What Video Games Have You Been Playing #12: Rage Quit - ain't my thing

Status
Not open for further replies.
In Minecraft, I have the Animania mod. I got a rooster and a hen and put down a nest and some water and seeds. I came back up from the basement and found my backyard overrun with chickens.

Whoops.

Spoiler :

I've been trying to play Hoi4 as Communist China again and just been really disappointed with how the game seems to work, but I don't think I can change it without modding the game myself to hardcode the AI to do certain things, which will require a lot of work to figure out what I'm doing.

Basic problem with the game is that the USSR is incapable of defending against Germany and the US does nothing, so the Axis basically just win the war every time. Doesn't seem to matter what behaviors I set in the Custom Game Rules. I don't want to strengthen any of the AIs either because that screws the game balance up badly.

I've been trying to play Hoi4 as Communist China again and just been really disappointed with how the game seems to work, but I don't think I can change it without modding the game myself to hardcode the AI to do certain things, which will require a lot of work to figure out what I'm doing.

Basic problem with the game is that the USSR is incapable of defending against Germany and the US does nothing, so the Axis basically just win the war every time. Doesn't seem to matter what behaviors I set in the Custom Game Rules. I don't want to strengthen any of the AIs either because that screws the game balance up badly.

The only time the Axis don't steamroll everything in my games is during the times when I'm just coasting for an early-game achievement. When I'm actually playing with the intent to see it through to the end, it's always Axis #1. :(

When I was doing a Belgium run to get their factories achievement, Germany went through civil war and the democratic side won. They allied with Poland and together conquered the USSR. :lol:

I've seen the USSR be destroyed by fascist Sweden and Finland (admittedly fighting Germany at the same time, but the minor nation always gets hella territory and Sweden captured Moscow once).

And to add insult to injury the Germans always just win by pushing the line forward with infantry until they're in the Urals, it's totally ridiculous. I think after several games in a row where the USSR got roflstomped I said forget this and strengthened them by 50% and in that game, they managed to start pushing the Germans back, and eventually the Allies crushed Germany....then USSR proceeds to get roflstomped by the Western Allies.

I don't really begrudge it in that game tho because there was a badass 3-way war between the West, Comintern and Axis.

I finished my pantry. I even gave it a guard. :)

Spoiler :

The wooden floor is fireproof too! I figured out how to do that.

Decided to try XCOM2 again on Easy after it totally bent me over and gave me a good thrashing last time I tried it. I'm definitely getting a better sense of how concealment is used and the greater enemy HP can be handled. (Though the new psychic sectoids are still in the "Bring it down!" category!) I'm also loving the deeper character customization options although I know as soon as I customize a character it will die or become so gravely wounded they'll spend the rest of the game in sickbay.

Decided to try XCOM2 again on Easy after it totally bent me over and gave me a good thrashing last time I tried it. I'm definitely getting a better sense of how concealment is used and the greater enemy HP can be handled. (Though the new psychic sectoids are still in the "Bring it down!" category!) I'm also loving the deeper character customization options although I know as soon as I customize a character it will die or become so gravely wounded they'll spend the rest of the game in sickbay.

Customized corpses are a feature!

Besides Rise of civilizations apknite. I play Dota 2. Sometimes I rage quit because I know there is no hope in my stupid ignorant team, they just keep trash talking.

I was thinking about having another go at XCOM 2 myself. I'd love to find a mod that breaks down War of the Chosen into components you can pick and choose from. I hate the boss-fights and the zombies, I was really disappointed the game introduced them, but some of the other changes were nice. If I do start a new game, I'll either play vanilla or try The Long War (link goes to Rock, Paper, Shotgun review), which looks kind of daunting.

I take back everything bad I said about HOI4. I'm playing a goddamn epic game as Communist China now. Everything somehow just came together this time.

So I did the normal early game, saved up political power to justify a wargoal on Shanxi immediately, then Xibei San Ma, and then Sinkiang like usual. Finished taking them all over in mid-37. USSR actually sent volunteers to me instead of Sinkiang like they normally do (odd). Anyway, Japan attacks about a month or two later, by then I've redeployed my forces to our border and continue to slowly build up, not joining the war but joining the Chinese United Front so I can keep training new divisions without taking casualties, but also so that Nationalist China doesn't park 2/3 of its divisions on our common border, allowing the Japanese to overrun them in a matter of weeks (this happened a lot in my early games as Communist China so I usually set the Japanese AI to attack the Soviets instead - made for a rather boring game).

