Votes: 2 8.7%
  • Civ2

Votes: 12 52.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dell19

Take a break
Which version would you like to see us play on? It would be a nice idea if some other polls were created over the next week to start narrowing down our options.

To me it doesn't matter but to lure as many players in as possible I suggest to play Civ2 classic as not everyone has FW or MGE and maybe aren't able to download the patches and upgrade their game.

LOL, I just made a post very similar to this topic...

----------------------------
One general comment... the .SAV should be able to be read by 2.42 (Classic), 2.62 (CiC), 2.72 (FW), and 5.4.0f (MGE). This is so the max number of people can access the game. In effect, it means the game must be saved in 2.42 format, without any of the special options that can conflict with other versions.

Classic = "original", which is sold for less than $10 USD at discount stores.
CiC = Conflicts in Civilization
FW = Future Worlds
MGE = Multiplayer Gold Edition

For those that can't use the .SAVs, like Sony Playstation, or no internet dowload privliges (e.g., work, or gov't access only), much participation is still possible, and we (some of us) will be posting key screenshots anyway.
----------------------------

It is my understanding that the Civ 2 classic (2.42) .SAVs are the most compatible.... assuming this to be true, the game should be played in 2.42. This means Presidents must have 2.42, or downgrade using Cedric's patch.

So I voted for 2.42 to ensure any Civ 2 PC/MAC players can download and read the games.

The thing is though, that if they can download the saved games then they should be able to download the MGE patch. it also shows that they have some interest in playing the game as they have made an effort to join in. It could get annoying if new people take on jobs and then disappear.

Can people with MGE see classic games?

Can people with MGE see classic games?
Yes, most of the time. The exception is for certain unusual games like the Diety +1 setting. For all standard (e.g., "regular") games, MGE can see Classic.

However, if a MGE save is loaded by a Classic Civ 2 game, you'll get a "Failed to load game: file is not a saved game." message.

Thus, it is a one-way street -- MGE players can load and play a Classic .SAV, but Classic players cannot even load a MGE .SAV.

That's why I think 2.42 should be the format the games are saved in. And since the President is the one that needs to actually save the .SAVs, then it is up to the President to use 2.42 to play the turns and save the games.

:)

Where's the option for Playstation? ;)
I'm happy to go with Classic for the reasons that starlifter gave, although that would obviously depend on whether we play a scenario or not. So this poll depends on the result of the other poll. :crazyeye:
In the case that the other poll chooses to play a scenario, then I vote MGE for this one, simply because fo the greater range of scenarios available.

As there is nearly a tie and its unlikely that the other poll will choose a scenario, it makes sense to play a standard Civ 2 game as others may have voted for MGE, for the extra scenarios.

Civ 2 "classic" for all the reasons starlifter gave. Really, is there any "play" difference between classic, FW, or MGE? It makes sense to use the platform most accessible by everyone.

As far as a difference, I've heard tell that the MGE AI is at times more aggressive and nastier. I think that's about it, though.

I actually have both, so no problem here. I'd imagine that Classic (2.42) would be the better choice just so everyone can see the game. However, it will limit the choice of presidential candidates to those with Classic, willing/able to "downgrade", or willing/able to obtain it. As a worst case, we could always 'switch' to MGE if we can only find candidates for president who have MGE.

I think dukie oughtta get himself a real computer copy so's he can see what's happening. Heck, I got my MGE on ebay for $9.00 American. Get with the program, buster.

In general I have found the MGE AI to be better and more challenging. I have every version (for scenario purposes) so it doesn't really matter to me. But I agree that the MGE patch is readily available and anyone who wants to play can d/l it.

Originally posted by Kev
I think dukie oughtta get himself a real computer copy so's he can see what's happening. Heck, I got my MGE on ebay for $9.00 American. Get with the program, buster.

That's not the problem! I've got a practically pristine copy of Classic, but my computer is bust and I haven't got the cash to get it repaired and upgraded or just buy a new one. Even if I went for a cheap new model, then my girlfriend would kill me for spending my alloted cash for our holiday so I wouldn't be able to use it anyway. :(:cry:

I feel for you duke, I really do. :(
I was lucky because my parents bought a new computer and gave me their old one. It's a 500MHz smoothly running machine, otherwise I would still be stuck with a continuously crashing 100MHz piece of junk......

Hmm, I did have classic but I am not sure if I could find it anywhere, it's been redudant ever since I purchased MGE. It is definatley possible to 'upgrade' classic to MGE is it possible to reverse the procces? i.e. is there an MGE to Classic patch? If not doesn't it just seem sensible to play in MGE and if you want to be President then d/l the patch (since you must have d/l capability in order to get the .sav's)?

Originally posted by duke o' york

That's not the problem! I've got a practically pristine copy of Classic, but my computer is bust and I haven't got the cash to get it repaired and upgraded or just buy a new one. Even if I went for a cheap new model, then my girlfriend would kill me for spending my alloted cash for our holiday so I wouldn't be able to use it anyway. :(:cry:

Sorry about that, dukie. :(

Maybe someone will surprise you on your birthday in Spetember with a brand new 2 ghz machine! If not, the screen shots will be there like before. :)

Hope you have a great holiday and that your girlfriend appreciates the sacrifices you make for her. :love: :crazyeye:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom