What TV Shows Are You Watching? Series VI - Programmes of Power

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Arakhor, Jul 19, 2021.

1. Snerk

Snerk Smeghead

Fair enough. But tbf Seinfeld's whole thing was that is was "a show about nothing", so not having a coherent narrative was part of the package. And how the skits are kinda under coordinated and free flowing, or as you say rehearsal like, is the whole schtick about Larry David's works. And he took it to another level in Curb your enthusiasm.

Synsensa and Birdjaguar like this.
  2. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

Let me ask you this. Would it make sense to go back and watch all of GoT just so I can try to get into this new show? Would it make sense to only watch the first 7 seasons? Where should I stop watching, if I do this? Or would it be perfectly fine to watch this new show without ever watching GoT? (I've seen a season and a half or so)

@Synsensa Instead of trying to watch every single Seinfeld episode chronologically or whatever, I would watch the top episodes only. i.e. the masturbation contest, the soup nazi, and so on. Watch all the classic episodes, and if you don't like those, then Seinfeld is clearly not for you. But if they make you chuckle a bit, then it might very well be the best way to take in the show. I would imagine that if you force yourself to sit through a bunch of episodes you don't enjoy, you might very well end up hating some of the classics by the time you get there. But if you just watch those and nothing else, you might actually enjoy them to some degree (or not)

Synsensa and Birdjaguar like this.
  3. Snerk

Snerk Smeghead

To be honest if you dropped out of GoT pretty early on out of lack of interest, I don't see why the new show would fare much better.

Story wise you probably don't need anything from GoT to follow the new Targaryan show, by all accounts it will take place very many years earlier than the events in GoT. But you'd miss out on loads and loads of world building though.

Synsensa and warpus like this.
  4. Synsensa

Synsensa Especially the lies. Retired Moderator

Hmm. This isn't how I consume media at all. I'll... consider it.

5. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

@Snerk I stopped watching GoT due to other parts of life taking over at the time, it wasn't really because I wasn't enjoying the show. These days I'm in complete hermit mode and binge watch a lot more TV shows and movies, so I'm a bit more flexible when it comes to my visual entertainment options.

I might try to watch GoT again, we'll see. I just finished watching Netflix's "WW2 in colour" or whatever. That was pretty good. I've been watching so many random things that I can't even remember what else I've seen recently

With a show like Seinfeld you can do that without sacrificing any of the story, since there really isn't one. Yeah, there's some character development along the way, but you can pretty much watch random Seinfeld episodes in any order you want, and it doesn't really matter. Almost like Family Guy or the Simpsons or whatever. Contrasted with something like GoT, which you need to watch in order and can't just jump around.

6. Synsensa

Wheel of Fortune is a very easy watch. I can see why it's a cornerstone television show.

7. Takhisis

Takhisis Rum and coke.

Doesn't more or less everyone die in GoT anyway? It's kinda pointless with that.

8. Synsensa

We all more or less die in the grand scheme of things, Takhy-chan.

9. Birdjaguar

Birdjaguar Hanafubuki Super Moderator Supporter

I'm watching Warrior on HBO. Pretty good show so far. I do like costume dramas and westerns.

bernie14 and warpus like this.
  10. Takhisis

Takhisis Rum and coke.

Hmmmm. This isn't like that 13th Floor film, is it?

11. Ferocitus

Ferocitus Deity

Foundation - One of my all-time favourite sci-fi novels isn't getting a fair treatment. Too many wasted opportunities to explain what is going on.

Squid Game - average, with (non-accidental) Wes Anderson Death-in-Legoland moments. "Real Lighting Park" in the credits is a mystery to me. :)

American Rust
    - Mare of Easttown without the charm.

12. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

How has Foundation been? I always thought that it'd be a poor choice to attempt to adapt this series to the TV or the big screen. That's because there are really no common characters in between the different novels. IIRC the one thread tying everything together was Hari Seldon. So the way I saw it, you'd tell a short story, and then would have to jump 100+ years to the next part of the story and deal with completely different characters. Doesn't seem like a great setup for TV or the big screen

I also found the first couple novels.. sort of slow moving. Everything simply follows Seldon's plan. The best parts of the Foundation series for me was the Mule, was was admittedly a cool addition.. but again is a non-recurring character.. and Prelude to Foundation, which is a prequel written much later (by the same author still though)

Are they being faithful to the novels? Which ones are they adapting? Should I just suck it up and start watching?

13. Birdjaguar

Birdjaguar Hanafubuki Super Moderator Supporter

I read the books many years ago and have forgotten most of the details, but so far they story is hanging together pretty well including the various time jumps. I'm enjoying it. I don't like waiting for each episode so you might consider waiting for a bunch to pile up and then going through all together.

warpus likes this.
  14. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Creator

The Squid Game.
    It was nice, although possibly plagiarist; most of the plot and dynamic is there in the manga (and anime) Kaiji.

15. Laurana Kanan

Laurana Kanan Don’t underestimate who I am. Moderator

As I've said previously in this thread, it is not a faithful adaptation of the first novel at all. The show thus far is covering the time period of the first two short stories in the first Foundation novel - "The Psychohistorians" & "The Encyclopedists". But, there have been several plot points & character backstories that have been invented whole cloth or changed significantly. If you can set aside any expectations based on the literary work, it's actually not too bad of a show. I still hold my rating of 7/10 after the first four episodes.

Birdjaguar likes this.
  16. Synsensa

I've enjoyed it. Very pretty too.

Birdjaguar and warpus like this.
  17. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

So essentially this isn't Foundation, but rather "A story set in the Foundation universe", more or less? I can get behind that. Gonna check it out

Birdjaguar likes this.
  18. The_J

The_J Say No 2 Net Validations Super Moderator Supporter

:eek:
    Guess I need to get AppleTV now, this must be close to lifechanging!

19. Laurana Kanan

Laurana Kanan Don’t underestimate who I am. Moderator

It is, and it isn't. The opening credits state, "Based on the novels by Isaac Asimov." I'd say the show takes the overall premise/characters of the novels as a starting point, and then adapts/alters them to create something new and unique. Not unlike how the story in the reimagined BSG developed from the classic BSG show.
    See is also another worthwhile show to watch on ATVP.

warpus likes this.
  20. Sommerswerd

Sommerswerd You exist here

I did a "comprehensive analysis" (ie rant) on this a little while back so I will just quote it here for you, but the TL;DR is Yes, absolutely, GoT was an excellent show, absolutely superb... until Season 7, where its still OK, but starting to unravel at the seams, and then the first 2 episodes of Season 8 where it really has run its course. If you have the discipline to stop there, go for it, but you absolutely have to end your binge with Episode 2 of Season 8 or you will be kicking yourself. And its going to be tough because it will feel like you're missing the dramatic conclusion... but you're not. All you're missing is a complete trainwreck that will spoil the show for you. Season 1-6 is Game of Thrones. Seasons 7 and 8 are mediocre and bad fanfiction respectively, based on Game of Thrones. Stop after Season 6, or 7 (or even Episode 2 of Season 8) and you will be treated to one of the best shows ever put on TV. Go further than that and well... you've been warned.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2021
    Birdjaguar likes this.