What TV Shows are you watching? ζ: The seventh-season itch

Status
Not open for further replies.
:woohoo: Carolina takes down Duke in a fabulous and hard fought game! Beating Coach K is always great! Ending his regular season with a loss at Duke is topped off by ending his career with another loss in the final Four!

Now back to our regularly scheduled program.

:woohoo: Carolina takes down Duke in a fabulous and hard fought game! Beating Coach K is always great! Ending his regular season with a loss at Duke is topped off by ending his career with another loss in the final Four!

Now back to our regularly scheduled program.
And my alma mater finished its ACC run by taking Dook down in the ACC tourney final :D! Enjoy retirement Coach K! See ya!

Go Jayhawks! Beat UNCheat!

Last edited:
Va Tech? Then you should want Carolina to win; by proxy any ACC team win in the finals rubs off a bit on to the rest of the league (except Duke).

Va Tech? Then you should want Carolina to win; by proxy any ACC team win in the finals rubs off a bit on to the rest of the league (except Duke).
100% pure Hokie! (No one even noticed my avatar a coupla weeks ago) You are exactly correct ;)...but I can't say such things publicly :dubious: (oh wait. I think I just did..) Funny how ACC bb was considered down this year, yet 2 teams in F4.

You can always archive the thread, but if you did so, I, as the thread starter, would be honour-bound to kill you.

I approve the spelling but the measure itself seems a bit on the overkill side of things. The Honor policy tree in Civ5 is one of continual annoyances much like the name of The Virginian himself. He's not Eastwood in High Plains Drifter but generally polite & mild-mannered individual usually presented as the foreman, often referenced as the Virginian but never introduces himself - not even in a roundabout way like 'they call me Virginian'.
It has become increasingly annoying the same way that PG(-13) avoids cursing. I don't need to know his name nor hear anyone constantly cursing but the ways avoiding that are beyond stupid and that annoys me to no end.

I'm sorry, but long experience playing Civ3 has determined my foreign policy: you touch one of my cities, I end your civ's existence as an independent entity.

Slow Horses (2022) first two eps. Decent, not blowing my hair back yet. Weird sense of humor.

The premise made me think of The Unusuals (2009), Noah Hawley's first show (Fargo; Legion), with Jeremy Renner and Amber Tamblyn playing oddball NYPD detectives.

Slow Horses (2022).

Watched the first epi last night, as I was looking forward to this one. I liked it. Glad it's more serious than just a comedy. One thing I did not get is the agent getting sent to the pit for a training exercise blunder, which apparently wasn't really his mistake. It'll be interesting to find out what Olivia Cooke's blunder was, as she seems pretty competent herself here.

I think the series will hinge on how interesting the cases are, which really was not established much in the first epi.

I started watching Beforeigners (2019) on HBO Max this week. Only a couple of episodes in, but it's pretty cool. Will definitely keep watching.

In brief, time portals periodically open in the present day, dumping thousands of bewildered "timeigrants" from 3 eras, the Stone Age, the Viking Age, and the 19th Century. An Oslo police detective with issues teams up with a Viking fresh out of the police academy to investigate the murder of one of the time-displaced. Remember Alien Nation (the movie or the tv show)? Well, there you go. Will Smith and Joel Edgerton did this thing a couple years ago, with Orcs & Elves in present-day Los Angeles, but it was disappointing. This one's better, at least so far.
  • Oslo looks awesome. Definitely wouldn't mind going there.
  • Old Norse sounds awesome. No idea whether the actors are speaking it correctly, but f it, it sounds cool.
  • Of course you're using subtitles, you philistine. HBO Max is one of the streaming services that gives you maximum control of the subtitles. Multiple color and font-size options. You can even choose the font.
  • The "russ-bus" thing seemed to be important, so I was moved to look it up. It's about russefeiring, which I don't fully understand, but for the purposes of the show, I think I get the gist.
  • Uror is a riot. I hope she sticks around.
  • If you've got kids, there isn't much violence so far, but there's quite a bit of casual nudity, including full-frontal. And just judging from the way the show seems to be handling its business so far, I bet when the swords and stone clubs do come out, it's going to be some Vikings-style mess.

Damn, now I want to watch this.

I binged through all of Foundation. Great show, and it follows the books more closely than I thought it would, although.. I admit it gets a bit boring at times. At times it almost feels like the show is trying very hard to be like Game of Thrones in space or something.. and the actors they have are good, but they aren't that good.. A part of the appeal of Game of Thrones for me was that dramatic interludes between characters often felt like you were watching a movie. Foundation seems to want to replicate that, but it falls a bit flat. Overall I like it and will keep watching, but it's almost as if it could have been a much better show with a bit more funding (or something)

I started watching See. The interesting premise drew me in and I admit Momoa drew me in a bit too. I wanted to see what it was all about and ended up watching 2 or 3 episodes. I'll probably return to it after I finish binging

Severance, which is currently my all-time favourite show of all-time. I just can't get enough of it. If you haven't watched it already, you have to check it out! Start watching it without reading anything about it or watching the trailer. Trust me, you will thank me later

Black Lightning is a show of missed potential. I watched the first season long ago when it first released, and only returned for a rewatch now once the show is done and over with. Of its four seasons, I rated it 7.5, 7, 6, and then finally 3. There was a lot of potential here but the show never actualized any of it. Instead, it got mired in contrived political/social commentary and nonsensical character changes that undo prior development for no real reason except introducing drama.

The final season of The Last Kingdom was very good. 9.5/10. I appreciated that they dropped Uhtred's trope of falling in love with and bedding a new woman in every season after the previous one gets murdered dead in some way. Decent character arc resolutions and the battles were good fun. I'm surprised this show was kept so long and did so well despite utterly no marketing.

I am watching Moon Knight but there's only been the pilot so far. It is not very interesting, but maybe that will change.

I am also watching For All Mankind, wherein the Soviets make it to the Moon before the US does. I'm only three episodes in and I keep asking myself what the point is. There doesn't seem to be any real story or substance here beyond putting someone's late-night what-if? musings into a visual medium.

Severance, which is currently my all-time favourite show of all-time. I just can't get enough of it. If you haven't watched it already, you have to check it out! Start watching it without reading anything about it or watching the trailer. Trust me, you will thank me later
And don't forget yall, we gotta Severance spoiler thread over in A&E :D

The final season of The Last Kingdom was very good. 9.5/10. I appreciated that they dropped Uhtred's trope of falling in love with and bedding a new woman in every season after the previous one gets murdered dead in some way. Decent character arc resolutions and the battles were good fun. I'm surprised this show was kept so long and did so well despite utterly no marketing.

I'm surprised it doesn't get mentioned more here. I've only seen Bird and myself mention it lately, maybe Egon. Great show and great run. Netflix is kinda its own marketing though.

BTW, although the series has ended, they just wrapped up a follow-up movie for TLK. I think it'll come out later this year.

I think the Cornwell book series was pretty much all about Uhtred, but I"m hoping they can come up with another series. Maybe with him as advisor/writer. Lots of good stuff in the next coupla centuries to work with.

Last edited:
I am also watching For All Mankind, wherein the Soviets make it to the Moon before the US does. I'm only three episodes in and I keep asking myself what the point is. There doesn't seem to be any real story or substance here beyond putting someone's late-night what-if? musings into a visual medium.
I am quite enjoying it, but I agree with you they are failing to make any interesting political points about the "what if". When it started I totally thought it was going to be some utopia that evolved from the changing balance of power, but it is not that.

Now on to Castle S3 (though the first episode brought me pretty close to shouting at the TV) and Clone Wars S2 (quite enjoying it, despite the overly portentous voiceovers at the start of every episode — what, someone thought 'thah kidz' wouldn't be able to cope with a classic SW text-crawl...?)

I am quite enjoying it, but I agree with you they are failing to make any interesting political points about the "what if". When it started I totally thought it was going to be some utopia that evolved from the changing balance of power, but it is not that.
I really liked that For All Mankind didn't focus much on the political stuff. I liked it as a character drama with the alt history and political stuff in the background. Some of the alt history stuff is basically Easter Eggs, such as when, after the Soviets plant their flag on the Moon, a tv news report notes that Sen. Kennedy cut short his planned vacation to Chappaquiddick Island to attend congressional hearings.

I really enjoyed Moonknight's first episode (Disney+) though I found Oscar's fake accent to be rather annoying. He was very funny though, poor guy!

I think the Cornwell book series was pretty much all about Uhtred, but I"m hoping they can come up with another series. Maybe with him as advisor/writer. Lots of good stuff in the next coupla centuries to work with.

Isn't the Saxon series all about Uthred's relationahip with Alfred and the struggle between the Saxons and the Danes? Æthelstan had more-or-less united England by 930 and the last Danish ruler was kicked in in the 950s. I don't think you'd have even a vaguely similar situation until Canute in 1016.

I found Oscar's fake accent to be rather annoying.
I'd previously only seen him in SW XII–IX and Ex Machina *, so was rather surprised/impressed with how well he managed that sort of nondescript Estuary-English.

To the point where before posting this comment (and then looking stupid), I first looked him up in Wiki to see if he was actually British (he isn't). So yes, he did jolly well :thumbsup:

The last person who impressed me that much was Tatiana Maslany in Orphan Black.

*Edited to add:

Oopsie, turns out I've seen him in Russell Crowe's Robin Hood and X-Men: Apocalypse as well, but I guess he didn't make much of an impression on me in either of those...

Last edited:
I'd previously only seen him in SW XII–IX and Ex Machina, so was rather surprised/impressed with how well he managed that sort of nondescript Estuary-English.

To the point where before posting this comment (and then looking stupid), I first looked him up in Wiki to see if he was actually British (he isn't). So yes, he did jolly well :thumbsup:

The last person who impressed me that much was Tatiana Maslany in Orphan Black.
I'm biting my fingernails in anticipation of She-Hulk. I really want Maslany to be in another show I like. I miss her. As to North Americans doing British accents, everyone seemed to think Californian James Marsters did well in Buffy the Vampire Slayer, even right alongside genuine Londoner Anthony Head (and also alongside Juliet Landau, whose accent wasn't quite so convincing...). For a while, people on this side of The Pond just figured Marsters was English.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom