1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

What unit should have GG attached? How many units should share the experience bonus?

Discussion in 'Civ4Col - Strategy & Tips' started by muxec, Apr 5, 2009.

1. muxec

muxec Prince

What is the best choice of unit when it comes to assigning great generals? Should I attempt to spread 20Xp among 20 units or try to give entire experience bonus to a single unit?

2. dalgo

dalgo Emperor

I generally add my first GG to a vet dragoon and give him enough experience to make him Surgeon III - it may not be the most efficient way to use a GG but it feels more appropriate to use one on a veteran. Later during the WOI a good alternative is to raise 10 raw recruits to their first promotion level before sending them in to battle.

3. Dale

Dale Deity

I like to attach GG's to a stack of dragoons and give then withdrawal promotions. Means the chances of surviving a battle are greater.

4. popejubal

popejubal Emperor

Promotions are great and promotions help units survive and achieve much more than a green unit would, but promotions also get very expensive after the first 3.

In Civ IV, I generally try to crank out a decent number of units with 5 XP at production and then I put 4 of them under a Great General to allow all of them to hit 10 XP together. That gives me a nice balance of high XP and a good number of units getting that XP. Because CivIV BtS has a lot of outstanding promotions that occur on the third promotion (City Raider III, Woodsman III, etc), getting to 10 XP is very nice.

In Civ4Col, I'd probably either go for 2 or 4 units. Most of this depends on what I'm going to do with the units. If you got a Great General, then you were involved in a war. I'll assume it was before the Revolution and that you are going to continue with your wars, so...

4 Dragoons, each getting 5 XP. You probably have 4 Dragoons that have 5 XP already, so taking them each to 10 XP gets you the extra promotion quickly and makes them just that much more effective in combat. If you don't already have a Scout up to 5 XP yet, maybe make one scout with Explore II to get the faster move through terrain and the greater visibility. He won't win any serious combats, but he will give you a much better idea of what to expect near your combat and when you're finished this war, he'll give you an excellent idea of where your next war is going to be.

I'd most likely make mostly the same decision regardless of my leader choice - even half cost XP means 5 XP = 3 promotions, so I might drop the promotion on 4 brand new Dragoons to get them up to fighting fitness quickly. Otherwise, I'll go for 4 units, each of which already have a few XP so that I can get the most bang for my buck.

5. tour86rocker

tour86rocker Warlord

Why a dragoon and not a soldier? Aren't dragoons at a disadvantage when it comes to defending themselves? If the main purpose of the unit is to provide a healing bonus, shouldn't they stay alive and not attack?

6. dalgo

dalgo Emperor

My surgeons are expected to fight too :) I do give them easy targets though - artillery or wounded troops. The extra movement points can also be useful if the REF changes it's point of attack and you want to move your healing base.

One possible problem with using your surgeon as a defender is that he may have to do just that if the colony comes under attack. And if he is really unlucky he could be facing enemy artillery with their 150% colony attack bonus.