What Videogames are you playing? ΙΔ - Meet your doom

Status
Not open for further replies.
For me personally, binge gaming was always the symptom of problems (depression, in my case) and not the cause of them. I would like to say I've outgrown destructive binge gaming but I haven't had a protracted depressed spell in a few years (thankfully) so I can't be sure.
I used to game a lot out of depressed escapism but now I am too depressed to play games regularly.

Funny game mechanics :D
Was flying around with SR-71 on flight simulator (FS2004 - good enough for my old, rusty laptop). After doing some leg (of potential around the Globe flight... maybe) with realistic "parameters" (can't add fuel in air, have to keep cruise speed inside 3200-3500 km/h area and plan ahead route... its range is supposed to be somewhere around 5'000 km mark... so something like 90 min cruise speed +landing/take-off time) so can land and refuel on specific runaway where (imaginery) truck with fuel would wait me. So far no issues.
After that I did try some "fool around" flight to see what plane (in game terms) actually can do. Did reach 49XX km/h flying at very high altitude. But funny part was that fuel usage somehow dropped so much that could do near 10'000 km with same amount of fuel as before.

Funny game mechanics :D
Was flying around with SR-71 on flight simulator (FS2004 - good enough for my old, rusty laptop). After doing some leg (of potential around the Globe flight... maybe) with realistic "parameters" (can't add fuel in air, have to keep cruise speed inside 3200-3500 km/h area and plan ahead route... its range is supposed to be somewhere around 5'000 km mark... so something like 90 min cruise speed +landing/take-off time) so can land and refuel on specific runaway where (imaginery) truck with fuel would wait me. So far no issues.
After that I did try some "fool around" flight to see what plane (in game terms) actually can do. Did reach 49XX km/h flying at very high altitude. But funny part was that fuel usage somehow dropped so much that could do near 10'000 km with same amount of fuel as before.
The engines on the SR-71 converted from turbojet to ramjet operational modes as it transitioned above Mach 2. The ramjet-side of the engine was more efficient in fuel consumption inside of its narrower operational window. The higher speed also allows for higher altitudes which meant lower drag as well.

I do not know off the top of my head if 10,000 km was a typical range or not but I do know it burned a lot less fuel once it got to the target altitude and speed. Also, in-air refueling was standard for that jet. The skin of the aircraft was loose-fitting and the fuel tanks leaked like a seive until they got hot and merged together at Mach 3. Because of this, it took off with partially empty tanks, topped off in the air and then went on. It would also perform multiple in-air refueling events at various legs of the journey as needed.

I'm not sure if I can keep playing XCOM. Apparently I've already sunk 14 18 hours into it, Steam is reporting both numbers :eek: but the last 2 were pretty torturous, trying to fight a large, landed UFO and 34 aliens with my tiny squad of 6. Save scummed my ass off, because necessity demanded it.
Man, I remember playing Dune II and UFO: Enemy Unknown on Windows 3.11 and sometimes on black-and-white monitors. There I already learned that savescumming is a sin only if you lose.

MSGO is now six years old and not getting any younger. Now you're better off using the STEP guide instead.
Yeah, but MSGO is an all-in-one package. No messing around with individual files and load orders. One install and bang - ready to go; a big selling point for me who seems to have angered the Gods of Load Order in a previous life.

:mischief:

I'm playing the Oregon Trail Deluxe. I just shot 7,000 pounds of food. I was only able to carry 200 back.

The engines on the SR-71 converted from turbojet to ramjet operational modes as it transitioned above Mach 2. The ramjet-side of the engine was more efficient in fuel consumption inside of its narrower operational window. The higher speed also allows for higher altitudes which meant lower drag as well.

I do not know off the top of my head if 10,000 km was a typical range or not but I do know it burned a lot less fuel once it got to the target altitude and speed. Also, in-air refueling was standard for that jet. The skin of the aircraft was loose-fitting and the fuel tanks leaked like a seive until they got hot and merged together at Mach 3. Because of this, it took off with partially empty tanks, topped off in the air and then went on. It would also perform multiple in-air refueling events at various legs of the journey as needed.

Oh, man, your day in the desert has GOT to include a visit to the air park!

I keep trying to get into Wizardy 8 and Realms of Arkania but they're a bit too complex for me to delve into.

With a full time career I need something more...accessible. But not lacking in depth; just something I can jump into.

So that lead me to Staxel. It's fun so far.

Sorry @Takhisis, but there isn't a problem with my machine; the controls of Fallout 1 are terribad. They are really dumb and confusing and without the instruction manual, it was difficult to figure out. I gave the game another go last night and was mostly able to figure things out but it's still horrible. I also have no idea what to do and am sort of floundering with it. I walk around in the overworld and find nothing to do. I walked to a decrepit vault but other than a mole rat and some regular rats, it was completely empty.

Same problem. Less the maintaining RLstuff, my wife wouldn't tolerate that, but it's led to a lot of late nights. Then I'm walking around like a zombie the next day. It's just so hard to say "yep, here's a good spot to save and quit." There's always stuff to do.

If I were single and alone I'd probably just eat sleep work and game...

Pretty much what I did in my single years. (Well, plus some of "work out", "read" and "watch movies".)

I do get in an adequate amount of gaming time still, despite being married and having four kids and a full-time job; my wife works on a variable schedule with both day, evening and night shifts so in a typical week I have several hours of time to myself when the kids are asleep and she is either at work or taking some needed sleep after having worked a long shift.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom