What To Do With Vikings

What do you do with your Galleys?

• Turn one of them into a Cog

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

1SDANi

Sister Lady
I've been a bit conflicted on whether or not I should make the Vikings start with Cogs in my modmod, and wanted to know what DOC players do with their starting Galleys. Is there any gameplay benefits to having the Vikings start with Galleys? Does this serve any purpose? As such I've set up a poll to see the dominant strategy on this forum.

You are using my 2nd UUB modcomp in your mod, right? Then you should replace the Galleys with Longships. And I think Longships are more fitting than cogs. For that reason, I voted for "Keep the Galleys". But turn them into their 2nd UU.

You are using my 2nd UUB modcomp in your mod, right? Then you should replace the Galleys with Longships. And I think Longships are more fitting than cogs. For that reason, I voted for "Keep the Galleys". But turn them into their 2nd UU.
I'm not using the 2nd UUB mod quite yet, I've been taking time to playtest my modcomp and ensure there's as few issues as possible. AKA I'm taking a break from making major changes so that people can play it without feeling like they're missing out on anything major,

My take is very simple: Galleys describe VERY wide variety of shps in antiquity, cogs are vessels of Middle Age and they can represent Longboats in that regard. And, as a general rule: it is ok to start with units you cannot produce yet because of tech or resource, but it is not ok to start with obsolete unit. Starting stack represents the initial momentum which made the civ noteworthy and present in this mod in a first place. Starting stack is the statement: after many years of prehistory this kernel of Viking energy appeared on the map and sprung into action. Even if some units are a little bit ahead of their time, like those 3 Huscarls, I can see the sense in it. But I don't see any sense in starting with already obsolete units which I can upgrade during the very first turn. Things like this imidiately tell me -- this is not by design, just an oversight I have to swallow and carry on with my start...

Griffin McElroy voice: but what DO you do with Vikings?!

Kinda how the Turks spawn with 2 Janissaries without Firearms, but that's mostly because without that you can't take Constantinople with its 200% defense.

You get 3 or 4 bombards, no way in hell i'm waiting this long to take out a 200% defense city
Normally I go south to take out Arabia and then come back up for the Byzantines and take Constantinople with 3 or 4 bombards.

Normally I go south to take out Arabia and then come back up for the Byzantines and take Constantinople with 3 or 4 bombards.

I guess your take on Turkey is more accurate, since Byzantium only fell in 1453 AD and you start at 1270 AD....

My take is very simple: Galleys describe VERY wide variety of shps in antiquity, cogs are vessels of Middle Age and they can represent Longboats in that regard. And, as a general rule: it is ok to start with units you cannot produce yet because of tech or resource, but it is not ok to start with obsolete unit. Starting stack represents the initial momentum which made the civ noteworthy and present in this mod in a first place. Starting stack is the statement: after many years of prehistory this kernel of Viking energy appeared on the map and sprung into action. Even if some units are a little bit ahead of their time, like those 3 Huscarls, I can see the sense in it. But I don't see any sense in starting with already obsolete units which I can upgrade during the very first turn. Things like this imidiately tell me -- this is not by design, just an oversight I have to swallow and carry on with my start...

On that note, Moors should start with a Heavy Galley instead of a War Galley—unless they’re meant to have inferior navy as well as army to the Spanish.

Top Bottom