1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

What Unit are you glad was eliminated?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Diceclock, Apr 4, 2006.

1. Diceclock

Diceclock Chieftain

I'm thrilled the Yellow-suited Ski-man is gone. The old AI (Civ 2 i think) seemd to believe that Ski-men were the pinacle of human warefare. No matter how many tanks, helicopters and cruise missles I had, he always had a Ski-man willing to take it in the ass.

2. GiantRaven

GiantRaven Prince

Whoa? Yellow ski-men?

How can they not be cool

3. thenooblet22

thenooblet22 King

I'm glad that mass-murdering maniac Mao was finally recognized and removed...

*background chatter*

What?..

*chatter*

He is?..

*chatter*

They're adding Stalin?!1

4. Xanikk999

Xanikk999 History junkie

He means the Alpine troopers. And in civ 1-3 Units had a defense and attack value NOT stregnth, and it didnt change depending on your health.

And basically in civ2 the alpine trooper had the best defense stat and could take down tanks. It didnt make much sense that any city could train alpine troopers regardless of wether they were in the mountains but it was still fun!

5. zeeter

zeeter Emperor

I never liked the yello ski-men, either. I have no idea why Micropose felt that the ski-men were a better defensive unit than Riflemen (or whatever they replaced).

As far as a Civ3 unit that got eliminated....I'd have to go with....the.....hmmm....how about the Stealth Fighter. Was useless. Couldn't intercept.

6. blargh

blargh Warlord

NO YOU FOOOLS!!! :mad:

I loved those little yellow ski dudes. They were cheap, pretty tough and can whizz through forests and ice unlike riflemen, mech inf., etc. Of course if you didn't have the terrain to justify using them they were kinda useless but what would you expect of a guy wearing skis in the desert? :lol:

7. Ukas

Ukas Pthooey of Tomainia

You can ski down sand hills in the desert too!

8. migthegreek

migthegreek Back In Black

Oh my god I used to hate those guys. The AI used to use them for everything, including city-defense, and they used to just kill everything...

Attack an enemy city with Tanks and - what's that coming over the city walls? IT'S A JAMES-BOND-STYLE ALPINE TROOPER!!!

9. Mrdie

Mrdie Founder of eRegime

*Beach Boys song plays while Alpine troopers fly off a mountain into the air*

A View To A Kill certainly was an interesting movie. :p

10. Chamaedrys

Chamaedrys Emperor

I don't like the look of the alpine trooper. He doesn't look like a trooper, he looks like a tourist!

11. Older than Dirt

Older than Dirt King

Think of the Saffron Snow Skiers not as alpine troops but as Infiltration Infantry; when used in conjuction with spies they could move into mountains and forests and hills to surround cities so that when the cities fell there would be no pesky Partisans produced.

12. Palantir30

Palantir30 Warlord

That's not what Stealth Fighters were for. I actually really liked them, and I miss them. They made it so you didnt just show up at the enemy city with a sledgehammer of bombers and go to town.

The first thing you did was send Stealth Fighters in on Precision bombing missions (targets infrastructure). You dont want them intercepted in these missions. Once they'd taken out the SAM battery and Radio Tower, the effectiveness of the enemy Jet Fighters to intercept was reduced. Then you send in your own Jet Fighters to draw the defenders into the air. They dont have stealth, but that's good, because you WANT them intercepted and you take the defenders out. Now you have Air Superiority, and send in the bombers, sure that you wont lose any of those expensive things.

Kinda made the whole thing realistic, no? Much more so than suicide artillery....

As far as units I'm glad they removed....the Civ3 Conquistador. Every other uint had a movement in enemy territory of 3 or less. The Conquistador effectively had 6. You had to set up defenses twice as deep for Conquistadors as for everybody else. That's just too much imbalance for a UU.

13. Crimso

Crimso ...aaaaaagh!

Alpine Troopers were the greatest unit ever.

14. Berrie

Berrie Proud father

I agree about the alpine trooper. They were unrealistic in many ways.
    I do miss the paratrooper unit, though.

And what about the Explorer in CIV IV? Never found any use for that unit. I wouldn't miss it if it would be someday eliminated.

15. Mrdie

Mrdie Founder of eRegime

Indeed. From what it seems, it's basically a beefed up scout that has no use, since by the time you get it, half of the world should already be discovered.

16. Crighton

Crighton Emperor

Crap.

I'd forgotten about the partisans. That would be a nice touch to bring back.

I'm glad some of the Call to Power units went bye bye (that stupid ass plasma soldier, the devastator, those moronic space and undersea cities, seriously who wants to start founding cities by that particular point in time where you could build them?)

17. Older than Dirt

Older than Dirt King

Howitzers, ummmmm!

Howitzers + Engineers = Rapid World Conquest

18. kazapp

kazapp Emperor

It is used when you play on a Terra-style map, and have unpopulated large continents to discover when you get Galleons. Also, on maps with large Antarctica-type chunkc of land (unsure if such can be produced by any of the supplied map generators).

On most other types of maps, they are pretty useless, agreed. That doesn't make them less useful on those Terra maps though...

19. Xanikk999

Xanikk999 History junkie

They are mostly useless on terra maps as well because by the time you get caravels or galleons most of the goody huts have barbs sitting on them in the new world. And since explorers cant attack they cant get the huts. Also you cant draw the barb out from the hut once hes on it.

Conventional troops are still better then explorers.

20. Roibeárd

Roibeárd Warlord

I have found Explorers useful on Terra maps because you can load them on Caravels, so you don't have to wait for Astronomy and Galleons to explore the New World. The Explorer can't attack the barbs guarding the goody huts, but he can map out the new World to scout the locations and strength of the barb civs and find the goody huts and resources. Then, you send over the troops and settlers on Galleons and you know exactly where to put them.

The explorer can defend himself pretty well if attacked by a barb, but he can also just outrun any barb that comes near him.

Granted, Explorers' usefulness is limited to this function only, but I believe that is what they are intended for.