1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

What Video Games Have You Been Playing #11: I should go

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by aimeeandbeatles, Apr 14, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yeekim

Yeekim Warlord

Well, I for one like Paradox very much, DLC policy and all.
    They do also release free content alongside said DLC - and sometimes all by itself.

2. GoodSarmatian

GoodSarmatian Blackpilled Idealist

Late to the Total War discussion, but Three Kingdoms is pretty good.
    Haven't played too much, and only Romance mode.
    Economic management is lighter than I hoped, but the battles are very rewarding without cheesy exploits, at least until you have enough money/experience/tech for advanced units.

Phrossack likes this.
  3. Lexicus

Lexicus Warlord

Spoiler :
    upload_2019-7-15_17-18-7.png

@Phrossack it's Media Magna, Persis and Carmania.

Phrossack likes this.
  4. Phrossack

Phrossack Armored Fish and Armored Men

You're taking a more historically accurate path than I did. With me, the Persian factions divided Iran between themselves and all became a big friendly blob that were just too nice for me to kill until the Arians got stuck raiding territory I'd just taken, so I hit Baktria, the Massagetae, and the Roxolani.

5. Lexicus

Lexicus Warlord

Huh. I attacked Parthava early and then attacked Media Atropatene because they had no allies. I basically just opportunistically attacked whatever I could attack without getting into a big war with multiple factions. The Great War against Sagartia and Alexandria Arachosia has been the hardest conflict...and with AA down to one settlement, and Sagartia down to 3 where before they controlled most of Iran, it has gone well for the Parthians.

6. Zack

Zack 99% hot gas

I've been thinking of trying out a full Dragon Age trilogy playthrough.

Any recommendations on the best origin stories for Origins? I've done a full playthrough with dwarf noble and a partial one with human noble.

7. Ajidica

Ajidica High Quality Person

I liked the mage as there are some neat interactions and callbacks when you go back there. Though for me taking a mage as my background means I can't bring Morrigan along with me who in my opinion has the best voice actor out of all the companions. (It doesn't help the actress, Claudia Black, played Aeryn in Farscape.)

8. Quintillus

Quintillus Archiving Civ3 Content Supporter

EU4 - Ryazan - 1726

Spoiler World Map :

Spoiler General World Situation :
    As seen from the map above, the world has many great powers, who have largely been consolidating their power. Great Britain and the Commonwealth are our strongest allies; Morocco, the Ottomans, the Timurids, France, Venice, and Denmark are our enemies (and the first three rivals, although the Danes likely deserve that more than the Moroccans). Britain is the strongest power in North America, while France is the dominant one in South America; Utrecht also has a respectable number of colonies.

In Africa, the story of most of the last century has been Moroccan and Ottoman expansion; I have allied Ajuraan (in white, south of Ottoman East Africa) to establish where the buck stops. Asia has been more interesting. The Timurids and Gujarat have been powerhouse alliance, and Ming has been a giant in the far east, but lately Delhi is challenging the order with some success. They have recently defeated Tibet and Ming, and now the Timurids are invading Ming as well. Crucially, Delhi's success, and new border with Ming, is threatening the Empress's Mandate of Heaven. For now, she still reigns securely, but every year more rumors of discontent reach our courts. However well she might rule internally, Delhi has people wondering if the dynasty is coming to an end, and if the Timurids are successful in their incursion, that will only accelerate.

Domestically in Ryazan, there are those who question whether this might be the time to strike at the Timurids - long an enemy in official rhetoric, though so far never on the field of battle - and teach them a lesson while they are distracted. But the late Kniaz, Ivan, preached caution and focus, saying that while we may well be able to win, their land is not of any real interest to us, and it would be a tragedy to defeat a rhetorical foil, only for our real enemy to deal us a much more serious defeat in our own weakened state a few years later. Instead, he says let them destabilize eastern Asia, let us defeat the Turks once more, and the next moment of opportunity will be our time to strike. With his legacy, it seems only likely that his sage advice will be followed.

Spoiler Eulogy for Ivan V, 1657 - 1725 :

Ryazan, January 3, 1726

It's time for a tribute to Ivan V, Kniaz of Ryazan, King of Hungary, and Prince of Moldavia. He led us for over 53 years, and has a real claim to being one of our greatest leaders ever.

Way back in 1671, when his brief regency began, the world was different. It is true, Anna I - another claimant to the greatest ruler of Ryazan - had reformed our economy and technology in the first half of that century, and we were no longer so backwards as we once were. But we were still, for all intents and purposes, a backwater country. We had never come out of a peace treaty with any gains against our great for, the Ottomans, and simply not keeling over altogether was often a difficult task.

Ivan V changed all that. It was not overnight, but through a long, strategic process that paid off only with time, and gradually. He took the economic overhauls of Anna, and applied them not towards trying to win one big war, as his predecessors had, but in a systemic overhaul of the military system over the first decade of his rule. And what a change it was. It was hard to notice at first, but the ranks of the Ryazanian military would, over his five decades of rule, swell. One an antiquated, inefficient feudal system of mustering troops, by 1700 we could sustain real armies of modern size, for the several years needed for a real conflict with the Ottomans.

It was not just that. He reinforced the auld alliance with the Commonwealth, but also expanded our alliance system brilliantly. Royal marriages with Hungary and Moldavia paid off handsomely, and an alliance with Bosnia - little Bosnia, the naysayers said - proved most valuable in hemming in the Ottomans. When a minor victory was finally achieved, after the great war of 1683, he declined the larger territorial gains that had long been sought, and allowed the Ottomans to keep their magnetic allies - and thorn in our side - Gazikumukh, forcing them to forsake their Moroccan alliance instead, a move that would prove most useful in the next war. And in the north, he would both help the Swedes gain their independence, ending the great Danish threat that had distracted us from the Ottomans, and, when the Swedes continually dragged us into poorly planned wars, eventually terminating that unhelpful alliance. So far, this has worked quite well for ensuring a peaceful northern border, allowing us to finally focus our efforts where they really count.

The coup de grace, which will earn him our gratitude forever, was our first great victory over the Ottomans, concluded in 1717. With the Ottomans weakened diplomatically, and Ivan's great alliance against them entirely coordinated, their 200,000-strong army suddenly looked like a paper tiger. That eternal pain Gazikumukh would be knocked out in no time flat, and then Ivan himself would lead our glorious armies into Armenia, taking the Ottoman forts there before the main Ottoman armies even had time to arrive, pulling off a feat that no previous alliance of ours could manage. By the end of the war, all of Mesopotamia, as well as Ottoman Europe and most of Asia Minor, would be occupied, and along with a hefty payment of gold, Ryazan would gain a healthy chunk of land, and its first Black Sea port.

A few years later, now in his 60s but still with a keen sense for battlefield command, Ivan would once more lead us to a glorious victory over Gazikumukh - the Ottomans, for the first time, too staggered to help their old friends - and leave them in obscurity, never to pose a significant threat to us again. Combined with a defeat of Perm, our back side is now fairly secure.

Ivan would remind us that, while defeated once, the Ottomans remain a serious threat, and he made clear plans to fortify the Caucuses for that reason. And he is wise to keep us focused on that. But after centuries of struggles, against Muscovy, Nogai, Denmark, and most of all the Ottomans, he has given us both a taste of great victory, and a hope that it may be our time in the sun. And for that, we will be eternally grateful.

---------------

Update, 1732: Ivan V was right to not count the Ottomans out! We're at war with them, and after a few battles, they have 376,000 men in the field, roughly 2.5 times our total! In all, their alliance started with more than half a million men! Clearly they took the lesson of the last war to heart - even with the head start my alliance gained while the Ottomans were distracted by colonialism, this is going to be a real contest!

Last edited: Jul 16, 2019
  9. haroon

haroon Chieftain

City elf is classically epic, a noble stole your bride during your wedding day, and you about going rampage on his mansion. The satisfaction in the end is replayable to a lot number of time

10. Lohrenswald

Lohrenswald 老仁森林

make bad games

yung.carl.jung likes this.
  11. Dachs

Dachs Hero of the Soviet Union

Or you could be the stolen bride...and go on a blood-soaked rampage in the mansion. I like that one a bit better.

City elf Origin is my favorite. Mage is worth just to be stupidly OP. (Also: Fem mage who romances Leliana gives you a delightful easter egg in Inquisition war table banter.) Dwarf commoner is aight although I could never make a dwarf face worth a damn without mods. Dalish elf is not my jam but some people are into it.
    Mages are OP in Origins and have a ridiculous number of possible combos for massive AoE damage. Multi-mage parties are a fantastic idea.

