1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

What to Rush Build During Offensive

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Strategy & Tips' started by agonistes, Mar 30, 2011.

1. agonistes

agonistes wants his subs under ice!

What to Rush Build During Offensive

Assuming a few things here, like your civ has a decent income... this thread is about what to rush buy when you are invading the enemy.

This thread came to mind because in a current game I am at the point where the other civs are starting to pop tanks, and I am adjusting my rush buys.

Normally my priority would be culture: temple-library at least, if no other concerns are present I go all the way (cath, uni, and col.), waiting the one turn between each buy. Coastal cities I usually buy the coastal improvements too, and finally I finish with hospital+factory.

War is different. War is war.

Most of us are aware that there are times when rushing walls/barracks/civ defense is the best choice, or something more rare (I rushed two battleships last night into a land-locked sea). What I mean to discuss here is not the special circumstances of an individual city, but rather the static rush-jobs that one might use as a matter of policy when invading.

Normally during an invasion, culture is still my main concern, because I want the captured city's boundaries to expand fast, and want its culture to catch up and pass the culture of the cities around it.

But my current invasion is not for my civ (Byzantines), it is for Germany. Germany was nearly dead, so I traded Bismarck a city within my empire so his civ wouldn't die (I'm currently 'nesting' Greece, Germany, Persia, Ottomans, England, and Rome), and now I am conquering lands with the intent to gift them to Bismarck - once he makes peace with a few more peeps.

Currently the Byzantines are involved in 3 major wars, two with the purpose of liberating cities for other civs, and the other is to carve out a small kingdom for the Germans. I have no interest in the culture of the taken cities (for the most part, some exceptions) because it will be lost when I give the cities up/back. So what to build?

Most of my core is popping units every 1-2 turns. However, with three armies on the move (and a fourth resting across the ocean in Summeria after a brief invasion), the Byz army is taking as many as 9 cities a turn (usually 3-5). My core is busy building troops (I am filled up on artillery).

At the same time, I am starting to see tanks, and finally some decent stacks (only playing on regent). So... except where I plan to put up a defensive position (or what I like to think of as a "passive-aggresive offense"), I am popping bombers every other turn in all of the cities I am holding while I wait for opportunites to give cities away.

I love bombers.

In all my years of play, I've never chain-popped bombers. But they are fun! And more utility than any other unit, imo.

What do you pop?

2. Abaddon

Abaddon Chieftain

I never build culture buildings. I build libraries.

I can't talk about specifics of rushing, I only cash rush when i've got a specific thing i need to do quickly (get some settlers out to capture a lux, get some units out to defend a city)

Otherwise I quite like WHIPPING out things early on.. especially in semi-corrupt cities. Places on the second ring as it were, that will take ages to get buildings up if you don't.

Linking Harbours are often rushed too.

In War? Usually by the time I am in war, everything is as i want it to be so I jut tick over.. I want to rush ARMIES!

Oh, and I've never played a game that lasted long enough to get bombers :/

3. del62

del62 Chieftain

If I am the celts and I am in despotism I am inclined to pop rush temples in captured cities, if you add one of your own workers first you can even end up with just your own citizen,

4. Abaddon

Abaddon Chieftain

I assume this when going for a domination win? What else use is culture?

5. Raliuven

Raliuven Chieftain

Cheap culture buildings can be useful to expand boarders before selling them off or to exert cultural pressure on a nearby city. I agree, though - I rarely build them. In low luxury areas I might build them to help with happiness, but it is very situational. I don't bother rushing culture/happiness buildings in high corruption areas (or anything other than walls, barracks, harbors), cover it with ICS cities and eliminate nearby cities that might apply cultural pressure. Again, there are situational exceptions.

But directly to your question (as I understood it) - one thing I like to do is rush workers from newly conquered cities. You dispose of an unhappy foreigner into a slave worker and it will help calm the city and help convert it to your nationality - I think the cost is 36gp if you wait one turn in a corrupt city. 36gp for a slave worker isn't a bad deal anyway. I usually don't rush settlers but will on occasion.

Otheriwse, what Abaddon said.

Question of curiousity - why are you nesting so many other civs? Aiming for a diplo victory?

6. Spoonwood

Spoonwood Grand Philosopher

Generally speaking, I'd answer your query in one word...
    Spoiler :

ARMIES. Plenty of games can get ended before the AI even gets close to tanks if you buy armies.

