1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

What Video Games Have You Been Playing? IX: Now With 4K VR!

Discussion in 'Picture Threads Archive' started by Synsensa, Sep 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Robo-Star

Robo-Star Chieftain

Badlur's Gate is longer and more rambling.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2018
  2. Arakhor

Arakhor Dremora Courtier Moderator

But it's also an amazing story within a game.

3. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Another drone in the hive mind

Which makes linearity more than acceptable. There is a large segment of gamers, dazzled by BethSoft among others, who chant "open-world" like a mantra and use "linear" like an epithet. But there are definitely games that are totally linear, and have to be because they are telling a specific story. It works fine if the story is good enough and the gaming along the way is fun...and the player isn't one of those dazzled people.

My one experience with Tell Tale Games was that the gaming along the way just wasn't good enough. Mostly "click repeatedly until you find the right random spot on the screen, and if you don't find it fast enough try again." But there are plenty of games that require thinking through challenging puzzles to progress along the linear story that I have enjoyed immensely.

yung.carl.jung likes this.
  4. Robo-Star

Robo-Star Chieftain

5. cardgame

cardgame Sensual Kitten

ah, Kongregate. That site is responsible for my username :D

6. Synsensa

Synsensa Sweet Pea Retired Moderator

Chrome/Google is doing its level best at killing the site, though. The latest Chrome update has made it so that you have to manually approve Flash every single time you visit, and the Unity Web Player still barely works (if at all).

7. Akka

Akka Moody old mage.

I've finally discovered (and dared to jump in) Dark Souls. And was mostly motivated due to my favourite youtuber-singer (Miracle of Sound) making several great songs about the serie and managing to make me want to feel the experience he described.

And wow, holy cow.
    The game is hard (not a surprise), and yes a part of the difficulty is somewhat cheap (the respawn of lots of mob after each death, when you're trying to learn how to fight a boss, is certainly somewhat aggravating ; everything kills you in one or two hits) but for the most part it still "hard but fair". And honestly, half the difficulty comes from having to use a pad instead of a mouse. Save for that last point, gameplay is nice, the mechanics are pretty interesting and the balance is really well thought-out.

And above all, the ambiance, the atmosphere, is just exceptionnal. I've just been sucked in, and it's been a long time since I've had a game just fill my thoughts like that. It's a mix of the artistic direction (superb and very dark), the way the game keeps itself immersive by not allowing the mechanics to become too obvious, the eery background world which leave most of itself up to the imagination (a deliberate decision, and it certainly works) or the lack of hand-holding that feels refreshing and means I never know what to expect, and I've made a dive into it and for now I'm enjoying the ride immensely.

Funnily, I'm actually raging less than in most games, because the game is so famous for being hard, and dieing is so common, that I've learned to accept it from the start. I think that this difficulty (and the fact that everything stays somewhat dangerous to the end) helps a lot in both giving the story weight (instead of the supposedly "impossible task" that you faceroll) and to participate to this ambiance of decaying glory - it's a bit like fighting entropy, in more way than one.

And I'm very, very impressed by the game world design, which uses a legendary decaying city and its surroundings and manage to use the scenery to make interesting levels while integrating them fully in the existing architecture (which is something that increases a lot my immersion in any game). And the way the whole game world is connected is fascinating - the uncompromising design means that a very large amount of the game is open from the beginning, just impossibly hard to overcome if you aren't yet up to task, but you can go if you dare. Lots of areas connect in lots of way, the shortcuts don't feel artificial, and you can see the different areas from vantage points - the game loves its sceneries and is freaking huge, with very varied zones, each with its very own personality (and all sinister in their own way).

So yeah, Dark Souls is really grabbing me by the guts so far, though I expect I'm going to have some hard time later and ragequit at some points. And it's managing to do that with a nearly non-existent story, which still somehow has a lot of weight. I guess the guy was on-point with his "only draw the outline of the world, let people fill it in with their imagination", but he managed to succeed in this making the world feel bigger instead of confusing. It's feels like playing a myth or a legend.
    But these artistic and design directions are really something.

Farm Boy and Snerk like this.
  8. cardgame

cardgame Sensual Kitten

wait, you're playing dark souls with a trackpad?

what a masochist

I myself have put a toe back into the Sunless Sea, what a cool world.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2018
  9. Senethro

Senethro Overlord

Remember that there is no wrong way to Dark Souls. Some elitists and PvPers will whine about skill or honour but however good you are, there is someone out there who played by teaching a rabbit to jump about on a dance pad or something. So just try out everything that feels right to you.

Also, I've managed to lose 240,000 souls in a single death. Keep your losses in perspective.

10. civvver

civvver Warlord

Has anyone played steamworld dig? I got it for free from twitch prime (amazon prime membership). It was cool to fire up for an hour but seems tedious. Just keep digging deeper and deeper? Although the upgrades and jumping remind me of mega man x, so that part is good. Maybe cooler enemies/levels come later?

11. Mouthwash

Mouthwash Escaped Lunatic

I've been playing Frostpunk. It's a really good city-building game (with the aim of surviving an apocalyptic winter, rather than attracting tourists). But there are things that disappointed me. For one, it's over too early - I thought I would have a chance to explore more and build my own new order, but no, it just fades to credits after a certain point

Spoiler Spoiler for the game :
    when you survive the endgame storm with temperatures below a hundred Celsius
    and lists your accomplishments and atrocities. Pretty unsatisfying.

Another thing I don't like is the lack of customization. You can choose either order or religion as your value, but once you've selected one all you get is a law tree with predetermined laws to unlock over the course of the game. The game weighs your 'morality' by whether or not you unlock the highest-tier laws, which isn't exactly fun. There's little real ability to shape your society (for instance, I wanted to create a 'Fury Road' society with slaves and bloodsport, but just making work shifts longer and opening wrestling areas don't cut it) and doing so forces you to play suboptimally - which is really ill-advised in this game. I mean there is stuff like child labor and 24-hour shifts, but even in an emergency it's almost always better to build other buildings, not push your citizens harder. The random events don't help either.

Finally, there's only one preset opposition faction which isn't very interesting and isn't connected to your decisions as all. You can build a police state to your heart's content, it'll do nothing except lower your 'discontent' score (which is already low if you're any good) and maybe remove members from the opposition. This game is crying out for factions!

I guess I'm sounding a little frustrated. I actually liked this game a lot. Building your economy is fun; the visuals, music, sound effects are fantastic and really make you feel like you're scraping out a city in a hellish snowstorm. But the roleplay elements are absent (despite how it presents itself) and the game is too linear. If you don't care about that and just want to build a city you'll probably love it.

yung.carl.jung likes this.
  12. Synsensa

Synsensa Sweet Pea Retired Moderator

Sounds like Banished, in terms of linearity.

13. Farm Boy

Farm Boy The trees are actually quite lovely.

I bought a used Logitech dual stick controller specifically for it. It was a good $10. Game was clearly designed for that interface, though I then had to get a xbox(I think!) controller emulator and set it up(which was annoying). I think I was halfway through before I felt truly comfortable in the controls of the thing, and then lamented that it wasn't 4x longer.

Glad you found and are enjoying that one! Probably my favorite game of the last 15 years, if I had to pick one. Aside from "bad guys are immune to clipping, kinda" I loved just how literally your character interfaces with the world. Swing a sword sideways? There's a wall in the way? Yeah, it's going to stuff your swing like a 5th grader's jump shot. There's a cliff there? And you rolled off of it? Yeah, there's no invisible wall, Geronimo! Oh yeah, and the entire world was designed so you can see just about anything from anywhere, it all connects, and there's no vodoo magic scaling. It was just designed that well from the get-go.

14. Akka

Akka Moody old mage.

:lol:
    No, never, are you mad ? :D
    I bought a PS4 some time ago to play Horizon : Zero Dawn with, so I'm somewhat on the lookout for really great games that will make the purchase less exclusive.
    The songs I spoke about made met think of trying Dark Souls, and hearing how terrible the PC version of the game was, I simply got it on the console. So I'm talking of a JOYPAD, not a TRACKPAD ^^
    And the interface is clearly designed for it, but it's still not comparable to a real mouse-aiming.
    Yeah, that's one thing I like about it. It keeps possibilities open, and it's hard enough you don't feel bad to cheese (though by now I feel rather comfortable and have only died twice during the entire Painted World, but I expect to smash my head against another wall soon).
    I never let my souls reach these kind of amount :D
    Even if I have to walk back, when I start to get too many of them, I level up.
    Just get an official regular PS4 controller and plug it in your PC.
    And the game is plenty long as it is (I like long games, and yet I'm actually daunted by how huge it is, though it's also because it's not a sandbox world so I didn't expect it to be something like 50-60 hours long), and there is still the 2 and 3 waiting after that, so length is not the issue :D
    You managed to express precisely one of the major point I love about it but couldn't correctly communicate. The way you feel you're part of the world and that there is very few "game mechanisms" to kick the immersion out, be it invisible walls or anti-cheese systems or stupid scaling or whatever. It's just working without dragging your attention on it, and it feels incredibly fresh because of it.
    Even the resurrection system is integrated in the background and the endless repetition feels part of the atmosphere and the actual story (instead of being a player mechanism).

15. Sommerswerd

Sommerswerd I never yielded

I enjoy FrostPunk as well. You're right that it does have a linear quality to it, but there are enough choices in terms of build order, scout order, tech choices, etc to give a lot of replay value. I also enjoy the higher difficulty level for the greater challenge. I'm playing the second scenario now (The Arks) and looking forward to the other two. They've just added a new scenario which appears to be a continuation of the first (main) one... so I'm intrigued by that.

16. EgonSpengler

EgonSpengler Warlord

I liked the relatively narrow scope of Frostpunk. I wish more games would do more with less. I haven't played "The Fall of Winterhome" yet.

17. Farm Boy

Yup. You're "stuck" in the death cycle. And you kinda get the feeling that the only way you lose is to put the controller down and your character sits there forever in game world, spark slowly cooling. Even the "unfair" stuff often has a very literal marker or tell that you can look at and see what's going to happen. Like scuffs on the floor or whatnot. It warned you, you just didn't know what you were looking at.

I even sort of grew to like the enemies respawning. There's a feel to holding enough souls to level up, once leveling up is no longer easy, and being too far from a bonfire to go back and having no idea where the next one is and having to explore forward. You know you're going to lose the damn things, you just don't want to... yet. And that gets worse and worse the longer you manage to not die. There might be a truth to that... if I think too much about it.

18. Snerk

Snerk Smeghead

I liked Demon's Souls a lot, I mostly enjoyed the cruelty of the game. However at some point my PS3 died and my DS save died with it and I never managed to motivate myself to restart it. Perhaps I should give Dark Souls a go but I'm not sure if I've got the patience for those games anymore.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2018
  19. Farm Boy

I'd say "give it a go" but I never managed to pick up 2 or 3 myself. :lol:

From what I understand the resting/healing estus flask mechanic is better than the herbs, and the game itself is slightly easier.

20. aimeeandbeatles

aimeeandbeatles watermelon

It's a little annoying when games don't have a windowed mode. The choices are either to let it run in fullscreen mode (with all of the problems of aspect ratios and alt+tabbing), or hope that something like DxWnd can hook into it and not cause issues.

Lexicus likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.