Anyway, the Japanese are held just north of Beijing for close to a year, but eventually the inevitable coastal landings further south force the Nationalists to divert troops away and the Japanese take Beijing and begin pushing south. I sense the time is ripe and join the war, launching a strong attack against Menguoko, which succeeds beyond expectations! I seize some highly productive land (relative to what I've got, anyway) from Menguoko, the smaller Japanese mainland puppet state.

The Japanese move forces back north to stop me- stalemate. While I'm waiting for my equipment situation to stabilize, so I can resume my push, the Japanese resume pushing into central China: they have managed to unite their beahcheads and hold quite a large stretch of the Chinese coast at this point. As they move further inland their forces get thin in the north again, so I attack and gobble up more land, bagging Menguoko's capitulation in the process. Japanese move more troops north again to stop my advance. I sit in place to let my equipment production catch up again.

So far so good. But I'm getting a little worried. The Japanese have moved even further inland in the south, they've nearly reached my border with the Nationalists! I am able to take over the leadership of the Chinese United Front from the rump Nationalist state. Fortunately, my infantry equipment production is now churning out about 250 submachine guns a day, enough for me to train 24 10-width infantry divisions at once. These men will be put to good use shoring up the Nationalist line and preventing the Japanese from completely overrunning them before the time is right.

Then, suddenly, in mid-1941 the situation changes completely. The Japanese declare war on the Philippines. Now, this had happened before, and the US didn't really do anything, so I'm not too interested initially - but then I realize the US have actually made a landing in the Home Islands. This is a huge development. Japan begins frantically withdrawing forces from China and I go over to an all-out attack, and the Nationalists begin pushing as well. I eventually swallow up all of Manchuoko and gobble up the Korean peninsula as well, while US forces move to occupy nearly all of Japan - I get the popup informing me that Tokyo has fallen. Not long after that the Japanese capitulate and we enter a peace treaty negotiation.

I'm wary of this, because in the past I had been totally screwed by the peace process. One previous game I played saw nearly all my territorial gains in northeast China nullified by Allied puppet states! Very annoying stuff. But this time I have quite a lot of warscore thanks to my operations in the north, and I'm able to secure almost all my territorial gains: only having to give Dalian (Port Arthur area) to the Nationalists. No matter, the Nationalists have no idea that their days are now numbered...and the number is not large. Japan becomes a Democratic puppet of the United States, ejected from all its mainland possessions as well as - I think - Taiwan.

By this point I am fielding 312 10-width infantry divisions, all of them manning the border with the Nationalists. I look up their Details and see they have a pathetic 42 divisions. Even assuming each of theirs is worth 5 of mine (generous assumption) I have a massive advantage. As leader of the Chinese United Front I kick the southern warlords, Guanxi Clique (spelling?) and Yunaan out of our faction. The Nationalist army redeploys to their southern border, leaving our border completely open.

I've done some infiltrating of Nationalist provinces: enough to seize control of Hebei and Henan when I trigger the Communist uprising. While I'm waiting for the uprising to finally trigger the Nationalists raid my "base area" in Hebei and prevent me from taking it over when the uprising pops. No matter: we'll just have to seize the territory the old-fashioned way.

Exhibiting the great discipline for which I'm so famous, I save the game and go to bed with 4 days left until the uprising pops (which will give me control of the province of Henan and more importantly immediately declare war on the Nationalists without any diplomatic actions).

[Top 10 greatest Anime Betrayals of all time]

I was thinking about having another go at XCOM 2 myself. I'd love to find a mod that breaks down War of the Chosen into components you can pick and choose from. I hate the boss-fights and the zombies, I was really disappointed the game introduced them, but some of the other changes were nice. If I do start a new game, I'll either play vanilla or try The Long War (link goes to Rock, Paper, Shotgun review), which looks kind of daunting.

Long war was pretty bad. Pointless dilution of the core game with new, lukewarm mechanics.

USSR AI is trash. Grade A flaming dumpster fire inexcusable garbage.

