1. Firaxis celebrates the "Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month", and offers a give-away of a Civ6 anthology copy (5 in total)! For all the details, please check the thread here. .
    Dismiss Notice

What Video Games Have You Been Playing VI: Because There Are No Elections In Video Games

Discussion in 'Picture Threads Archive' started by Ajidica, Nov 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arakhor

Arakhor Dremora Courtier Super Moderator

I used to play text adventure games a lot at school.

2. Arent11

Arent11 King

Same here. I actually reverted from Civilization 6 to Skyrim. Don't know why, it's just a "better feeling", more "RPGish character".

3. Akka

Akka Moody old mage.

Going to proselytize a bit here : if you want gorgeous sceneries and RPG feeling, TW3 is much better than Skyrim at both.

4. Chukchi Husky

Chukchi Husky Lone Wolf

I tried to play the first Witcher game but found it too hard.

5. civvver

civvver Deity

The first witcher game isn't that good, gameplay is really clunky.

6. Akka

Akka Moody old mage.

Neither TW or TW2 were sandbox games with gorgeous sceneries. I didn't use TW3 for nothing ^^

7. Arent11

Arent11 King

You can't customize your main character. I know, I know, many people have already tried to win me over to Witcher ;)

8. Akka

Akka Moody old mage.

But the advantage is that you actually HAVE a character to make a game around and choice to do. Skyrim's protagonist is so faceless and has so little decisions to take that I find it a much poorer roleplaying experience.

9. Broken_Erika

Broken_Erika Nothing

Skyrim has the RaceMenu mod that allows you to customise your characters height and body part proportions, i used it to make a 3 foot 5 inch tall chibi elf. She looked like a candy-anime style 4 year old and i scaled the weapons so they were proper sizes. A dagger looked like a broadsword in her hands, but most of the time i ran around with a warhammer that was 1.5 times her height.

cardgame and Traitorfish like this.
  10. Arent11

Arent11 King

True, you can custom tailor a story to a fixed character & so build a more intricate story. It depends a little whether you want to slip into the role of someone else, which can be fun of course, or whether you want to create your alter ego & "build" your own story.

In general I think a fixed character works best if you want to tell a great story. If you have a strategy game or open world, it might be better to customize your faction/civilization/character, because that type of games is essentially about "building"/creating something yourself.

11. REDY

REDY Duty Caller

Still better than fighting sirenas in Skellgrade. Gameplay was never strongest element in witcher.

12. Yeekim

Yeekim Moderator Moderator

Believe it or not, I cleared every question mark in the game. Including Skellige.
    Yeah. I'm not sure why either.

13. Akka

Akka Moody old mage.

I did it too, and it was because OCD. Clearly.
    Though it allowed me to enjoy the most beautiful sceneries ever. It also allowed me to notice that Skellige music is pretty short, so by the end it had become REALLY, REALLY repetitive.
    And swimming in the deep ocean, with only blackness below and sun-lighted water with my boat above, was a strangely unsettling and immersive (yeah, pun) experience.

14. Martin Alvito

Martin Alvito Real men play SMAC

Well, I have beaten every single Infocom game (yes including Quarterstaff, still have the box/disks/feelies), and it's probably been fifteen years since I spun one up, so that's not a good sign. I did beat Pool of Radiance again within the last year, and enjoyed that tremendously.

The last two games I've put serious time into were the new Deus Ex (Mankind Divided) and Mirror's Edge Catalyst. Flawed games both, but both awesome if you could appreciate them for what they are. DX:MD is a really solid adventure title disguised as a shooter (with the stealth elements making the package work), and the Mirror's Edge reboot is an excellent racing game disguised as an FPS/adventure hybrid.

15. Arent11

Arent11 King

I also think that "real men play SMAC" but I have to say that after the literally 10000th+ game even SMAC looses a certain appeal :p

16. GoodSarmatian

GoodSarmatian Jokerfied Western Male

Not to mention that, like most older strategy games, it has a really crappy UI that no game could get away with today and the graphics are ugly.
    Master of Orion 2 is perhaps the only nineties 4X game that has aged well in both regards.

17. Arakhor

The non-enhanced versions of Baldur's Gate and Planescape: Torment have held up relatively well in my opinion, but I'd agree with MoO II. :)

18. Synobun

Synobun Deity

Birth of the Federation aged well graphically, although not functionally. A bit of a nightmare to get working on modern PCs and even at its best it seems to operate on a rickety foundation. :(

19. Akka

Akka Moody old mage.

Well, TONS of game have aged well, but he did speak about 4X ^^
    I'd say Civilization I is still surprisingly acceptable when it comes to graphics (probably because graphics were pretty irrelevant and stylized even back in 1991).

20. Arakhor

I'll pretend I realised that earlier. :shifty:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.