The reason not to bring Morrigan along is because of the "Morrigan disapproves -2" meme.

Ajidica and haroon like this.
  12. PhroX

PhroX Chieftain

City elf female is indeed the best origin story. The male version is decent, but the roaring rampage of revenge feels much better as a lady.

Dwarf Noble is my second favourite purely as an origin, and it ties into one of the major plot points of the game. Unfortunately, once you get to that point, outside of a few flavour dialogues, the game rather glosses over the fact that you, as a dwarf noble, are central to that plot point (this is true to some extent of all the origins, but the DN feels the most egregious to me given how significant you were supposed to be).

I always seem to end up benching Morrigan. She's not bad by any means - she's the weakest of the mage options, but that's still ridiculously OP, and there is indeed no problem bringing 2 mages. Or 3 - but compared to most of the other characters, I just don't find her that interesting. I mean, why bring her when I could bring Shale? Or Alastair? Or Sten? Or Wynne? Or <redacted>? Or Zev? Or Barkspawn?

13. haroon

haroon Chieftain

the two handed in DAO is Nauseating, it is slow, low def and boring, if someone wield their sword like that in the battle field, they will get butchered by the army of fork weilder, even spoon. so Sten is not cool. Morrigan is a massive damage dealer, especially early game, she can use prison crushed (??) or dealing with crowd she may use thunder. Aliaster is a nice sword and shield type of tank. But if I have to choose I'll choose the old Wynne over Morrigan, she's the heart in the battlefield

14. PhroX

PhroX Chieftain

It's not about how effective they are, it's about their character. On anything shy of the hardest difficulty, there's no need to even get close to optimising your party to get through the game, so I just bring the most interesting companions. And I find Morrigan's character boring, so I don't tend to bring her along. Although if I do, I insist on bringing Sten along too, due to the way he reacts to her BS....

15. haroon

haroon Chieftain

Phrox, you should symphtize on her, she's a victim of flemmeth abusive parenting, and how Morrigan got brainwashed by Flemmeth to despised any affection and impulse to nurture and get nurtured as a weakness.

If you think about it, she's a kind like child abuse's victim, her dismissive attitude and tough like behaviour is just a way to protect herself from getting harm and attached from her surrounding. In the end she's even fear her own feeling toward my badass (but kind and helpful of course) city elf character, so she running away from it.

Poor Morrigan

16. Akka

Akka Moody old mage.

I can understand this reasoning (though I mark her more as "annoying" than "boring"), but then the conclusion of bringing Wynne instead leave me scratching my head. I mean, Wynne is probably the most boring character in the whole of DAO (nice, but very bland).

17. cardgame

cardgame Sensual Kitten

The Luftwaffe is absolutely insane in HOI4. I turned America commie and joined the International, called to war in the winter of '40-'41 and the Axis are flying thousands of planes over each front (I made a small landing with 44 divisions in Brittany). I've got maybe 300 of my own fighters on each front... I've set a full 35 factories dedicated to fightercraft but it looks like it will still take years just to catch up.

haroon likes this.
  18. PhroX

PhroX Chieftain

It's kinda funny, as when I first played the game, I would've agreed, but nowadays I think she's actually one of the most interesting characters in the game. She's got a lot of backstory in there, both the stuff that comes up in dialgoues and her personal quest (which is one of my favourite of all the companion ones story wise) and her interactions with most of the rest of the cast are great. Bring her along with characters like Shale, Alastair and Zev. Sure, she's a nice old lady, but she's a nice old lady who's lived quite a life. And these days, I find that kind of character a lot more interesting than the more typical RPG companion fair that fills up most of the rest of the roster.

Overall, I really have changed my opinions of the DA:O characters over the course of my...8-10 probably...playthroughs. My first run, I'd put Leliana, Morrigan and Oghren top. These days, I consider the latter two the worst, and even Leliana is well below my current top three of Shale, Wynne and Alastair. Oh, and Barkspawn who is, of course, the best companion.

As for sympathising with Morrigan. Sure, she's had it rough. Doesn't mean I have to find her story interesting or her presence desirable.

19. Lexicus

Lexicus Warlord

I think that's just the AI. As Germany it took a couple of years to whittle down the 11,000 or so Soviet planes they kept putting in whatever air zone they thought was most important.

20. haroon

haroon Chieftain

If Morrigan is boring, what can we say about Leliana?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.