In a game as Republican Spain, I was beating the Axis so badly that Germany waited to initiate Barbarossa until 1945. USSR declared on Afghanistan, Turkey, Iran, and Iraq. They formed their own little faction together, and when Germany finally did declare on USSR in '45, Turkey + Iran already had troops pushed to Crimea. Pathetic. I obviously just overran the Axis myself, but USSR might as well have not been there.

If you want to stop Axis, you have to do it yourself. That is doable though:

Spoiler :

Since I killed Japan in 1940, USA will never join. So what you see was done w/o USA ever joining WW2.

~~~

As Communist China, your best bet is to join Comintern but never join or call them into any wars. By doing this you will force Japan + Chinese minors bordering members of Comintern to put troops on their borders in addition to your own, giving you fewer troops to fight without having to rely on the USSR's idiocy for anything important.

You can unify China very fast if you dump Mao using the weird internal struggle mechanics, but even if you don't (say you want Mao's achievement) your aiming point is to conquer Shanxi, Xibei, and Sinkiang before Sino-Japanese war, which is consistently possible with good micro.

It's been a while since I did that achievement run but IIRC I had China + Japan conquered in '42 without using the internal struggle stuff, took a while to NAV bomb Japan's navy out of the way to invade them.

I ran into a glitch with the Quark mod that resulted in dozens of frogs spawning in a cave:

Spoiler :

So I decided to test out the nice explosive arrows one of my mods added. I ended up blowing myself up. That wasn't smart.

Glorious People's Republic of China soon to join the global crusade against fascism:
upload_2019-9-10_23-12-24.png

The Americans are still neutral in 1948?

No attempted landings from Britain?

The Americans are still neutral in 1948?

No attempted landings from Britain?

Nah, the Americans haven't been neutral since 1941. They just can't do anything, Someone has been trying landings in Europe almost continuously for like 5 years but they aren't successful. The Germans greatly outweigh the Allied industrial capacity and number of divisions, even when I'm added to the scales. If we're reduced to a stalemate though the Germans have about 9 million manpower while I have nearly 30 million (and can increase that number quite a bit if I adopt harsher conscription law). And I can always accelerate my atomic reactors in the build queues and start churning out nukes if all else fails. A few years ago someone dropped an atom bomb on Lebanon, and it was entirely controlled by Vichy France at the time, so I assume that one of the Allies has nuclear weapons, no indication that Germany does.

I anticipate that when I join the war the Allies are going to inundate me with requests to give military access, which I'll grant. Hopefully with that the Germans will be too overextended to defend all their territory. I've taken Iran and Iraq with the view toward using those countries as a springboard from which to stab into European Russia and perhaps even roll up the Levant and North Africa but the Germans and their puppets (Vichy France above all) have parked a lot of divisions in that area. Further east, though, on the eastern side of the Caspian and moving all the way up to the Manchurian-Siberian border they have skeleton forces against my massed infantry. And mine are 20-width infantry divisions now with support companies and everything, so it's not like a human wave attack of a bunch of dudes armed with rifles the way it was when I was fighting the Japanese. I also have a decent-sized mechanized force, around 40 motorized divisions with 8 40-width armored divisions: the problem is that the immediate battlefield is going to be dominated by mountains, desert, and dense forest so it may be some time before I can use the mechanized forces properly.

I ran into a glitch with the Quark mod that resulted in dozens of frogs spawning in a cave:

Spoiler :

So I decided to test out the nice explosive arrows one of my mods added. I ended up blowing myself up. That wasn't smart.

On the upside, in lieu of using keepInventory on, I use this mod. It adds some other cool stuff besides the graves.

I'm redoing my basement. I'm replacing all the ore chests with Storage Drawers. And I replaced the trapdoor/ladder with proper stairs. It's a mess right now so I didn't take a screenshot.

I like mods.

Last edited:
I tried Bowser Jr's Story, which was a free add-on that came with my copy of Mario and Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story and I can't really get into it. The game play seems pretty intriguing as you build formations of troops to send at the enemy except that they don't explain the basic controls at all. I think I mash A at the appropriate time to make my units charge but I'm not sure. And then when the game does try and explain the more advanced concepts, they do it through terrible, childish and annoying dialogue between stupid characters that I don't want to read. And the story itself makes even less sense than the base game which is quite a feat when I think about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom