1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

What Video Games Have You Been Playing #11: I should go

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by aimeeandbeatles, Apr 14, 2019.

1. Moff Jerjerrod

Moff Jerjerrod Chieftain

I've been playing the following three games this week:

1. CivIII Conquests using El-Justo's The Cold War Scenario
    2. Pax Nova
    3. Deity Empires (which rocks btw)

Lexicus likes this.
  2. Lexicus

Lexicus Warlord

Sorry bout that I didn't mean to sound like you should have read the post from the previous page, I messed that whole thing up I should have written something about being a hive mind in the complaining post

But seriously it is hella annoying. Almost a game-breaking issue for me. I tried to "fix" it by playing with the lowest possible habitable planets but that made the game slow and unfun.

3. aimeeandbeatles

aimeeandbeatles watermelon

I'm actually doing this! It's fun.

AdamCrock likes this.
  4. AdamCrock

AdamCrock Master of Darkness

make sure to post it here once You're done , I'd love to watch :D

5. aimeeandbeatles

aimeeandbeatles watermelon

I plan to.

yung.carl.jung likes this.
  6. lymond

lymond Rise Up! (Phoenix Style!) Hall of Fame Staff

Probably late to the party on this, but I would recommend Medieval 2 Total War as well. Played tons of hours of that years ago. Great feel and mechanics. I've owned a few others in the TW series, but never played any of them close to like I played TW2. Well, I did play a good bit of Empire TW and Napolean TW (which was kind of an expansion to Empire) - they were pretty good and different....and added naval combat which I could take or leave.

For M2TW, I'd recommend the Stainless Steel mod for expanded core gameplay. Adds some factions, tweaks and balancing. A mod you can really use from the start and basically know that you are playing the core game. Otherwise, if you want to expand on that, there is a huge modding community for that game with some great mods like LOTR mod. I bought it recently on Steam as well and play it still sometimes. (The expansion adds some specific scenarios like Britain, Teutonic, Aztec and Crusades. Britain is really cool playing as the Welsh with their Saethwyr archers - probably don't remember but I used a pic of those archers as my avatar here for years) Lastly, note that the Mongol invasion occurs in the later stages of the game with the Mongols spawning as several huge armies with sick generals in the East. Really fun and challenging, especially playing as an Eastern Europe faction like Hungary or the Poles, or even Venice.

Phrossack likes this.
  7. Phrossack

Phrossack Armored Fish and Armored Men

Yeah, realistically, there is no place at all for organic life in the future and it will be annihilated and replaced with machines, but reality is too bleak to make any kind of fun game.

8. TheMeInTeam

TheMeInTeam Top Logic

Are our present machines actually more energy-efficient than organic processes? Last I learned about it they weren't, but that was pretty long ago too.

The distinction could blur.

9. Phrossack

Phrossack Armored Fish and Armored Men

Our present machines are primitive compared to what would exist in a setting of galactic, FTL civilizations. It would be like comparing a caveman counting a handful of pebbles to a supercomputer.

But sci-fi settings tend to have primitive computers and robots compared to what they should have. Hell, the security mechs in Mass Effect 2 are not much more advanced than what Boston Dynamics is working on, and can only slowly walk where BD's Atlas can run, climb obstacles, and do backflips!

hobbsyoyo likes this.
  10. TheMeInTeam

TheMeInTeam Top Logic

Yes, but it doesn't seem reasonable to make assumptions about what machines of galactic civilizations would look like or whether FTL is even attainable. As of last time I heard, biological systems were more energy efficient than machines. In principle, such an advanced civilization could manufacture both biological machines and mechanical ones, or some combination. Or something we've not considered that's better than either.

11. Mouthwash

Mouthwash Escaped Lunatic

Finished Witcher 3 a while ago and forgot to write about it. Not much to say anyway; I've already explained that I think it's a thoroughly mediocre game. I also really didn't like the setting. Maybe I can't view it objectively, since I read the Witcher books before starting the video game and liked it, but it seems to squander every thematic opportunity it has and manages to be bland without even giving the player a feeling of desolation. I've never, ever felt excited exploring places, even when they were objectively cool (not even in that quest which makes you travel across universes, despite that being the most interesting one in the whole game). Also, certain plot points
    Spoiler :
    such as Yennefer capturing a genie and undoing the wish, or Ciri possibly becoming Empress
    felt really disrespectful to the source material, despite there perhaps being some justification for them from the perspective of the games. Also played a bit of Hearts of Stone and did not like it either.

I can only recommend that you read the books - you'll see the Witcher universe presented in a much more interesting manner, and in terms of quality they're nearly on par with ASoIaF.

I also want to recommend the Skyrim mod Clockwork. It's more polished than vanilla and has some clever effects, but it's also even more hauntingly beautiful than the best parts of the Dawnguard DLC. One of the most memorable experiences I've had in any game. Unfortunately, some later portions of the questline are... needlessly lengthy and a slog to get through. I did just fine with a level 7 character, but it's probably better to be around 20, simply because you'll get through those parts faster. Finally, while the house you get as a reward is fantastic, it's made up of several cells, meaning lots of loading screens if you make it your home.

12. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Warlord

It's not unreasonable to make assumptions at all. I don't know why you'd think otherwise.

13. Lexicus

Lexicus Warlord

What, in your own words, is the difference between a biological machine and a mechanical one?

14. TheMeInTeam

TheMeInTeam Top Logic

Living cells vs metal parts.

I don't see the distinction in the future being necessarily meaningful. I'm also not convinced that "organic life" will have "no place" which is what I initially questioned. Especially since so far it seems to be more efficient, but less trivial to manage.

15. Ironsided

Ironsided Flower of happiness

I've been playing a lot of Battle Brothers since the new dlc. It's a frustratingly unfair game at times. It does have that old games charm of being a mystery and forcing you to adapt and hone tactics and strategies as you progress.

16. Lexicus

Lexicus Warlord

There are lots of extant mechanical machines without metal parts.

Well yeah, when/if you get sufficiently advanced control over matter the distinction between nonliving and living stuff will likely collapse as will the distinction between biological and abiotic.

17. yung.carl.jung

yung.carl.jung Morose & Lugubrious

or they could be artists, musicians, writers and so forth, because human subjectivity and embodiment is something absolutely unique to us and no AI could possibly make a work of art as a reflection of the human condition, since the human condition can never be known by anyone lacking said embodyment and subjectivity/cognitive biases/etc.

is that really so? even nowadays scientists are realizing that there are organic ways of fabricating ressources much more effective than mechanic ways. example:

there is a corporation that has genetically engineered bacteria to transform the co2 from factories into ethanol, then genetically modified different bacteria to turn the ethanol into plane fuel that is both more lightweight and more efficient than kerosine. I think "biological factories" are not very unlikely. after all, what is more efficient than the smallest forms of life?

hobbsyoyo likes this.
  18. TheMeInTeam

TheMeInTeam Top Logic

Not so much organic though, at least not yet. Anyway it's not a serious issue for this discussion, I just thought it odd to rule out what is, to my knowledge, still the more efficient setup known to us.

19. Lexicus

Lexicus Warlord

I think all this stuff is loosely conceptualized in Stellaris by the "unity" resource, functions kinda similar to culture in Civ 5 :)

Now this....I'm not at all sure of.

Well, if we figure out the engineering principals, so to speak, of complex organic processes then the distinction will collapse.

Tbh I was going to say I think most of our current artificial industrial processes are likely more 'efficient' than biological ones, but I think that might just be an illusion fostered by burning through all that fossil carbon....

yung.carl.jung likes this.
  20. Akka

Akka Moody old mage.

Technological Singularity basically means machines will work like magic.
    And machines are MUCH MORE efficient than organics when it's about making precision strike. I'd bet that the real superpower of machine vs organic will be nanotechnology, not huge battleships.