community, fireaxis and poor old Sid for that matter. Although I do have my pet hates about the game I don't often make them public knowledge, I did however cast my vote and hope it assists you in your great self righteous quest to big note your crack......Thanx for reading.
p.s selous you've changed your tune but your attitude still needs adjusting.

I voted for 'I'm Losing! It's a Bug! Fix it!' :D

The other ones weren't that tough since I have come to ignore them by now... ;)

Originally posted by kittenOFchaos
Since some people didn't understand my last post on the grounds of silkyness...

I HATE SEEING THE SAME FRIGGIN' THREAD TOPICS AGAIN AND AGAIN AND AGAIN!

And THAT applies mainly to the unoriginal whiners who startup threads of the near same title every few days!

Thats clear language, now I'm with ya!

Indeed, the general forum (also at Apolyton) has become the whining forum. I've started skipping it most days I log on, and go instead to strategy.

The five choices were too hard to consider one the best! Tho I'll vote for the tank/spearman nonsense. "After 4387 straight victories, my tank was killed by a spearman! I want my $ back! This game sucks!" :rolleyes:

Top Bottom