1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

What to research in the Industrial Ages WORKING POLL!

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Demo Game II: Polls' started by Goonie, Jan 18, 2003.

?

YES?

1. Yes

4 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. No

12 vote(s)
    75.0%
  3. Abstain

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Goonie

Goonie Lonely End of the Rink

This poll is to see what percent of the population likes the following idea!

The idea is that we go for medicine and Sanitation, because the AI never seems to reasearch these techs. This will mean sliding up the science meter, but if we get it first, we can sell it to all the other nations for GPT. BIG GPT! With that gold per turn, we can slide the slider up even more on the way to motorized transport, and who knows, maybe our panzers will be blitzing while everyone else's cavalry are eating grass. This might be our only chance to pull ahead in the tech race for a long time, and I dont want to lose this oppurtunity. Some say go to Motorized transport right away, and I say if we do that, we wont get it first, and we will still be behind in the tech race. I would hate for some advanced civ to win a spaceship victory, wouldn't you?

Vote YES!

Related discussion.

2. Cyc

Cyc Looking for the door...

I think we'll just wind up buying these two Techs, Goonie.

3. Goonie

Goonie Lonely End of the Rink

But why CYC? Why? This is a 'Golden' oppurtunity to finally pull ahead in the tech race. The AI will not go for these techs first, so we should and then sell them for HUGE gpt! We that gpt we can slide the slider up even more, and pull way ahead in the tech race. This might be our only opuurtunity to pull ahead for a LONG time! We cannot let this pass us by.

I am going to use a Starcraft-Warcraft Analogy.

You start with 4 workers. Building more workers is a detour, but will let you get things done more quickly!

If we take this two tech detour from Motorized Transport, we will in the end get their faster, because we will be researching things ourselves!!!!

4. Cyc

Cyc Looking for the door...

OK, Goonie. A question for you. When was the last time you played a Civ3 game with 15 other tribes as your competition? If we cut them up into thirds and pushed them through the three Tech door into the Industrial Age blindfolded, they would still probably hit Sanitation before us. Now, when was the last time you played a Civ3 game with 15 other tribes at Emperor Level?

5. eyrei

eyrei Deity Retired Moderator

These are techs the AI does not value highly. Therefore, we can trade for them later, as soon as we obtain a tech that one of our neighbors does not have. Once we get steam power, we can trade for medicine, and once we get industrialization we can trade for sanitation. We will not be able to trade medicine for steam power, nor will we be able to trade sanitation for industrialization.

6. Plexus

Plexus Architeuthidae puericomedentis

True, Goonie, while I admire your determination, I really do not belive this is the best route for our nation to take.

7. FortyJ

FortyJ Deity

Additionally, upping the science rate in our present form of government will not likely benefit us. If we are to have any chance in outpacing the AI at this level, even with our size advantage, we will need to be a democracy.

The problem is, that we are not prepared to handle war weariness at this time, and as you know we seem to be the brunt of much of our neighbors aggression at present. Until we can put an end to the threat of invasion by our neighbors, or at least an end to the need to sign alliances to fight off such invasions, we must stay in Monarchy.

8. Strider

Strider In Retrospect

I would normally agree, but are Science Research is so low it would be useless to even try this. We won't get it anyway.

9. Feodor Ardent

Feodor Ardent Grizzled 'ol Civ Veteran

Quite true Strider. With so many patsies . . . er, willing trading partners out there, getting a good research program together is probable a lost cause.