What to do with 2nd Great Prophet?

Aoxomoxoa

Prince
I'm confused. I have generated my second Great Prophet and I am not sure what to do with him.

Playing Celts/King(first game to try out this big new G&K mod...)/Standard/Fractal. Looks like I am on a medium continent with two other civs (Siam/Iroquois) at the moment. Things are going very well, no aggression yet. I've settled 4 cities and atm my capital is pretty big. Founded a religion and have shrines/temples and going to up the four free UB's on the next social policy.

I have quite a bit of land all mine to the east as I spread toward Siam and he spread toward Iroquois. At least enough for 3 more good sized cities. I have killer defensive terrain. Have not explored overseas yet as my youngest city is the coastal one and is building a trireme right now.

Money's okay, pop is great, happiness bobs around a lot (what's up with that?).

So what do I do with this second great prophet? I am at a loss. Should he spread religion, more policies? I dunno.

Aoxo

The few games I have played, I have enhanced my religion with the 2nd prophet.

After you pop the second prophet you can go to the religion screen and set it so you don't get the prophet automatically and buy them with faith as you need them.

I don't see any good reason not to enhance your religion with the second prophet. Unless you need to spread religion to your own cities quickly because you're in dire need of the bonuses, but that seems unlikely and extremely situational.

Okay, so I enhanced my religion and a few turns later the Hagia Sophia finishes and now I have a 3rd Great Prophet and two choices, spread religion (which I don't understand the mechanics of and figure I will end up wasting the unit) or planting him on a tile.

Can anyone give a quick primer to how 'spreading' religion works? Game is saved at this point.

Okay, so I enhanced my religion and a few turns later the Hagia Sophia finishes and now I have a 3rd Great Prophet and two choices, spread religion (which I don't understand the mechanics of and figure I will end up wasting the unit) or planting him on a tile.

Can anyone give a quick primer to how 'spreading' religion works? Game is saved at this point.

Spreading religion with a prophet it like spreading it with a missionary, just MUCH stronger. Normally, a missionary will convert like 4-6 people in my experience. With the prophet, he''ll basically convert nearly everyone in a city, and eradicate other religions in the process. You get 4 uses of it. Otherwise, you can have him create a Holy Shrine, which gives 6 faith when worked.

spreading religion means that your GP or mish, walks up to a city and converts a portion of the population. I think the GP converts 50% of the city's pop but i could be mistake. Each conversion unit can convert multiple cities per "life"

thanks for the information in this post it was helpfull, as I was at a loss for what to do with more great profits to.

Build that great mosque of djinne... your great prophet can spread religion like 3x then enhancer...

That's just for the missionaries.

As per the Great Prophet:

their 'spread religion' mechanic does two things:

1) removes all 'heathen' religions from the city (inquisitor style - but able to do it outside your own lands)
2) adds ~7ish (pop/other issues dependant) followers to the city.

Granted, there are cases where the Prophet will be needed twice to convert the city to your religion (high pop cities... 12-13+ pop). But it's best to use 'normal' spread or missionaries to get that done. Prophets should be used on 4 cities, preferably City States that are on your borders (to prevent complaints) so that your own religion can shove it's way in there easier.

Still playing my first G&K game. I used my 2nd GProphet to enhance my religion, and my 3rd GProphet to spread my Religion to 3 City states and a captured enemy city. Just had an AI Civ use a GProphet to spread their religion to my Capitol (and Holy City) and to my second city :mad: so now I have to generate another GProphet to convert my own cities back to my religion!

No Theocracy Civic as in Civ IV, so AFAIK, no way to prevent this. IMO, there should be a Diplomatic pop-up to demand that the offending Civ stop spamming their religion to your cities, similar to what you get when an AI Civ steals a technology.

Attachments

• Celts game.jpg
    Celts game.jpg
    170 KB · Views: 902
Okay so I feel like noob beyond measure here. I finally attached a screenie of this game showing my cities and the 4 C/S in my vicinity. I have run this GP over to Milan in the west and for the life of me don't see how to execute the 'spread' I see it when I'm in my cities, but how do I do spread??

http://forums.civfanatics.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=323923&stc=1&d=1340305072

you move the prophet or missionary next to the CS (or other city) and then press the book icon shown on the top of the unit command icon list (that thing in the bottom left corner).

The GP is standing right next to Milan's border, they are friendly (barely) and the icon is not there to select.

It is really annoying that the AI loves to on;y use their GP against my capital or their former cap. They will literally wait around for me to change it back and then just go again. They never seem to use them against city-states or near their own borders. If they did that then their religions might actually spread instead of just annoying me. That needs to be patched. Its stupid for gameplay AND incredibly annoying.

need to be adjacent to the city.

Spread a few times then enhance. You don't lose the GP until it runs out of uses, and it starts with what, like 4? Either way it tells you how many uses are remaining.

Top Bottom