1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

What Videogames are you playing? ΙΔ - Meet your doom

Discussion in 'Serial Thread Archives' started by Takhisis, Nov 14, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EgonSpengler

EgonSpengler Deity

Well, I got through that part quickly enough, except for the fights with the bosses; Piety, Doedre, Maligaro, Shavronne, and Malachai. I think this character isn't good at the bosses, which means this character isn't good. Anyway, I'm into Act 5, so I can slow down and enjoy life a little.

Now I've finished Act 4, I'm playing around with Barrage Support, Greater Volley, and Greater Multiple Projectiles. They all kind of do the same thing, though, and none of them really help with bosses. I'm wondering about Impale vs tough single targets.

2. Farm Boy

Farm Boy You gave me my own tail?

That's really hot.

tjs282 likes this.
  3. Broken_Erika

Broken_Erika Nothing

4. mendyXC

mendyXC Chieftain

Been playing cat ninja. quite impossible to complete all levels :cry:

5. aimeeandbeatles

aimeeandbeatles watermelon

Uh, looks fun.

6. Kjara

Kjara Warlord

Its been a while since I ran a bow character but you probably want to consider a second 4 link for killing bosses (and possibly yellows). Depending on how you are building, this could range from one of the two fire bow skills or elemental hit (if you are focusing on elemental boosting gear/nodes), to frenzy or impale (if impale, could also consider looking into the new skill that causes them to take full bleeding damage even when not moving) or even some sort of ranged totem (not sure if the damage ones or the ones that use whatever ranged skill you link to it are better this league, but either should help in longer fights).

The main thing to keep in mind though is that with any of those multi target supports (volley, etc) you are paying a damage penalty from the gem itself (often something on the order of a .7 multiplier for the "greater" versions) and a second damage penalty from not using that spot for a support gem that increases damage (and you can usually expect at least a 1.3x multiplier out of each gem). Thus, even if you just ran a 2nd iceshot with 3 damage increasing support gems, this would almost double your single target damage. Eventually if you get the point of having a 6-link main skill, this is often no longer be true (esp if your next best option is a 4 link -- 1.3^3 ~= 1.3^4 *.7), but at this point in the game if you are struggling with bosses it cam make a great deal of sense. Only real downside is needing to maintain two 4 links as you upgrade your gear (generally recommended to use gloves/boots/hat for this while leveling since those pieces don't tend to need to be upgraded nearly as often).

But yeah, this is a league that rewards the ability to kill bosses (given the league mechanic), so you probably want to work on that issue. That said, they also made bosses quite a bit tougher (I've heard numbers of something like 4x hp -- though not sure how that scales across the entire story so some of the pain you are feeling is probably due to that).

EgonSpengler and Birdjaguar like this.
  7. aimeeandbeatles

In the Sims 2, I was having trouble with a specific lot crashing. So after a lot of troubleshooting, I managed to trace the problem down to a certain piece of custom content.

Somehow, a sofa was causing access violation errors. WTF? I swear this is one of the touchiest games I've ever played.

8. Senethro

Senethro Overlord

Into the Breach is free on the Epic Game store. A very good strategy game by the FTL guys.

hobbsyoyo likes this.
  9. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

Amazon Prime is giving away games if you link your prime account to twitch. Also DLC for borderlands 3 and other games.

10. Birdjaguar

Birdjaguar Hanafubuki Retired Moderator Supporter

My progress has been hamstrung by the Win 7 memory leak issue in the 3.9 d patch. I get to play about 20 minutes before the game crashes. Terrible.

I'm into part 2 and just arrived in Sarn this evening before I crashed tonight. I am not a fan of leveling so all this is painful.

I'm running a juggernaut using Frost bolts as my primary killer and cleave as secondary. So far metamorph bosses haven't been a problem and I like the league focus. I was lucky to get a decent 5 link armor and much better than average foil and Ax for pretty high dps. I maintain 6 endurance charges most of the time and three frenzy quite a lot. I'm having fun. Herald of Purity and Hatred have been instrumental in my success. I just added CWDT-Imortal Call-Blood Rage- Assassin's Mark which as usual is both cool and needed.

EgonSpengler likes this.
  11. PhroX

PhroX Emperor

Volley and GMP are indeed very similar, and only really work for map clear as they spread the projectiles out but Barrage is a good single target support as it fires the projectiles sequentially at a single target (or at least I assume it does, the old Barrage attack did, and I'm under the impression that the support is supposed to work the same way even though I haven't tried it yet). But yeah, as Kjara said, you generally want separate clearing and bossing skill setups, at least while leveling, on bows. As it seems you're going for the elemental route, I wouldn't recommend Impale - that's aimed at pure physical scaling builds. To keep things simple, I'd probably go with just running two Ice Shots for now - one with GMP, maybe Fork or Pierce plus 1-4 damage support and the other with Barrage and 2-4 damage supports. One of the advantages of using bows is that you get 2 5-6 link items, so it's not as much of a problem running two skill setups. That said, unless you're going the Chaos DoT route, bow characters tend to be very dependent on gear - get a good bow, and you're amazing, don't and you're not - so there's likely going to be some issues in general.

And with that, I suppose I give my Metamorph update. Went with the ED/Contagion Trickster, and it's been pretty smooth so far. I'm currently trying to unlock the fourth conqueror (the Snake Guy) before making the step up to Yellow maps, and even with my crappy SSF gear, I've not had trouble dealing with any enemies - the clear speed is fantastic and while bossing isn't super fast, once I've dropped ED, Bane and a couple of Wither Totems on the boss, I can basically run around for 4-5 seconds avoiding their attacks before I need to use any more skills, so it's pretty safe. Not that I haven't died a few times, but I've not met anything I feel I can't do yet. Gear wise, I got a 5 link chest halfway through Act 8, which I got a decent roll from the life essence I used on it on it (life, res, evasion), so didn't bother farming a Tabula for once. Other than that, it's just random junk rares as you would expect from having to rely on drops. I have had 6 Doomfletches drop though, so maybe the game is telling me to play an archer next....

Birdjaguar and EgonSpengler like this.
  12. Manfred Belheim

Manfred Belheim Moaner Lisa

Or maybe they just thought the "point" was stupid.

13. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Deity

I always thought the entire concept of a glass sword was stupid, not merely the point.

14. aimeeandbeatles

In the Elder Scrolls, glass weapons and armour are actually made from malachite.

15. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Deity

Dwemer metal for the win!

16. Arakhor

Arakhor Dremora Courtier Moderator

I used to assume that it was some sort of green obsidian, but same difference, really.

17. EgonSpengler

EgonSpengler Deity

Yes, that's what Barrage Support does. I was actually thinking about using it as a single-target attack, but I have to figure out how best to support it.

On another forum, someone suggested Cold Penetration Support with Ice Shot for Boss fights. I think Hypothermia and Ice Bite are probably less useful for Bosses, anyway, so a second whole setup probably isn't unreasonable. I've been using Artillery Ballista and Animate Weapon literally because I had some extra gem slots open and figured why not. I think I may even have one of them on a four-slot item and I'm not even using all four slots. I'm going to try Burning Arrow-Barrage-Added Fire Damage-Fire Penetration for single targets. I think I might have put some Passive Skill Points into Cold Damage, but I think a lot of my Passive Points have been Elemental Damage and Ailments.

18. PhroX

PhroX Emperor

Penetration is a good damage boosting mechanic in general. Off the top of my head, for a 4-link, which is what you should probably be looking to have given where you are, I'd probably go with Ice Shot - Barrage/GMP - Elemental Damage with Attacks - Cold Pen, unless you're going Raider for your Ascendancy, in which case the flat damage Ice Bite gives from your Frenzy Charges probably pushes it above one of the other supports there.

One other thing that comes to mind that I dunno if you know about is the recipe for a +damage magic weapon: a weapon, a blacksmith's whetstone and a magic or rare Rustic Sash gives you that weapon back with a guaranteed damage modifier. If the sash is rare, the modifier is 50-69% increased damage. It's a really good way to keep your weapon up-to-date while leveling - every 10 or so levels, get a better base bow, then do the recipe on it (then, if you want, you can also Aug it for a second random mod).

Last edited: Dec 20, 2019
    Birdjaguar and EgonSpengler like this.
  19. Lexicus

Lexicus Deity

I'm getting Worms: Armageddon for $2.99 on Steam

20. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

Worms is a game I really want to like but every time I have played it I hated it and found it really boring.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.