7. Hellfiredoom

Hellfiredoom Chieftain

Already mentioned above, but just adding my vote to the Celts/Dom VC/temples+workers rushing strat.

8. Ceoladir

Ceoladir Come Fly With Me

How expensive is the army? Isn't it 1200 gold before the doubling thing?

9. Sparthage

Sparthage Fighting Tyranny

I didn't think you could rush armies :dubious:. If you can, this might change the way I play.

edit: Oh wow, you can. :mwaha:

10. CELTICEMPIRE

CELTICEMPIRE Zulu Conqueror

anything that's not a wonder or wealth you can rush, although armies are expensive to rush, if you don't have a lot of money, don't rush them.

11. Spoonwood

Save up money until you can rush them. Sell tech for gpt. Or shut off research so that you can buy them (maybe research to rails or Replacable Parts).

12. templar_x

templar_x usually walks his talks

Plenty of games can get ended before I even get close to ARMIES. :D

templar_x

13. agonistes

I don't play with any victory conditions turned on anymore. I play with the full list of civs, and tend to try to keep them all alive (well, not so much for the American tribes and Zulu). Right now I'm building a fleet to carry troops to India, which is being crushed between Japan, Korea, and the Netherlands.

I'm nesting Germany, Greece, and England because they are three of my favorite civs, and I hate to see them leave a game. I am nesting the Ottomans because I had to conquer them to get to Rome, which had been a slow-going war for some time because I was too lazy to build a fleet to carry my troops, and had been buying defensive troops every other turn. FInally I said: 'enough is enough' and just kicked the Ottomans out of the way. So after I had my road to Rome, I felt very apologetic towards the Ottomans, and let them keep Instanbul (the other cities were too tasty to give back). Being the Byzantines, my people have much history with the Romans, and I couldn't let them die out. The Persians I just felt bad for.

Popping workers isn't a bad idea, but I tend to be worker heavy anyways (200+ of my own, and I save up the captured workers for airports or population boosts, so I have a 40+ stack of them sitting around in a fort somewhere).

Anyways, I posted because I was excited from the fun I was having rushing the bombers. The bomber rushing is already getting old. I've been letting the cities just naturally build things the last several turns. The wars are getting stale too, and despite plans to defend India, I'm positioning to make peace with everyone and start giving away cities.

Bottom line is: you rush what you feel like you need. I think an influx of alot of bombers can have a significant immediate impact in any campaign though.

14. Spoonwood

For players of your caliber, indeed.

15. templar_x

templar_x usually walks his talks

Flattering. And I hear who is saying it! ;)

templar_x

16. Hasdrubal Barca

Hasdrubal Barca Chieftain

I tend to rush Settlers for building a healing base 2 tiles from enemy core, barracks in conquered/built cities in enemy land for fast healing, walls if enemy can counterattack, workers to make roads/rails, and siege units to batter down enemy walls.

I also have a weird tendency to starve conquered cities/pop rush them and repopulate afterwards with my own workers, i do this to get hapiness up as quick as possible and start rushing buildings that add research/production/wealth, donno if this is good policy everytime or not....

As i tend to rush using population, i save my money for research, upgrading troops, spying activities (steal maps, tech, propaganda, establish embassy, spy city defenses for weak points, etc)

17. shl7070

shl7070 Chieftain

I rush reinforcements to keep the pressure- especially offensive units but many times I rush a defender in newly conquered cities so I can untie the attackers that guard it prior to the defender's arrival.

In overseas campaigns I rush defenders, harbors and airports (for late game). Culture building are also rushed in the conquerd lands (the cheapest of them).

18. agonistes

I like the settler idea. Normally my game is at the city cap. Sometimes I will lay a few temporary cities somewhere so that later on I can rush a city in a strategic or tactical spot if I need to.

I too will rush defenders if it is too laborious to move a larger army into the area - but any circumstances leading up to this situation would be atypical for me. Normally, if I'm going to war, I've prepared in advance and I've sent out a box ton of defenders with the artillery and attackers.

19. Slayer88

Slayer88 Chieftain

I put my vote down for defensive units. I usually find that I have built a huge amount of offensive fast units and I need to rush defensive units to guard cities taken over or settled.

20. gessler

gessler Chieftain

Under optimum conditions I prefer to reduce the enemy population through starvation and "deportations" (rushing workers/settlers). After a few turns, you can usually start a proper construction programme. Plus the resistance has usually been cowed, so to speak :king:

Having said that, I've just started playing at Emperor. Hence appearing on the advice-forum for the first time ever :blush: