What Video Games Have You Been Playing? IX: Now With 4K VR!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting!

Oh my! I think the PSVR is 1k or thereabouts. 2x4k would be omg. That's one thing I like about VR, it has kinda reset the tech race so to speak.
Leaving aside the Vive pro which is kind of 1,5 gen, the second generation is almost here. In high end VR we will have the Pimax 5k and 8k, the apparently amazing ACER's StarVR (it will be amazingly expensive too), maybe the LG Ultragear, etc.
In standalone headsets we will have the Oculus Santa Cruz, Vive Focus, Lenovo Mirage...

So a good bunch of new headsets. All pretty expensive and with higher but still somewhat low screen resolutions. It seems the second generation is more about increasing FOV than increasing resolution. I bet that will happen in the third gen 3-4 years in the future, when hardware will be up to the task and eye tracking pricing will be more into a consumer-friendly range.

@Farm Boy and @Synsensa:

I slightly misremembered the ideal unit comp for 40-width armored divisions. The companies are listed in order of importance, i.e. ENGs are more important to have than MAINTs.
  • 10 medium armor battalions (MARM), not just 5. (Not sure what I was thinking last night.) These are the core of your armored divisions, providing hardness, breakthrough, and speed. You should start with light armor (LARM) here, and shift over to MARM around 1939/40 as you research the right techs and move your production over. If you know what you're doing and abuse certain mechanics, you can get 1943-era tanks in 1939 as some countries. (Nazi Germany beginning the blitzkrieg with Panthers instead of PzKpfw. IIs is...kinda broken, and happens a lot in high-level MP games.)
  • 4 motorized rifle battalions (MOT). These should provide enough organization for your division to work, while being fast enough to avoid lowering divisional speed too much. After 1942, mechanized infantry (MECH) becomes viable, but it will take you some time to get your production lines up to speed on those. You can slowly phase in the MECHs as they become available, replacing one battalion in the template at a time for all armored divisions or creating a new template and only converting armored divisions over to it one at a time. Whichever works. The advantage of MECHs over MOTs is that they add a lot of hardness, improving your ability to go toe-to-toe with enemy armor in the late game.
  • 4 self-propelled artillery battalions (SPART). SPART provides you with a ton of soft attack and breakthrough, while not losing much in terms of speed. I recommend starting with LSPART, converted from your early-game light armor (LARM) units, but you can phase in MSPART conversions of your obsolete MARM units as you develop 1943-era MARM and, later, modern armor (MOD).
  • Engineer company (ENG), for speed and entrenchment. ENGs are basically required because of their value on offense and defense. Only countries with very weak industrial bases should avoid producing them.
  • Logistical company (LOG), which reduces supply consumption. If you're going to be breaking through enemy lines, or if you're going to fight in Eastern Europe, Asia, and Africa, you're gonna do a lot of fighting in low-supply regions. LOGs are crucial for that. I'd recommend adding them to as many divisions as you can, not just the 40-width behemoths.
  • Signals company (SIG), which improves reinforcement rate. These are more important for your infantry units on the defensive than your 40-width armor, because ideally your armor will win a breakthrough battle without needing to reinforce. However, if your armor is on the defensive (defending the outer ring of a pocket, for example) or if there aren't any easy spots to break through, reinforce rate can come in handy.
  • Reconnaissance company (RECON), which can affect the tactics employed by your generals. The research on this one is a little bit all over the place. The tactics that your generals employ depend on a lot of factors, and the availability of recon is only one of those. Some people swear by RECONs, and others say they're a waste of factories. YMMV.
  • Maintenance company (MAINT), which can reduce equipment loss. You will probably do a lot of fighting in low-supply areas, especially if you are conducting breakthroughs or fighting in Asia. MAINTs can save you a lot of factory production on armor. However, if you're not planning to try microing your factory production lines too carefully, MAINTs are probably a waste better spent on a different company.
  • Hospital company (HOSP), which returns casualties to units and reduces manpower loss. These are more important for infantry than for armor (for infantry divisions, I'd say that they're almost required), but if you're not gonna do excessive industrial micro, HOSP is probably more valuable than MAINT.
Again, this is in a vacuum, and you'll want to be assiduous about using obsolete and captured equipment and about adjusting unit composition to account for what the enemy does. However, this composition works well for all four major doctrines.

Since you'll probably start these divisions out with LARMs instead of MARMs, you can slowly phase in the MARM battalion by battalion (or division by division), keeping an eye on your extant stockpiles. LARMs can then be converted to LSPARTs or shifted over to 10-width exploitation divisions as necessary.

If you are worried about air superiority, you can replace MARM or SPART with self-propelled antiaircraft artillery (SPAA). SPAA still grants some hardness, but not as much as actual armor. As with SPARTs, you can convert obsolete LARM and MARM chassis to LSPAA and MSPAA to save on raw materials.

I'm generally suspicious of building tank destroyer (TD) variants of your armored forces. They do give a lot of hardness, but the AI is usually too stupid to build armor on its own and enemy players usually don't try a head-on armor vs. armor clash. If you notice large amounts of enemy armor, I might suggest adding towed AT to your infantry divisions rather than changing the composition of your armored units. Alternatively, you can create units of MOT+TD divisions designed specifically to hold the flanks of a breakthrough against enemy armor, switching over from MOT to MECH as your production shifts. However, the best antidote for an enemy armored offensive is simply air superiority. By the same token, even with your 40-width behemoths, you will still want to saturate the airspace around a breakthrough with fighters and commit hundreds of close air support (CAS) and/or tactical bombers (TAC) to pounding the enemy down. One of the best things about Hearts of Iron IV is that it emulates an absolute truth about the Second World War: you absolutely need air superiority for a successful offensive.

Hope that helps!

I have some questions.

First of all, I don't understand anything about combat width. I think you mentioned a battalion-width conversion factor in your last post but I can't remember. How does width actually work on the map though? Does each little unit of territory (forget what they are called, provinces? the ones that make up States) have a set width?

Second of all, how does one determine where one's captured equipment etc goes? Is there a screen I'm missing other than Logistics, Production, Recruit+Deploy which enables finer control of what equipment goes to what units?

Third of all, how do I change one division into another kind of division (assuming this is possible)? As Germany I start with a bunch of these useless Leichte divisions and I wanted to just make them all into normal Panzer divisions.

Fourth, why is mechanized infantry only viable starting in 1942? I researched the halftrack tech in 1939 as the Germans and started filling out my armored divisions with mechanized infantry instead of motorized, and also created a Panzergrenadier division with 12 mechanized infantry battalions. I'm also using motorized divisions comprised entirely of motorized infantry with self-propelled artillery in support, with the intention of phasing them out and replacing with the Panzergrenadier format.

I'm generally suspicious of building tank destroyer (TD) variants of your armored forces. They do give a lot of hardness, but the AI is usually too stupid to build armor on its own and enemy players usually don't try a head-on armor vs. armor clash.

This is helpful, thanks. I just researched Jagdpanthers but I guess I won't actually use them.

One of the best things about Hearts of Iron IV is that it emulates an absolute truth about the Second World War: you absolutely need air superiority for a successful offensive.

Can confirm - I saved before beginning my western campaign as the Germans, and had to reload that save because I forgot to focus my air power on Benelux and Northern France rather than the North Sea and north/west Germany. Without any air cover my units couldn't even beat the Low Countries' units, but things went a lot better when I had air superiority.

Last edited:
This is ridiculous. Argentina's congress is to debate a bill to regulate eSports which somehow leaves out shooting, combat or ‘violence’ but includes real time strategy (it excludes MOBAs which are totally different from RTS for some reason).

Obviously the bill is drafted by people who think Bejewelled is a complicated game.

Hearts of Iron is one of those things for me that I enjoy the heck out of reading about it, occassionally watching somebody stream it, but I've no inclination to actually install it again. I do remember loving the the balance between "uh, more tanks and stuff would be best...wait, I don't have time for that, what can I build that gives power fast? Oh yeah, small arms. But what do I do when I run out of guys?"

Spoiler :

That is some crazy materiel micromanagement. I thought Victoria was something, but that's something else entirely.

I dont like the later stages of hoi4 when there are 50,000 divisions and three gazillons of planes. It is very unrealistic and pretty inefficient for the CPU. AI is not very brilliant either.

First of all, I don't understand anything about combat width. I think you mentioned a battalion-width conversion factor in your last post but I can't remember. How does width actually work on the map though? Does each little unit of territory (forget what they are called, provinces? the ones that make up States) have a set width?
Width doesn't have anything to do with the campaign map. You can occupy each individual tile with 2-battalion divisions and it counts as having troops there just as much as having a 40-w monster division there.

Width is all about the combat system. When two forces engage in combat, they initially have only 80 width to deploy their forces. Thus, it's best to have armies comprised of divisions that are evenly divisible into 80. If you have three 30-w divisions, only two of them will deploy initially because all three of them would be 90 width.

Now, width comes from the number of battalions in the division. Larger divisions - with better stats - have larger width. Thus, if you've got two 30-w divisions fighting against two 40-w divisions, the 30-w ones will intrinsically be weaker because they're smaller.

40-w divisions are the largest size that can be divided evenly into 80 width, thus they are the most efficient means of massing combat power in the initial phases of a battle. Two 40-w divisions contain the same amount of combat power as four 20-w divisions, but due to the targeting mechanics in HoI4's combat system, the four 20-w divisions will all be shooting at randomly chosen things, which may result in a dispersion of combat power. The two 40-w divisions will be guaranteed to be shooting at only two different targets maximum, meaning that they are slightly more efficient when using their combat power offensively.

Defensively, 20-w divisions are fine, because you're not trying to concentrate your firepower and break through immediately, you're just trying to outlast the enemy and make sure that you cover all of the provinces you need to cover when defending. 10-w divisions are also fine, depending on context. Really, the 40-w thing is only useful in an offensive context when you are trying to win the initial fight as rapidly as possible by massing the absolute maximum amount of combat power possible under the 80-w initial engagement system.

Larger divisions also consume more supply, which is calculated based on the number of total battalions in a given region and those battalions' supply requirements for the mission they're currently executing.
Second of all, how does one determine where one's captured equipment etc goes? Is there a screen I'm missing other than Logistics, Production, Recruit+Deploy which enables finer control of what equipment goes to what units?
Take a look at the logistics tab. As you know, it shows all of your equipment divided up by type, along with how much of a surplus or shortfall there is compared to the amount of equipment that your currently-deployed divisions require. Mousing over individual categories (like Medium Tanks, for example), will show more of a breakdown by type; you can tell which pieces are captured based on their names (i.e. if you're playing Germans you can assume that all the Char B1s under the heavy tank tab are captured).

The game automatically tries to update your divisions with the most recent available equipment. You can see the equipment used by each division individually by selecting the division. This also works for air wings - you can see which are using, say, Bf 109Es, which are using Fw 190As, and which are using captured MS.406s.

You can also kludge your way into a list of all of your equipment by going to the diplomacy tab and offering a Lend-Lease agreement to somebody. This will allow you to page through all of your equipment by type and number.

EDIT: Some of this may not work if you don't have all of the expansions. If you don't have everything up to WTT, I'm not sure how equipment management differs. Sorry!
Third of all, how do I change one division into another kind of division (assuming this is possible)? As Germany I start with a bunch of these useless Leichte divisions and I wanted to just make them all into normal Panzer divisions.
Select 1 or more divisions. There should be an icon with arrows on it that allows you to change the template of that division. The game will show you the change in equipment use from one division to the other and will let you know if you don't have enough equipment to make the change. (You can still make it, but all of the equipment that you don't have won't be there until you accumulate enough of it to reinforce the division - with an associated reduction in combat power for the division.) It will take some time to reinforce the division with the new equipment, and it will lose some experience levels based on how big of a change it will be.
Fourth, why is mechanized infantry only viable starting in 1942? I researched the halftrack tech in 1939 as the Germans and started filling out my armored divisions with mechanized infantry instead of motorized, and also created a Panzergrenadier division with 12 mechanized infantry battalions. I'm also using motorized divisions comprised entirely of motorized infantry with self-propelled artillery in support, with the intention of phasing them out and replacing with the Panzergrenadier format.
It's not "only" viable starting in 1942, but that's the point at which you're most likely to be able to make the change for most countries based on opportunity cost. Many players wait until MECH II because they don't have space for an additional production line that early and because MECH I, while a hardness upgrade over MOT, is a more significant speed reduction than just going to MECH II. But you certainly don't have to wait for MECH II if you don't want.

MOT and MECH units to hold flanks can work quite nicely. In KR games as Russia, for example, I often invest heavily in 20-w full-MOT divisions for encirclement purposes, taking the place of the LARM units that vanilla HoI4 players often use, because of the difficulty of researching LARM techs thoroughly in time for the Real War, whatever that happens to be. They work nicely at holding flanks and breakthrough corridors, as well. Full-MECH divisions are good ideas if you're facing enemy armored attacks on the flanks of your breakthroughs, but are otherwise probably unnecessary compared to MOT. You can use them to push if you like, but if you've got your 40-w armored divisions rolling, extra pushing power is probably unnecessary.
This is helpful, thanks. I just researched Jagdpanthers but I guess I won't actually use them.
The secret to comedy is timing.
Can confirm - I saved before beginning my western campaign as the Germans, and had to reload that save because I forgot to focus my air power on Benelux and Northern France rather than the North Sea and north/west Germany. Without any air cover my units couldn't even beat the Low Countries' units, but things went a lot better when I had air superiority.
Yeah, it can get pretty embarrassing if you don't set up your air wings properly.

Last edited:
What are the specifics of how battalion configurations translate into width?
Each battalion has a width number; you can see it in the stats page when you're choosing battalions in the division designer. If I remember correctly, the numbers are a bit like this:

Combat width 0 - all support companies (max 5 per division)
Combat width 1 - AT, AA, SPAA
Combat width 2 - INF, MECH, MOT, ARM, TD, and special forces
Combat width 3 - ART, SPART

Division width just comes from adding all the widths of all battalions in the division.

In addition, the Mass Assault doctrine has a combat width reduction for INF, allowing you to pack more INF battalions (and thus better stats) into a unit with the same combat width. This does not reduce supply requirements, however.

Jesus Christ. I'm scared even thinking about Paradox games after reading those posts.

I have about 4000 hours combined in EU4, CK2, Vic2 and Stellaris, but even I am scared of the micro of HOI...

I've recently started a new game called Oxygen Not Included.

It's fantastic. Think Terraria (but the environment is deadly, not monsters) + The Sims.

I don't tend to like sport games, but there is some fun role-playing an ascending star with the career mode.

I'm the same way with NCAA Football 14 (the last one released before the series was discontinued due to legal issues) with my coach. Starting out as the head coach of the worst team in the game and slowly working your way up to coaching one of the elite programs is fun.

Jesus Christ. I'm scared even thinking about Paradox games after reading those posts.
I don't play HoI at all, but try out CK2 and Stellaris. The water's lovely. :borg:

I've recently started a new game called Oxygen Not Included.

It's fantastic. Think Terraria (but the environment is deadly, not monsters) + The Sims.

Haven't tried that one. Have definitely fantastically failed at obeying the title of Don't Starve.

Each battalion has a width number; you can see it in the stats page when you're choosing battalions in the division designer. If I remember correctly, the numbers are a bit like this:

Combat width 0 - all support companies (max 5 per division)
Combat width 1 - AT, AA, SPAA
Combat width 2 - INF, MECH, MOT, ARM, TD, and special forces
Combat width 3 - ART, SPART

Division width just comes from adding all the widths of all battalions in the division.

In addition, the Mass Assault doctrine has a combat width reduction for INF, allowing you to pack more INF battalions (and thus better stats) into a unit with the same combat width. This does not reduce supply requirements, however.

I restarted my game to make 40-width divisions and things are going fairly well. I have way fewer divisions than last time but that's to be expected given that each division is almost twice as strong as the divisions I made in in my last game. But it was really fun sending volunteers down to fight in Spain, winning the war for the Nationalists with a strike north of Madrid that ultimately led to the city's encirclement by Nationalist forces.

The only problem is I haven't gotten it together in time to invade Poland in September 1939. IIRC it's November already and I haven't even started the Danzig or war national focus. Do you have any advice in terms of the calculus of when to declare war? It seems to be best to do it as soon as possible but I really don't like starting campaigns with seriously under-strength units, and I need time to fill out my medium armor and self-propelled artillery requirements because it's not easy to research those techs as quickly as I'd like to.

On XCOM 2:

I started on Veteran difficulty, and got whomped. Switched to Rookie, but it's too easy. I need something in-between.

Which facilities to build first is a conundrum. I went with Resistance Comms first, then Guerilla Tactics School, then Advanced Warfare Center. The AWC should maybe be first, though. That extra ability it grants new Squaddies isn't merely a new option you can select, it's a whole free ability (albeit a random one) in addition to the soldier's regular class ability selection. A sniper with Shadowstep? Yes, please. And I still don't have a Psi Lab. Argh.

Making custom soldiers is cool, but kind of a pain.

Oh, and those f'ing Mutons. Those guys get all the grenades. Die, Muton, die.

On XCOM 2:

I started on Veteran difficulty, and got whomped. Switched to Rookie, but it's too easy. I need something in-between.

Which facilities to build first is a conundrum. I went with Resistance Comms first, then Guerilla Tactics School, then Advanced Warfare Center. The AWC should maybe be first, though. That extra ability it grants new Squaddies isn't merely a new option you can select, it's a whole free ability (albeit a random one) in addition to the soldier's regular class ability selection. A sniper with Shadowstep? Yes, please. And I still don't have a Psi Lab. Argh.

Making custom soldiers is cool, but kind of a pain.

Playing without WotC ?
Probably a good idea if you don't already have a lot of ecperience with XCOM2, but the expansion makes the game much better.
The AWC is a nice bonus, but not something I would prioritize because the extra skill is random. I usually built the Guerilla Tactics School to train my rookies to the classes I actually need and unlock the squad size upgrades asap.
Then I'd build the Proving Ground to get special ammo and grenades, or Resistane Comms if I don't have at least two Elerium Cores.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom