1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

What victory do you usually go for?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by oPunchDrunko, Oct 15, 2019.

1. oPunchDrunko

oPunchDrunko Prince

I always pick one in the start up screen. I only go for three: Culture, Science, or Domination.

I’m trying to play every Civ once, so I’ve only played about 6 games this way so far. When in a game for me there is no randomness when choosing a VC, it’s pretty much set before.

What about you guys?

2. Lily_Lancer

Lily_Lancer Emperor

For Science, Culture or Dom I tend to choose one after I played a number of turns, since basically there's no severe difference for these victories in early games.

However if I choose Diplo or Religious Victory I start planning for them from the start since they involve a religious part that you must focus on. However as Russia, Japan, Spain, Arabia or other Religious Civs I start a religion even for the above 3 types of victories, so for these Civs there is no difference.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2019
  3. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

These days I'm aiming for diplo with a cultural victory as backup.

4. Nefelia

Nefelia Prince

I tend to play colossal or larger maps. So far every game has become too unstable to play long before victory becomes a consideration.
    For my current game (on a colossal map), I think I may be able to reach religious victory. I stopped settling new cities in the New World with only 20% of it settled, so maybe the game will remain stable. :)

5. blackcatatonic

blackcatatonic Queen of Meme

Culture, it's the easiest and for me the most enjoyable.

qadams likes this.
  6. leandrombraz

leandrombraz Emperor

I play all victories equally but I been focusing more on Diplomatic since it's the newest. For every two games going for other victories, I play a diplomatic.

I decide which victory I'll go for before I start playing.

7. pkaem

pkaem Warlord

Since the ram nerf and serious AI warfare improvement my game is really bad right now. Don't have a lot of time to play atm but I almost lose every attempt right now. I fail on culture relic pushes, I totally fail on everything involving early war, if I go for a religion I miss the ga's, if I set up some campuses for a later push I get dowed from every direction. Deity AI has xbows ready by T60, even earlier sometimes. No sword or even knight will do sth here. I guess turteling for a late sv ir cv is still within reach, I try religious openers for faith/ga economy often, even if not I am far away from winning anything early. So the safest bet is a SV for me as the game feels unforgiving atm.

8. Isengardtom

Isengardtom Warlord

All except domination as I don’t enjoy that

9. Dragabond

Dragabond Warlord

I usually trip over a culture victory on my way to whatever else, so I try to race against my own culture output to see if I can win a science or diplomatic victory before people start buying my blue jeans and singing my pop music.

The only time I ever forgo founding a religion is when I play as the Kongo, but most of the time I don't feel like bothering with a religious victory. It's either ridiculously easy to accomplish or would be a brutal slog through piles of robed linebackers so not worth the effort. I do usually make it a point to stamp out the nearest competing religion(s), though, until we reach prayer homeostasis.

10. Metecury

Metecury Prince

My games usually start with me deciding to go for a science or culture victory. They always end in domination with some nuclear Armageddon on the side.

11. CoconutTank

CoconutTank Warlord Supporter

I think I currently have 5 dom victories, 3 diplo victories, 2 religious victories, and no culture, science nor score victories.

Been trying to get a culture victory for awhile, but apparently I'm very bad at managing great people and great works. I think a religion would probably help, but then I have to figure out how much I should invest in that direction.

Not sure if I want to purposefully get score victories, my sessions don't usually go past 300 turns if I'm not asleep at the wheel, and other civs are fairly likely to achieve their own victory before turn 500.

12. bengalryan9

bengalryan9 Warlord

I always do random for my civ choice so what victory I go for depends on who I get. Domination would be my least favorite to pursue, though.

13. WillowBrook

WillowBrook Lurker

Sometimes I have an idea of which victory I'll pursue when I set up the game; sometimes I just see how things unfold. Cultural ends up being the default if I don't decide to specifically pursue something else by about the industrial era.

14. LMT

LMT Warlord

I'm not an expert player by any means compared to many on this board. But one thing that still confuses me is when people say that "stumble into" a cultural victory. How are you doing that?

Granted, I'm really bad at CVs. I almost always go for a SV. But still, how does one get a victory that you're not even trying to get (other than something like a score victory)?

15. Lily_Lancer

Lily_Lancer Emperor

Maybe because they play low difficulties and kind of "enjoy the game" instead of flying rocket quickly.

If you play on prince or even settler the AI will have very low local tourist numbers, so you must be aware to reduce number of tourists before your victory. If you don't focus on SV but rather build everything(especially wonders and ski resorts)you'll soon have a high tourism that overwhelms your opponents and you get CV before SV.

Typical methods to reduce number of tourists to avoid CV:

Wipe out a Civ so that you lose all the foreign tourists from his country.
    Declare war on everyone else so as to ban trade routes and open border bonuses.
    Gift things to help other Civs to help them gain late-game inspirations that increase their local tourists.

16. Lonecat Nekophrodite

Lonecat Nekophrodite Prince

Not religious victory. except Spain.

I'd go for Science. and I did beat the game (RF) twice with this (First plays as Poland, later as Macedonia). and Once a score count victory in Vanilla rule. Never beat a game on culture.

17. montalaar

montalaar Chieftain

first i try to settle and create economy, have some campuses, maybe one military district, monuments, maybe some wall. but most important is to settle. then, next era comes and i have good sense what kind of map i have. that in turn reveals fastest victory conditions. mostly its culture or science. if i want go domination, that is pursued from the first turn, not matter what. same with faith, few first turns, shows what map i have, what city states i meet. religious victory is decided then. if that is russia and good tundra, it is set, victory or culture, or religion is set from first moves. i do not like korea, for it is so generic for me and +4 campuses on hills are just boring. i love to hunt for good spots for campuses, playing korea kills this aspect. plus incorporate campuses into district clusters is plain enjoyment - planning, thinking. gitarja to me is best civ atm, can pursue any victory even if map is not excatly right for certain victory types. you bath in gold usually and if so, can do almost all what you wish.

18. WillowBrook

WillowBrook Lurker

Maybe because I can't resist continuing to expand if there are places to expand to? And I don't build more military than necessary, so I have to build something in these cities. And I like wonders. And I don't like to cap population, so there are more districts to build, like theater squares. If I need era score later in the game, artifacts are easy sources. I can't help but try to theme museums of possible. And I like national parks for some reason.

Also, I usually play emperor or king, so there isn't usually a runaway competitor in culture.

If I decide to go for a culture victory, I'll build seaside resorts and ski resorts, but even without those, I'm having trouble getting a diplo victory before reaching a cultural one.
    (Although I just managed it last night, but I was giving away great works as soon as an AI had a slot for them.)

19. pkaem

pkaem Warlord

The main reason such things happen is the fact that you actually need a lot of culture to perform a good science victory. Main reasons are that you need a t3 government for being able to put worker charges into city projects, also the globalization civic is very handy etc.
    This plus the fact that one or the other may play on diffrent difficulties or you just don't have a strong culture civ in your actual game, may cause such an "accident".