What to do in London (England) on a weekend?

There are far more tunnels under London than are now used. Many are sections of old tunnels sometimes even with stations where trains used to run but no longer do. Some were made as part of the construction process for the railways, others are for other purposes all together. Most were mapped by the time the Jubilee line extension were built, but not all and there was always the worry that tunnelling would break into an unknown section of tunnel with the risk of collapse or exposing of long dormant diseases such as Anthrax. I remember some of the 3D models of the route and the complexity of the existiing networks and pipes was amazing.

Sorry I havent a clue what you are talking about

There are far more tunnels under London than are now used. Many are sections of old tunnels sometimes even with stations where trains used to run but no longer do. Some were made as part of the construction process for the railways, others are for other purposes all together. Most were mapped by the time the Jubilee line extension were built, but not all and there was always the worry that tunnelling would break into an unknown section of tunnel with the risk of collapse or exposing of long dormant diseases such as Anthrax. I remember some of the 3D models of the route and the complexity of the existiing networks and pipes was amazing.

I go past York Road almost everyday, it's eerily cool! It's an amazing timewarp some of them as they still have the old posters on the walls etc.

Silurian, you've never heard of Mornington Crescent? Well it's a very complicated game which i doubt i'd be able to explain to you....

Even I've heard of Mornington crescent. Some sort of game involving naming tube station names IIRC?

Again, you probably wouldn't understand it as there are differing variations of rules which vary according to where and when you are playing them.

For instance some people allow what is known as the 'jetsock which involves the triple flip through Archway and Bond Street but this was disallowed following the 1992 World Championships where Bertrum Einhard used it to put 2 of his opponents in a coma, allowing him to claim a swift Mornington Crescent victory in record time. To this day i believe it is only used on the 'street' for fear of reprecussions.

Woah, dangerous stuff. I will make it a point to figure out that game before my next trip to London.

Sorry I havent a clue what you are talking about

"I’m Sorry I haven’t a clue" the antidote to panel games on radio 4

Next you will be saying you have never heard of Mrs Trellis

The problem with Mornington Crescent is that the rules are so complicated that you have to remember a million of them just to get started. I remember the CFC threads, and for the life of me I just could not figure out how all the rules fitted together. At one point I believe a player used a rule that directly contradicted a previous rule used by the same player. It made no sense; it was as if people were just making the rules up as they went along!

After a while though I started to get the hang of it. You just need to figure out what rules do what, then you're all sorted :goodjob:

The problem with Mornington Crescent is that the rules are so complicated that you have to remember a million of them just to get started. I remember the CFC threads, and for the life of me I just could not figure out how all the rules fitted together. At one point I believe a player used a rule that directly contradicted a previous rule used by the same player. It made no sense; it was as if people were just making the rules up as they went along!

After a while though I started to get the hang of it. You just need to figure out what rules do what, then you're all sorted :goodjob:

you're not really a brit are you...i sense a fifth column...

damn ninja edit - did you edit or am i hallucinating ?

It made no sense; it was as if people were just making the rules up as they went along!

You have now figured out the rules of Mornington Crescent

The thing with Mornington Crescent is, when people work it out, they think it's a non-competitive game. Nothing could be further from the truth.

(Unless of course you're playing under the Brooke-Taylor amended subset [d] of the Orpington stipulations, naturally.)

Two books of rules and history have been published, The Little Book of Mornington Crescent (2001; ISBN 0-7528-1864-3) by Graeme Garden, Tim Brooke-Taylor, Barry Cryer and Humphrey Lyttelton, and Stovold's Mornington Crescent Almanac (2001; ISBN 0-7528-4815-1) by Graeme Garden

For the rules read above

I think it's this weekend that IglooDude is exploring London...

Whatever you do I hope you find it interesting, but I also hope you remembered that umberella!

You're indeed correct, after a fairly hectic week I'm now at loose ends. However after a week of frenetic pace and three straight late beer-filled nights I'm figuring I might just use today to catch up on my rest (particularly as I didn't actually remember an umbrella and would need one), and then go exploring tomorrow.

And damn British Airways for their strike, my day trip to Geneva on Monday might not happen!! :mad:

IglooDude

So what naval things did you see and which did you like the best

IglooDude

So what naval things did you see and which did you like the best

Ultimately I only had an opportunity to play tourist late Sunday afternoon. So, I visited Trafalgar Square (rendering a snappy salute to Admiral Lord Nelson), wandered down toward Big Ben, got on one of the river tourboats (thanks to whoever suggested that) and saw the riverward side of HMS Belfast on my way to the Tower of London and back to my hotel. A pleasant enough afternoon, but not one that will go down in the annals of tourism history. :)

Top Bottom