What type of businesses should get government support (no taxes or funding)?

Narz

keeping it real
In the US churches don't pay taxes. One could argue they provide a community service (depends on the church, I think catholic churches offer boys only daycare but there have been some 1 star reviews).

Libraries are state sponsored but have largely had hours cut over my lifetime (almost nowhere I've lived have local libraries been open on Sundays).

What other community building organizations should receive support?

If they are community organised and run?
Childcare, citizen's advice bureau type organisations (don't know if theres a US equivilent to our CAB), community halls (for use by local organisations), sports centres/swimming pools, drug rehab, meals on wheels and services providing food for the elderly and others who may have trouble shopping and cooking for themselves.

US churches that preach politics from the pulpit can lose their tax free status. IIRC there are some cases under investigation.

community halls (for use by local organisations),
Public underrates the value of secular meeting places/organization. State should organize and open community centers at scale. The organizations that created social ties and fostered community in the past were mostly religious, which are becoming less functional as the #s of the irreligious grow.

If you don’t want populations veering towards extremes, introduce the moderating effect of community.

I think any non-profit social service organization could at least be exempt from paying taxes.

I don't think churches should be tax-exempt just because they're churches. Of course some churches also provide social services. I think exempting a religious organization from paying taxes violates the principles of separation of church and state, and of religious liberty, so a church that wanted to operate a non-profit social service would have to make that a separate organization and keep separate books (which they might want to do anyway, I suppose).

Public libraries around here are municipal services, not non-profit businesses. But before public libraries were the norm, there were social libraries, which were lending libraries open to the public, but requiring a membership or subscription fee. Benjamin Franklin founded one of those in Philadelphia well before our War of Independence. I think they were common up through the 19th Century. I'm not sure how many of those are still around today, but there are some, and I suppose they could be tax-exempt non-profits. I'm not sure private libraries should be tax exempt. I think private schools are tax exempt organizations, so I suppose their libraries would be too, whether they share their collections with the public or not.

I assume museums are like libraries, but I have no idea how many museums are municipal services, the way public libraries are. I imagine a lot of them are non-profits, though. I think the National Gallery in Washington DC is free. I don't know about the British Museum in London, or the Louvre in Paris, or other comparable places. Are those free? Or, at least, inexpensive?

EDIT: Also the Smithsonian museums are free to enter, funded partly with federal money. If I can ever get my [butt] to Washington DC, there's a lot you can do without spending a dime.

Anything that generates positive externalities is, by definition, underinvested in by the free market. Positive externalities means the benefit goes beyond the producer's ability to capture the revenue. The obvious goods are militaries, firehouses, infrastructure, and education.

Healthier people provides huge positive externalities, so more government investment into both healthcare (mental and physical) and healthiness. Gyms, food, walkability in cities, parks, playgrounds, competitions, pools, etc.

Less obvious and deeply critical is art of all stripes. I would support much greater government infrastructure in the arts.

Less obvious still is straight up for-profit investment. The free market chronically underinvests in itself.

Generally amenities by local government.

National scale things like military, police, strategic assets (nukes, military related industries), strategic infrastructure.

Depending on country social housing, energy generation things like that.

They all still pay tax here but government intervenes sometimes on shtf scenarios eg handouts for national airline

Prior to Reagan, Health Insurance companies were mostly non profit.

Top Bottom