What TV Shows are you watching? ζ: The seventh-season itch

Status
Not open for further replies.
I watched the first 2 eps of The Peripheral. Pretty good, so far. It's based on a William Gibson novel that I haven't read.

I was told that Iain Glenn was in a show as Orestes, and thought of the following (pasting from what I commented on a nameless other forum ;) )

1667238668496.png

A couple of interesting casting announcements, from Deadline: "‘Severance’: Gwendoline Christie, Bob Balaban, Merritt Wever, Alia Shawkat Among 8 Cast In Season 2 of Apple Series" and "‘The Penguin’ Sets Cristin Milioti As Female Lead Sofia Falcone"

Deadline said:
Apple TV+ has added eight to the cast of workplace thriller Severance as principal photography gets underway on Season 2. Game of Thrones alumna Gwendoline Christie, Bob Balaban (The Chair), Merritt Wever (Godless), Alia Shawkat (Search Party), Robby Benson (Beauty and the Beast), Stefano Carannante (Mirabilia), Ólafur Darri Ólafsson (The Tourist) and John Noble (Fringe) join the Emmy-winning series starring Adam Scott, from creator and writer Dan Erickson and director and executive producer Ben Stiller.
I like Balaban, Shawkat and Noble. otoh, I couldn't care less about The Penguin, so I'm a little bummed that it'll be Milioti's next thing.

Great news about Severance!

Guillermo del Toro's Cabinet of Curiosities (Netflix)

Episodes 2, 4, 5 & 6
- the fifth installment Pickman's Model by Keith Thomas is the stand-out here. Excellent performances by Crispin Glover and Ben Barnes in this Lovecraftian tale. The other three are probably my least favorite of all 8 episodes. 4/5 for Pickman's Model; 2.5/5 for Catherine Hardwicke's Dreams In The Witchhouse; I wasn't overly impressed with how the story was told or the acting on display. 3/5 for episodes 2 & 4.

A couple of interesting casting announcements, from Deadline: "‘Severance’: Gwendoline Christie, Bob Balaban, Merritt Wever, Alia Shawkat Among 8 Cast In Season 2 of Apple Series"

I like Balaban, Shawkat and Noble. otoh, I couldn't care less about The Penguin, so I'm a little bummed that it'll be Milioti's next thing.
Excellent news. Balaban is always a dry joy, Shawcat was great in Green Room.

I'm actually re-watching Severance right now. :)

Kleo on Netflix was pretty good. It is a tongue & cheek spy thriller (but not a comedy) that takes place in East Germany from just before the collapse of the wall until '89. It was a fun mix of a great spy story and interesting characters. 8 episodes. Lots of clever goings on.

A couple of interesting casting announcements, from Deadline: "‘Severance’: Gwendoline Christie, Bob Balaban, Merritt Wever, Alia Shawkat Among 8 Cast In Season 2 of Apple Series" and "‘The Penguin’ Sets Cristin Milioti As Female Lead Sofia Falcone"

I am not optimistic about so massive a cast expansion. It has vibes of "making it up as we go along". But we shall see, hopefully it's not so :yup:

Guillermo del Toro's Cabinet of Curiosities (Netflix)

Episodes 2, 4, 5 & 6
- the fifth installment Pickman's Model by Keith Thomas is the stand-out here. Excellent performances by Crispin Glover and Ben Barnes in this Lovecraftian tale. The other three are probably my least favorite of all 8 episodes. 4/5 for Pickman's Model; 2.5/5 for Catherine Hardwicke's Dreams In The Witchhouse; I wasn't overly impressed with how the story was told or the acting on display. 3/5 for episodes 2 & 4.
Both are by Lovecraft, so it's a bit of a stretch to title this "Del Toro's" cabinet of curiosities :mischief:
"Tonight, on Kyriakos' Cabinet of Curiosities, The Burrow by Franz Kafka "

Last edited:
So what should be the title, then? ‘Guillermo del Toro's H. P. Lovecraft's Cabinet of Curiosities’?

It's November, so it's time for my sorta-monthly update to this thread...

Most of my viewing over the past month has been with wifey: we've finished The Rookie S4 (still going strong, though the last episode's premise of Bradford and Chen having doppelgängers who just happened to be criminals and in a relationship with each other was pretty hokey), Derry Girls S3 (just as good as S1 + S2, but as ever too short) and New Amsterdam S2 (which for some reason decided to turn half the characters into idiots — including Max, though he does at least have the excuse of being grief-stricken after losing his wife in the ambulance-crash at the end of S1).

We're now most of the way through The Umbrella Academy S3: turns out it would have been a good idea to re-watch the last couple of eps of S2 as a refresher first, but never mind. After she goes to bed, I've stayed on Netflix to watch an occasional episode of Russian Doll S2 and/or Jane the Virgin S1.

To scratch the S.W.A.T./Rookie itch, I also tried the first episode of L.A.'s Finest. Concluded that it might as well have been called Two Hot Lady Cops, because that's about all it's got going for it. Probably won't be continuing...

On the Other Channel I've been really enjoying Andor (at least, I have when the app on my phone will connect properly to the dongle on our not-so-smart-TV — instead of streaming 10 seconds, then pausing for a minute, then streaming another 10 seconds, then pausing for a minute...)

On the near-future horizon are The Dragon Prince S4 and Warrior Nun S2, both due to drop (finally!) on Netflix this week — but I will have to wait until January(?) for The Bad Batch S2 (booo!). In the meantime, The Old Man S1 has also been watchlisted...

Last edited:
Most of my viewing over the past month has been with wifey: we've finished The Rookie S4 (still going strong, though the last episode's premise of Bradford and Chen having doppelgängers who just happened to be criminals and in a relationship with each other was pretty hokey),
Agreed.
Spoiler :
"Chenford" makes me cringe. They feel more like siblings to me, I guess. I like them pranking each other.

To scratch the S.W.A.T./Rookie itch, I also tried the first episode of L.A.'s Finest. Concluded that it might as well have been called Two Hot Lady Cops, because that's about all it's got going for it. Probably won't be continuing...
I haven't seen SWAT (well, not the new one) or L.A. Finest, but have you tried Southland (2009)? It doesn't have the sense of humor that The Rookie has, if that's critical, but it's got a great cast of people you might recognize. ReelGood tells me it's streaming on HBO Max (in the US).

I also tried the first episode of L.A.'s Finest. Concluded that it might as well have been called Two Hot Lady Cops, because that's about all it's got going for it. Probably won't be continuing...
Oh yes, I watched a couple of episodes when it aired on cable here before I just gave up.

Sigh :/

What is the point in making this as anti-Lovecraft as possible? The narrator even has a wife/gf, and it doesn't look like he is narrating the story to some other artist either.
"I have always tried to look for the beauty in everything" - what? This isn't what the story was about; there the narrator is enamored by horror from the start, not as a consequence of Pickman.
Not much love for the actual author and his original work, I see :)
(then again, the actual paintings by Pickman look like crap, unlike in the story where they are supposed to be exceptional)

I just finished watching Rings of Power. It was way better than I thought It would be, even though Amazon strayed away from the source material a bit, it was still one of the best things that I have watched recently.

I just finished watching Rings of Power. It was way better than I thought It would be, even though Amazon strayed away from the source material a bit, it was still one of the best things that I have watched recently.
Hello and Welcome to Off Topic at CFC. If youhave any questions about our forum and posting, don't hesitate to to use the conversation/message function to ask any moderator. In addition, in the Civfanatics section, you can ask questions in the Site Feedback subforum there.

Hello and Welcome to Off Topic at CFC. If youhave any questions about our forum and posting, don't hesitate to to use the conversation/message function to ask any moderator. In addition, in the Civfanatics section, you can ask questions in the Site Feedback subforum there.
Ok, thanks!

I've been rewatching Whitechapel (2009) while home sick this week. Up to series 3 now. Phil Davis is a dude. Would buy him a pint. Also, I just learned that Hannah Walters, who plays DC Riley, is married to Stephen Graham. I'll buy the four of them a pint. Google also reveals that Nipper Read died of COVID-19, right at the beginning of the pandemic, April 2020, age 95. If you're a Yank like me, Nipper Read ("reed" not "red") was basically the British Eliot Ness - he took down the Kray twins in the late '60s.

I haven't seen SWAT (well, not the new one)
According to Wiki it's meant to be (mostly) the same characters as in the 2003(!) movie with Sam Jackson, Colin Ferrell and Michelle Rodriguez (which I've not seen) — which itself was an update/remake of the 70s TV series (ditto).

Had to go back a couple of threads to find what I wrote about it, first of all in this post here:
Watched a couple of episodes of S.W.A.T. S1, but probably won't stick with it.
...followed later on by...
Changed my mind and carried on with S.W.A.T. While it would likely be difficult to find a more earnest apologia for policemen-with-guns (the cold-open of the first episode had the old squad-leader accidentally shooting an unarmed teenager instead of the suspect he was chasing, and immediately getting fired; I strongly suspect this would not generally reflect reality), I have nonetheless been surprised at how few episodes have ended with the suspects-of-the-week getting shot, rather than being taken into custody.
but have you tried Southland (2009)? [...] ReelGood tells me it's streaming on HBO Max (in the US).
I have not, and likely will not, since we (still) don't have an HBO sub.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom