What to do with early missionary spam?

avl8

Prince
Guys, need you help and advice.

Emperor difficulty Peter have found a first religion. Mine is going to be 3rd when I realise that 2 russian missionaries are at my border, ready to conver my only city with shrine.

What if I just pass and let him convert my city with a shrine before I get my prophet?
What shall I do to still get a religion?

If you haven't founded a religion yet, there's no harm in letting him convert your city with a shrine -- it should automatically convert to your religion when you found your religion. Of greater concern is the risk that he converts your city after you found your religion -- it can be difficult (and sometimes impossible, depending on circumstances) to recover from that.

I usually declare war to the civ that sends them. Then, I kill them all.

It's fun. Specially because there's no warmonger penalty in early eras.

If you haven't founded a religion yet, there's no harm in letting him convert your city with a shrine -- it should automatically convert to your religion when you found your religion. Of greater concern is the risk that he converts your city after you found your religion -- it can be difficult (and sometimes impossible, depending on circumstances) to recover from that.

Thank you, Browd!

So a city with a shrine will auto-convert into new found religion, does it mean that his followers will go away?

Btw Im a big fan of your Civ5 guides, hope you continue doing the great work for civ6 fans :)

Thank you, Browd!

So a city with a shrine will auto-convert into new found religion, does it mean that his followers will go away?

Actually, any of your cities that has a Holy Site (whether or not it also has a shrine) should autoconvert to your religion when you found your religion. The other religion's followers should remain a strong minority in those cities, so those cities would be vulnerable to getting flipped if you aren't careful. Best case would be to make sure you have at least one temple up and running when you found, and a stockpile of faith, to immediately buy one apostle, burn him on an inquisition and then buy an inquisitor or two to cleanse your existing cities of heresy and provide some defense vs. unwelcome missionaries and apostles. Note that if a city builds a Holy Site after you found your religion, it will not automatically adopt your religion -- you will have to spread it there the old-fashioned way.

Btw Im a big fan of your Civ5 guides, hope you continue doing the great work for civ6 fans :)

Thanks. Working on new religion guides now, but, as you have seen, much is different in Civ VI.

i always keep an inquisitor on my holy city now just in case i get flooded while unable to defend from it. that way i can always get one city back and the clear the rest.

Top Bottom