What Videogames are you playing? ΙΔ - Meet your doom

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have I ever mentioned that I'm good at breaking games?

I'm in a rough transition...this should maybe be a rant. Anyway...

While you all know me for...well, whatever it is I'm known for around here...on another game forum I am one of the serious people. Like some people are known to pretty much everyone on this forum as an elite modder, and other people are known on the Civ IV (or whatever and maybe more than one) subforum as writers of well respected guides or as the 'go to guy' when people have serious strategy questions. I'm the latter for X3, at least one major aspect of it. And I have been for a long time.

X games are notorious for their vertically steep and apparently endless learning curves and I know I have to just keep plugging away, but I am really having a hard time accepting being a total X4 noob that can't even fly a ship.

X games are notorious for their vertically steep and apparently endless learning curves and I know I have to just keep plugging away, but I am really having a hard time accepting being a total X4 noob that can't even fly a ship.

LOL. Sounds like my initial experience with some of the later Total War entries. I'm a god in Medieval 2 but I can't even win a battle while outnumbered in Shogun 2.

My birthday party didn't quite go as expected.

I'm giving up on Fallout, not entirely by choice though. I do not get enough enjoyment relative to the amount of time I spend on it and I no longer have unlimited time to play it. I probably spend 10% of my time playing running from one side of the map to another, then doing it again on the next screen over. Another huge chunk of time is spent reloading when I accidentally drop something from my inventory and it disappears, or mis-clicking on a dialogue choice. The UI is convoluted and difficult and the dialogue choices are extremely unforgiving. The unforgiving dialogue is actually kind of thrilling but the way you select specific lines is not clean and I frequently hit a dialogue choice that I wasn't intending too.

I also got to Necropolis and found all the ghoul inhabitants had been murdered, cutting me off of a significant chunk of quests. I didn't even know they existed before I visited Necropolis. Seriously frustrating. I really thought about restarting my whole game to make less mistakes but then I realized how much time I had sunk into the game with little to show for it (only got to level 7 wtf) and now I'm done.

The game also has a ton of bugs and crashes to desktop regularly. I reckon a lot of the crashing is due it running on Win10 but there are enough bugs in how the quests trigger (or don't) that I can tell it's just not that well programed or unit-tested.
Don't let your bad experience with Fallout taint your view of 2d isometric RPGs. As I mentioned, all of the Spiderweb Software games have large demos, with Avernum: Escape from the Pit and its sequel, Avernum 2: Crystal Souls, being two of my favorite RPGs of all time. I seriously rank them up there with Witcher 3 in amount of enjoyment I got out of them.

LOL. Sounds like my initial experience with some of the later Total War entries. I'm a god in Medieval 2 but I can't even win a battle while outnumbered in Shogun 2.
I agree. All of my battles in Attila or Total Warhammer devolve into Pyrrhic victories, even though I'm not as godlike at Medieval 2 as Lexicus - I like to bring significant infantry stacks to quickly storm castles and cities.
Like, I can handle myself pretty well in XCOM, at least early on, but XCOM2 sees my feeble attempts on the 2nd mission and proceeds to bend me over and spank me. Repeatedly.

Lexicus is RUNNING from the BATTLEFIELD! A SHAMEFUL DISPLAY!

Yari Wall is your best friend. It gets ridiculous when you have a whole line like this, especially with the Oda Clan. The DLC Oda Long Yari Ashigaru make this even more brutal since their very long spears mean you can have one line of Yari Ashigaru two men deep in front with another line of Long Yari right behind them for a total of four ranks of spears hitting the enemy at once. Oda gets the best Yari Ashigaru, and if you focus on armor upgrades they'll resist arrows pretty well. Get another city specializing in Crafts to focus on training Bow Ashigaru, research lots of military arts, and focus your generals on skills pertaining to infantry combat, and the war for Japan becomes a one-sided slaughter.

This is kinda cheesing it, but M2TW cavalry are definitely cheesing it :p

Oh my .... My work friend is all about Shogun 2 Total War these days ! I myself have dabbled in the Total War series but I'm not sure. Oh I don't know ! I am a CIV guy ! I enjoy strategy much more than combat and tactics but I respect people who do dabble in tactical ! =)

This is kinda cheesing it, but M2TW cavalry are definitely cheesing it :p
No, horse archers in Rome1 are the definition of cheesing it. At least Medieval2 took away their 'Long Range Missiles' attribute!

I mean I find Attila pretty easy too and regularly get pretty lopsided victories...it's Shogun 2 I haven't been able to get the hang of.

Yari Wall is your best friend. It gets ridiculous when you have a whole line like this, especially with the Oda Clan. The DLC Oda Long Yari Ashigaru make this even more brutal since their very long spears mean you can have one line of Yari Ashigaru two men deep in front with another line of Long Yari right behind them for a total of four ranks of spears hitting the enemy at once. Oda gets the best Yari Ashigaru, and if you focus on armor upgrades they'll resist arrows pretty well. Get another city specializing in Crafts to focus on training Bow Ashigaru, research lots of military arts, and focus your generals on skills pertaining to infantry combat, and the war for Japan becomes a one-sided slaughter.

I'm only interested in playing the guys who start with T and have strong cavalry. My infantry units usually rout before my cavalry units can flank the enemy, even when I keep them in my general's command radius.

I mean, the way morale works in that game even when I pull off crazy flanking maneuvers all my troops just rout.

No, horse archers in Rome1 are the definition of cheesing it. At least Medieval2 took away their 'Long Range Missiles' attribute!
Never played Rome 1, but when one unit of heavy cavalry can break ten units of infantry, something is off!

I mean I find Attila pretty easy too and regularly get pretty lopsided victories...it's Shogun 2 I haven't been able to get the hang of.

I'm only interested in playing the guys who start with T and have strong cavalry. My infantry units usually rout before my cavalry units can flank the enemy, even when I keep them in my general's command radius. Infantry-centric tactics don't appeal to me much at all.
That's the problem - cavalry aren't really special in S2. Certainly not the wrecking balls they were in M2.

The Takeda cavalry are somewhat better, but horse archers can't shoot in any direction but forwards, and the default unit of the game has long spears and can form a spear wall, so a cavalry-heavy army is going to have a rough time of it.

Keeping infantry units in a line, shoulder-to-shoulder helps with morale a lot. So does winning. I don't know what difficulty you play on, but my yari walls never had trouble.

I'm only interested in playing the guys who start with T and have strong cavalry. My infantry units usually rout before my cavalry units can flank the enemy, even when I keep them in my general's command radius.

One game I can wholeheartedly recommend is Napoleonics ! ;) That board game we played with my friend , one time I was able to win (when I took out his English hard hitters a.k.a 3 hex range rifles ! xD) but anyway this game is where it's at !! :smug:

Never played Rome 1, but when one unit of heavy cavalry can break ten units of infantry, something is off!

That's the problem - cavalry aren't really special in S2. Certainly not the wrecking balls they were in M2.

The Takeda cavalry are somewhat better, but horse archers can't shoot in any direction but forwards, and the default unit of the game has long spears and can form a spear wall, so a cavalry-heavy army is going to have a rough time of it.

Keeping infantry units in a line, shoulder-to-shoulder helps with morale a lot. So does winning. I don't know what difficulty you play on, but my yari walls never had trouble.

Pretty sure I was playing Hard difficulty. Forget if battles have a separate difficulty.

Yeah, in Rome 1 a unit of horse archers can break ten units of infantry without ever getting anywhere near them.

Okay, maybe not literally ten, but only because they don't have enough ammo.

In Rome 1 you can set a separate difficulty for battles.

Also, horse archers (the basic wimpy kind): their arrows are weak (7 dmg in vanilla) so any infantry with a decent shield should be safe… of course, the AI is capable of sending undefended warbands/hillmen across sandy terrain to be surrounded by a swarm of horse archers.
I'm giving up on Fallout, not entirely by choice though. I do not get enough enjoyment relative to the amount of time I spend on it and I no longer have unlimited time to play it. I probably spend 10% of my time playing running from one side of the map to another, then doing it again on the next screen over. Another huge chunk of time is spent reloading when I accidentally drop something from my inventory and it disappears, or mis-clicking on a dialogue choice. The UI is convoluted and difficult and the dialogue choices are extremely unforgiving. The unforgiving dialogue is actually kind of thrilling but the way you select specific lines is not clean and I frequently hit a dialogue choice that I wasn't intending too.

I also got to Necropolis and found all the ghoul inhabitants had been murdered, cutting me off of a significant chunk of quests. I didn't even know they existed before I visited Necropolis. Seriously frustrating. I really thought about restarting my whole game to make less mistakes but then I realized how much time I had sunk into the game with little to show for it (only got to level 7 wtf) and now I'm done.

The game also has a ton of bugs and crashes to desktop regularly. I reckon a lot of the crashing is due it running on Win10 but there are enough bugs in how the quests trigger (or don't) that I can tell it's just not that well programed or unit-tested.
I'm sorry to hear this. Yes, it does appear as if you'd been traipsing around the overworld map without getting anywhere in time. Running all over the map was one of the negatives the first time I played, but, as Ajidica says, I'm used to clunky controls and I take it as part of the game already.

The crashing to desktop rarely happened to me so that one's on your end, though. Perhaps there's a compatibility issue.

I should have been clear, I spend 10% of my time running around in-town maps. I was not counting time spent in the overworld as part of that. The maps are very large and you characters are walking pathfinding bugs and it takes forever to get anywhere within the larger towns.

Even still, yeah, I wasted a ton of time in the overworld as well without getting anything done. The game is painfully obtuse about guiding you to quests and in particular the water chip quest is difficult to get into. The walkthroughs I've found don't even cover how to get the chip after the ghouls get slaughtered and it's sad that I have to resort to walkthroughs just to find out how to progress in the central quest of the first half of the game.

Please DO ! I have named my character Johnny on most occasions for no apparent reason. Just Johnny . I think that name sounds cool .

hey thanks i'm johnny

my first important character I named Caymen because I like gators and he was kind of a space gator shaman goat. anyway, she ended up being trans and changed her name to shayla, which was then in a shizophrenic episode changed again to skay. pronounced like the sky, not like you would in english with "ay". once I managed the trial and ascended to godhood I obviously had to rename her and that's how I finally arrived at skaybestrog.

I usually like to pick real names though, ones that I associate a character with. a lot of my guys are Larry. I think Larry is a great name. can't really think of too many specific characters, I never got too invested in giving them personal lore or anything, I was satisfied with them having a personality.

for pokemon I usually make puns, but I haven't rly played in years.

I am putting screenshots into the right folders.

My Civilization 3 palace is beautiful architecture.

For some reason all my cavalry tried to disembark from the ship in the middle of the ocean

What a magnificent steed!

I should have been clear, I spend 10% of my time running around in-town maps. I was not counting time spent in the overworld as part of that. The maps are very large and you characters are walking pathfinding bugs and it takes forever to get anywhere within the larger towns.

Even still, yeah, I wasted a ton of time in the overworld as well without getting anything done. The game is painfully obtuse about guiding you to quests and in particular the water chip quest is difficult to get into. The walkthroughs I've found don't even cover how to get the chip after the ghouls get slaughtered and it's sad that I have to resort to walkthroughs just to find out how to progress in the central quest of the first half of the game.
Hey, I'm not a character, but… whatever floats your boats. The point of playing is to do something enjoyable and clearly Fallout is not for you.

"You face enemies who have never known defeat, who laugh in alien tongues at your efforts to survive. This is suicide."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom