What TV Shows are you watching? ζ: The seventh-season itch

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll assume it's intentional, then, and that he'll improve as I progress through the show.
Spoiler up to Halo S01E04 :
Alright, so John and Kai have their suppressant chips out. John is still unimpressive. However, I think Kai has been great. Ending the episode with the warning from Halsey's daughter that Halsey doesn't tolerate glitches was a fantastic scene.

I'm looking at my show app and considering rewatching one of the shows that I just never bothered finishing. Most of them aren't on Netflix anymore. It looks like they still have The 100, Homeland, and Gotham, so I'll probably do one of those. I'm leaning toward Homeland. I only ever watched the first season, I think.

Last edited:
I'm leaning toward Homeland. .
I found Homeland to be consistently very good throughout its run. I would temp subscribe to Showtime just to see it. You may want to re-watch the first season, since the 2nd and 3rd season directly relate to it.

I found Homeland to be consistently very good throughout its run. I would temp subscribe to Showtime just to see it. You may want to re-watch the first season, since the 2nd and 3rd season directly relate to it.
Oh, yes, I always do a rewatch from the beginning if it's been years. :) My memory isn't good enough to wade into a delayed continuation gracefully. :lol:

I re-watched the early Homeland seasons at the beginning of the Covid epidemic, when I was sent home for three months. Lymond is right, seasons 1-2-3 are one storyline. I haven't watched the latest seasons yet, though. Anyone know if seasons 6-7-8 are connected in one storyline?

I'm leaning toward Homeland. I only ever watched the first season, I think.
Clare Danes is pretty excellent.
Her new show on Apple+, May 13 is The Essex Serpent.

I re-watched the early Homeland seasons at the beginning of the Covid epidemic, when I was sent home for three months. Lymond is right, seasons 1-2-3 are one storyline. I haven't watched the latest seasons yet, though. Anyone know if seasons 6-7-8 are connected in one storyline?

It's hard to remember all the continuity now, but I'd not necessarily say its one storyline. Quite a few interconnected pieces and characters. Mandy Patankin is there to the end. Quinn (Rupert Friend) goes through quite an ordeal in Season 6 in a follow-on to Season 5 I think....can't remember which season he entered (Season 2). But each season usually brings a different setting and some sort of personal and/or professional reset from Carrie. Carrie works with the US President in some capacity in 6-7, which I thought was good stuff, especially how the President ends up turning out. The final season is good. It's clearly structured to provide some kind of closure from Carrie's character. I wasn't necessary overjoyed by where she ends up, but in some ways it is fitting to a lot of stuff that went on throughout the series.

I was full-invested in the entire series since the beginning, and although Damien Lewis' arc was certainly great, I really enjoyed a lot of stuff that happens after that ended. Quinn's stuff in 5-6 is pretty brutal.

Clare Danes is pretty excellent.
Her new show on Apple+, May 13 is The Essex Serpent.
Interesting! I'd not heard of this one. The setting sounds great. A bit leery of Claire affecting a Brit accent, but she is married to one so maybe she gets some practice in...ha..and she is an excellent actress.

Last edited:
I gave Counterpart (2017) a 2-episode tryout over the weekend. It stars J.K. Simmons and J.K. Simmons, so that was fun. Pretty good, on the whole. Not sure yet whether it'll earn a place on the already-crowded calendar, though. It already took me 4-5 years to get around to it.

Ok, I'm I gonna hafta delay stopping Apple+ to watch Shining Girls?
Yeah, it might be worth $5. I'm not sure how many episodes are left.

Interesting! I'd not heard of this one. The setting sounds great. A bit leery of Claire affecting a Brit accent, but she is married to one so maybe she gets some practice in...ha..and she is an excellent actress.
I heard an interview with Hiddleston over the weekend, and he said her accent was good. Of course he was promoting the show, so who knows if he was being 100% sincere. "She gave it a real effort." "She's a courageous actor." "For an American..." "Her accent didn't make my ears bleed." "Better than Keanu Reeves, anyway." "Well, I did play Hank Williams, so, y'know, turnabout is fair play..."

It's hard to remember all the continuity now, but I'd not necessarily say its one storyline. Quite a few interconnected pieces and characters. Mandy Patankin is there to the end. Quinn (Rupert Friend) goes through quite an ordeal in Season 6 in a follow-on to Season 5 I think....can't remember which season he entered (Season 2). But each season usually brings a different setting and some sort of personal and/or professional reset from Carrie. Carrie works with the US President in some capacity in 6-7, which I thought was good stuff, especially how the President ends up turning out. The final season is good. It's clearly structured to provide some kind of closure from Carrie's character. I wasn't necessary overjoyed by where she ends up, but in some ways it is fitting to a lot of stuff that went on throughout the series.

I was full-invested in the entire series since the beginning, and although Damien Lewis' arc was certainly great, I really enjoyed a lot of stuff that happens after that ended. Quinn's stuff in 5-6 is pretty brutal.
OK, that's good I think. I think my favorite thing overall from the seasons I've watched (apart from Claire Danes killing it), are Mandy Patinkin and F. Murray Abraham. I really respect their portrayal of intelligence executives, their decision making proces and constant butting heads with the politicians, who are often informed by very different decision making paradigms and considerations. It seems realistic and accurate, this constant battle and powerplay between the people who decides the policy and the people who have to execute it.

'Doctor Who' Names Ncuti Gatwa As The New Doctor In Historic First: 'Beyond Excited'
Interesting choice. Never heard of the actor. I really hope the casting is guided by what's right for Doctor Who and less guided by an ambition to break new ground. Jodie Whittaker got a lot of flak, some of which should have been directed at the writers instead imo.

OK, that's good I think. I think my favorite thing overall from the seasons I've watched (apart from Claire Danes killing it), are Mandy Patinkin and F. Murray Abraham. I really respect their portrayal of intelligence executives, their decision making proces and constant butting heads with the politicians, who are often informed by very different decision making paradigms and considerations. It seems realistic and accurate, this constant battle and powerplay between the people who decides the policy and the people who have to execute it.
Yep, Abraham is around here and there throughout.

Pretty sure I'll be disappointed by dumb horses too. But there's nothing good to watch :)
You should try out The Circle. It's a reality TV show that encapsulates everything you despise. I think you'll love it.

(As a side note, I started watching The Circle. I'm already on episode five. :( )

It has Emma Watson. But I think I have never watched (fully) any movie she is in :o
I think you are referring to some older movie she was in. I can't see her doing reality tv junk.
So you did not suffer through the Potter movies?

Pretty sure I'll be disappointed by dumb horses too.

Oh..I have complete faith in that assessment :D

No, I haven't watched any of the HP movies.
I don't know if those are anything worth going back for. I (think I?) watched 2 or 3 of the films and read 2 or 3 of the books, and I can hardly remember a thing about them. Not to say they were bad, exactly, they just made no impression on me at all, and I can't really say why.

You should try out The Circle. It's a reality TV show that encapsulates everything you despise. I think you'll love it.

(As a side note, I started watching The Circle. I'm already on episode five. :( )

Season one was significantly better than season two. On to season three.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom