what type of victory do you hate?

nadeem

Chieftain
is there any type of victory that you always deselect in your games, or one that you never go for? ...and why?!

Time because it take too long. I don't turn it off but I don't think I've ever gotten one. Always conquest for me.

Hi

I pretty much almost never go for space or culture. Just because those kind of victories always seem to just end with hitting shfit return a bunch of times and thst just not any fun.

I dont turn em off though just never try for em. I think I have done space onetime in the past year or so and culture win just like 3 times ever.

Sometimes just for fun I DO turn off dom victory just so I can try and take over the entire map. It always fun seeing your civs color spread out over the map and can be annoying sometimes when game ends and I am like Hey!! I still of 40% of map to go :p

Kaytie

I don't like time. Ever. And on high difficulties getting it means trying for it very pointedly and painfully.

I hate going for peaceful wins on slow speeds, and for warmonger wins on fast speeds. The game is optimized nonsensically such that quick/normal favors peaceful games/teching and possibly just enough war to get the land you need (but only if required)...while on epic/marathon war is much easier and tends to give higher returns vs the investment.

That's not to say you can't buck that trend, but in terms of ease that's how it is.

On a side note, I used to HATE HATE HATE culture (not from the AI where razing a city is ez sauce but actually bothering to try for it myself), but I'm more neutral to it now, after playing a bunch of quick OCC PA games and a couple more realistic ones.

The optimal method for winning culture quickly is one thing and requires thought/planning to get one early.

However, as long as you have good a couple cottage cities and win the tech path of SM ---> Physics ---> Electricity ---> Radio ---> Mass Media, and have even one religion, culture is pretty easy. The AI is very poor at religious based culture, so taking its modern culture wonders nerfs that VC to hell for it. Meanwhile, with those wonders, FS, broadcast towers, hermitage, and possibly a cathedral or so player cities can hit legendary pretty quick - especially if one gets jewelers or sushi it's a bit faster than space actually (and you can trade these techs back for military ones).

Space = Apollo then superconductors then techs for other parts. I like space less than culture now but it's not so bad I guess. You won't see me doing it much though.

So now I just hate time.

i dont like domination

so much left to kill, yet you declare victory? nahhh
dont leave the job unfinished.

i usually go for conquest single player.

I rather dislike Space. So what if you're the first... often a competitor is right on your heels and while it might be an important moment in history it really does nothing to ensure the dominance of your civilisation.
Also, I find even unplanned culture victories at least as fast and less tedious.

Also, the quick way to win Apostolic Palace victories seem broken. Fine, you're the undisputed religious leader of an unimportant and mostly powerless faith... this equals a won game how?

I only had one time victory... and that was a lot of fun (locked in a world war for ages, ended with most of the world being a glowing radioactive wasteland). Not something I'd go for deliberately though... if my games aren't won in the 16th century they are usually decided by then; cleanup shouldn't take 500 years.

Nah. In BTS, Culture Wins with Sid's and Jewellers is definitely the faster option. You would have to want Space pretty bad to get it - it's just not as fast a default win condition as Culture is. If you have 2 or 3 religions, you don't even need Eiffel or Rock and Roll. Sid's and Jeweller's are the important pieces there, and if you can't get the Artist, then CreateCon is almost as good.

Time is something I've never actually acheived, though. Is there any good reason to pursue it?

I'll probably get some guff for this one - I actually have only achieved a military (conquest) victory once. I usually win via space or culture, but my favorite to go for is diplomatic. I've always been a builder-minded player through all of the different civ titles, and I must say religion is by far my favorite aspect of civ IV. So I do my best to put the religion to good use, and convert enough of the world to my religion to get the votes I need. Its also the most challenging victory condition (in my opinion). It takes careful planning and, at times, the most strategic war you can imagine (knowing when and who to go to war with is crucial).

I agree with the most common answer for victory I hate - TIME, I'll never go for time.

I play Normal, Prince, and I never go for Domination, but leave in open. My startegy can't warp around Conquest, though I might soon win that way.

I dont like time... in higher difficulties... its kind of a "you have X turns to do a cultural, domination, diplomatic, space race victory or you lose"; because its very difficult to have the major score

Culture, and diplo with UN or AP. I almost never get these in BTS because anytime I try I always end up in massive wars that get me sidetracked and get domination or conqeust instead.

Nah. In BTS, Culture Wins with Sid's and Jewellers is definitely the faster option. You would have to want Space pretty bad to get it - it's just not as fast a default win condition as Culture is. If you have 2 or 3 religions, you don't even need Eiffel or Rock and Roll. Sid's and Jeweller's are the important pieces there, and if you can't get the Artist, then CreateCon is almost as good.

Time is something I've never actually acheived, though. Is there any good reason to pursue it?

It's a requirement in the HoF for EQM status...and man can it be a !Q@#$% to get on immortal, unless you choose abusive methodologies along the lines of leaving gandhi in the middle of your empire with 1 city on a terra or something ;).

Religious and/or Diplomatic victories. For some reason constantly cherry picking AI cities leads them to not voting for me. :dunno:

for domination, do ur vassals lands count?
because i hate getting domination victory when im so close to a conquest... so lately ive just been creating tons of colonies out of all my conquered lands. and returning random cities and watnot. which makes everybody love me... but its not as satisfying as taking over the entire world.

for domination, do ur vassals lands count?
because i hate getting domination victory when im so close to a conquest... so lately ive just been creating tons of colonies out of all my conquered lands. and returning random cities and watnot. which makes everybody love me... but its not as satisfying as taking over the entire world.

Vassals only count 1/2 toward dom land/pop, but 100% for diplo votes.

That's why I win more UN when going military...I get lazy.

The kind I hate? Zara winning a culture victory right before my spaceship gets to AC.

But seriously, I don't turn any victory conditions off. I'll win any way I can. Although I do find an AP win a bit cheesy.

Top Bottom