What TV Shows Are You Watching? Series VI - Programmes of Power

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love all the "foreign" shows on Netflix. Who knew that Finland had so many serial killers! :)

I recommend you watch it with subtitles on, although the dubbing is decent.
I'm still somewhat fluent in Korean, so I never watch K-Dramas with dubbing (although the subtitles help when my vocabulary fails me.). ;)
I love that Netflix has all this international content btw! I am currently watching Kingdom, another Korean horror/thriller type show. This one's more of a historical drama w/ zombie sort of deal and so far it's been pretty good.
That's another one we've been meaning to watch. I've heard it's quite good - the related movie that just came out, not so much.
I also checked out the German show Barbarians, about that epic battle between the Roman empire and the German tribes that put an end to roman expansion. I've got to say this is the most nationalistic German thing I've ever seen since World War II. I really enjoyed it, especially with the dubbing off - it allowed me to listen to the German to try to remember the language (I used to be fluent). It was also cool hearing the Latin. I would recommend this show.
Excellent and very historical-minded show - not the actual events per se (which they've taken some liberties with), but certainly the costuming and language. Recommend checking out Metatron's YT channel who did some good analysis of the show.

I have been binge watching a lot lately and historically influenced/based type shows like that are what I'm basically into right now. Give me more of that plz and pump up straight into my veins, even though I know they are never fully historically accurate

Are there any more shows like this, in other languages even? I've watched through Vikings, Norsemen, Barbarians.. and I think I am forgetting one or two

@warpus Chinese historical dramas run long and are not very action oriented. I've enjoyed several. Example: The longest day in Chang-an was a recent one I enjoyed. Subtitled.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Longest_Day_in_Chang'an

It took me a few episodes to get past the "they all look alike" aspect of Chinese dramas and keep folks straight by clothing, facial hair, topknot decoration etc.

I have been binge watching a lot lately and historically influenced/based type shows like that are what I'm basically into right now. Give me more of that plz and pump up straight into my veins, even though I know they are never fully historically accurate

Are there any more shows like this, in other languages even? I've watched through Vikings, Norsemen, Barbarians.. and I think I am forgetting one or two
I enjoyed Kingdom (the one mentioned above with korean zombies) but I loved The Last Kingdom (on netflix). it has a few seasons, similar to Vikings, but I thought it was better. Rome (~2006? HBO?) was also great.

:lol: All four of those you name, Laurana, might as well be videogame titles.

I watched two more episodes from series one of Sex Education. Good show: I laughed a lot.

Watching 4rth episode of Y: the last man on hulu. It's pretty hilarious. The premise is that all men die suddenly, some virus or something...literally in days, the world is apocalyptic! no power, no food, no medicine, bands of roving women bandits on horses, total anarchy....like women are so stupid they can screw in a lightbulb without having a man around, and on top of all that, the only man left is a kitten*

Last edited:
An article which I read about it explained a part with the inequal distribution of labour force.
e.g. only 5% of all truck drivers are women. And I guess a collapse of civilization without your daily supply of food to the supermarket or fuel to the gas station will have grave consequences in the bigger cities.

(think about the toilet paper hording lol)

I watched two more episodes from series one of Sex Education. Good show: I laughed a lot.

Ah... I should finally start the 3rd season.

Last edited:
I'm making a note of all these recommended shows @Birdjaguar @bernie14 @Laurana Kanan

The whole "historical zombie drama" genre is something I've been thinking about a bit, after starting to watch Kingdom. It makes me wonder why we haven't seen a show about zombie Vikings or Teutonic Knights yet.

Unrelated, but I finally started watching The Orville. The most Trek like show I've seen since Enterprise maybe? The third episode (the one with the sex change controversy) surprised me, I didn't think they would go there. So let me get this straight - this show feels more Trek than a lot of other Trek, it goes to places where Trek did not dare go, and it's actually kind of funny? And Norm MacDonald plays a blob? I should have started watching earlier

Last Kingdom is pretty ew to me. Everybody from wife, mother, aunty, sister, princess, queen, butterfly, cricket and ghoul want some piece of the main-character. Lol. It's exhausting to watch, a drama without romance is dry for me, but this is kind a overdose in the most narcistic way.

Recently watch Irish-Man on Netflix, it's pretty good. Good quality netflix for me would be, Cartel: Mexico, it's just such an expensive ride, the show is rich, it offers you many things, when it's over you still carve some more.

An article which I read about it explained a part with the inequal distribution of labour force.
e.g. only 5% of all truck drivers are women. And I guess a collapse of civilization without your daily supply of food to the supermarket or fuel to the gas station will have grave consequences in the bigger cities.
But See Women in the workforce during WW2

So, yeah... I think if all us guys went poof overnight, women would figure it out. ;)

In some parts surely, but I guess in others there would be great disruptions.

Btw not claiming that the opposite wouldn't happen either. If tomorrow all women vanished, there'd be major problems and shortages in a big bunch of sectors (eh, the healthcare sector would probably directly collapse).

Thinking about it... losing half the population, regardless of their gender, would probably be much more disruptive if it was sudden and unexpected (think Avengers Endgame). If the population "loss" was predictable and ongoing, due to some known events, like disease or war overseas for example, there would be more opportunity to mange any disruption.

Seinfeld

"On Friday, all 180 episodes of the beloved sitcom will be available on Netflix, where it is scheduled to remain for at least the next five years."

It makes me wonder why we haven't seen a show about zombie Vikings or Teutonic Knights yet.
You could just read the saga of Grettir, son of Asmund, who actually fights the undead, trolls and various spellcraft thrown at him. Also Laxdæla Saga has some views of Norse witchcraft.

My recollection of Sci Fi books prior to ~1980 is that with few exceptions, women were accessories to men and the stories. It has been a while since I've read those books. "The left Hand of Darkness" comes to mind as an exception.

Of course. "The left Hand of Darkness" was written by a woman.

I own all the DVD's. :smug:

Squid Game, they take their democracy seriously! :lol:

King's Avatar is also about the best TV show that eSports will ever get.

I'm making a note of all these recommended shows @Birdjaguar @bernie14 @Laurana Kanan

The whole "historical zombie drama" genre is something I've been thinking about a bit, after starting to watch Kingdom. It makes me wonder why we haven't seen a show about zombie Vikings or Teutonic Knights yet.

Unrelated, but I finally started watching The Orville. The most Trek like show I've seen since Enterprise maybe? The third episode (the one with the sex change controversy) surprised me, I didn't think they would go there. So let me get this straight - this show feels more Trek than a lot of other Trek, it goes to places where Trek did not dare go, and it's actually kind of funny? And Norm MacDonald plays a blob? I should have started watching earlier

The Orville is better than trek now lol. It's also fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom