What Videogames have You Been Playing XX: Virtual Imperialism

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been playing a bit OpenTTD multiplayer lately. This is one of my latest creations, shortly before reaching the goal. All of my 60 trains had a stop in this station, and it worked pretty well considering all of them were long and slow steamers...
Sarin Transport, Mar 14th, 1955.png

Has anyone played Phoenix Point? Was looking at the "Year One" edition for $25 on sale.

(Not a spoiler, an image.)
Spoiler :

I own it but I haven't played it. My flatmate really enjoys it, though.

Been playing a bit OpenTTD multiplayer lately. This is one of my latest creations, shortly before reaching the goal. All of my 60 trains had a stop in this station, and it worked pretty well considering all of them were long and slow steamers...
View attachment 601169
Hmmm, where can one play OpenTTD multiplayer?

‘Oops! She fell!’ :rotfl:

I did a four-hour civ3 bender today.

Korea! I've actually had the Persians pretend they are Hideyoshi and more or less land a bunch of troops on my shores by stages. Unlike the historical Koreans I decided that there was no such thing as too much preparedness and the caravel's worth of Knights and Immortals that landed every other turn or so did so within range (thanks to a well-developed road system) of about ten Hwach'as -any survivors were chased down by Crusaders and finished off by Knights at the 1-HP mark.

That said, I am on my own large island north of a continent with three civs. I have iron, horses, rubber, saltpetre and oil, but no coal or luxuries. Right south of OneKorea is a continent with weak Indians who have no rubber but have 2× coal and are trading it to other AIs and only have pikemen. I just have to plan the one coastal strike against their coal-laden coastal city and try and see whether their network of alliances will manage to retake it. The Indians cannot, but their other two neighbours are Persia (former enemies) and France (with an active MPP) so that right there is a problem.

It's an interesting setup that could go either way because everyone's just discovered infantry, there's no amphibious units nor aviation (nor modern ships) so I could just block the shores of my island with undisbanded spearmen and warriors and send all the Infantry to defend the beachhead in India. The Indians have just limped out of the Middle Ages.

The other eight civs (out of 12) are in their own cherso-pangæa. Two of them have gone out and the rest are quite far to actually be able to land in force, so if I just take the one city in India and hold onto it for the Coal I might just get all that extra commerce to get me over the finish line.

Korea! I've actually had the Persians pretend they are Hideyoshi and more or less land a bunch of troops on my shores by stages. Unlike the historical Koreans I decided that there was no such thing as too much preparedness and the caravel's worth of Knights and Immortals that landed every other turn or so did so within range (thanks to a well-developed road system) of about ten Hwach'as -any survivors were chased down by Crusaders and finished off by Knights at the 1-HP mark.

That said, I am on my own large island north of a continent with three civs. I have iron, horses, rubber, saltpetre and oil, but no coal or luxuries. Right south of OneKorea is a continent with weak Indians who have no rubber but have 2× coal and are trading it to other AIs and only have pikemen. I just have to plan the one coastal strike against their coal-laden coastal city and try and see whether their network of alliances will manage to retake it. The Indians cannot, but their other two neighbours are Persia (former enemies) and France (with an active MPP) so that right there is a problem.

It's an interesting setup that could go either way because everyone's just discovered infantry, there's no amphibious units nor aviation (nor modern ships) so I could just block the shores of my island with undisbanded spearmen and warriors and send all the Infantry to defend the beachhead in India. The Indians have just limped out of the Middle Ages.

The other eight civs (out of 12) are in their own cherso-pangæa. Two of them have gone out and the rest are quite far to actually be able to land in force, so if I just take the one city in India and hold onto it for the Coal I might just get all that extra commerce to get me over the finish line.

I hate missing coal and iron. Everything else you can work around to some extent.

Coal's just worth a lot of money when you're on a large island like mine.
I have Adam Smith's Trading Company so I'm just OK on that front.

Buuuut the amount of shields (about 6-12 depending on the cities' location, not counting factory output) lost might put me out of consideration for the space race, which looks like the most viable course right now. I have a cultural lead so nobody will beat me to it and domination/conquest is out of the question.

Conquest never out of the question. Switch to communism and mobilize.

Oh, conquest is out of the question as things stand. My direct rivals are stronger and they have a huge sea to make it worse. The good thing is that the leading tech rivals, Greece, are on another continent entirely and they have no coal. Mwahahahhaha! I just managed to steal the SETI project from under their very noses and I miiight just win it as a space race or diplo.

The Japanese are invading me and they are doing what the Persians once did: land as close as possible to my artillery and Hwach'as for them to finish them off. The Japanese are to blame for their own destruction in any event because they gave Korea 20 turns of coal. Halfway through that deal Persia once again tried to extort Korea for 100 gold and the system of MPPs meant that India joined Persia and France joined Korea.

The pre-war map was
---------Korea--
-------Korea----
----India---------
Persia--France-
Persia---France

France and India had enclaves in Persian territory and one outlying island each.
After the war Korea and France have split the Indian mainland. Korea has gained 1×Dyes, 1× oil and 1× coal. France has won 3× Dyes and 1×Gems. India is now a one-city civ in a one-tile island to the west of Persia.
Now Korea is busy fortifying the isthmus which it finally grabbed after a couple of decades of inconclusive fighting between France and Persia for the extreme west of India's mainland. Its position has been hopefully strengthened by clearing the marshes to the west of that and building a new city which, while economically still small, means a harbor, a barracks and extended control over the still wild marshlands. Between the untamed marshlands and barricades and the odd planted forest, soon both France and Persia shall need an MPP to get through to fight each other, unless they want to attempt seaborne raids. And the coal-oil city of Kolhapur is soon to be strengthened with planted forests and raised barricades as well as mountains. I just had to build the one city in India to make it so that units could start off anywhere in the Korean continent and then go on to fight down in the land of three races.

So now it's (zooming in)
-------------Korea-
------------Korea--
---Korea-Korea-
-I-Persia-France
---Persia-France
-Persia---France

(the I represents the one-tile Indian island)

To cap it off, I sold a tech to the Persians just when they were to buy it off somebody else for over a thousand quid on the spot plus 90-odd every turn and Furs to keep my people happy. So for 20 turns the blasted Xerxes should stay put and he and France cannot start it again because I can blockade the entire isthmus and rain bombardments on whatever mech infantry they pile up on those marshes. There simply is no way, mathematically, for them to attack in the same turn that they declare war.
I even got a leader, which I'll use for either the Apollo programme or the Forbidden Palace.

We're down to nine civs counting India, because in the larger continent the AIs have killed off Germany, Babylon and Rome.

Picked up Kingdom of Amalur: Reckoning. Was in the mood for high fantasy adventure without having to fight my way through tedious D&D character builds and party banter.
Game isn't bad, but rough around the edges. Game is feeling way too easy so far, with my strongest foe not the enemies, but the dodge keys viewing my inputs as suggestions. The game has a great vertical scale, but the camera is always pointed down toward the grass; almost like the grass texturer was dating the camera programmer.

I can blockade the entire isthmus and rain bombardments on whatever mech infantry they pile up on those marshes. There simply is no way, mathematically, for them to attack in the same turn that they declare war.
I even got a leader, which I'll use for either the Apollo programme or the Forbidden Palace.
MechInf are already in play, but you still haven't built your FP?!? :shake:

Bad Takh! No cookies for you! :nono:

;)

Last edited:
Original or Re-Reckoning?

This is also one of the game that I watch, the original is already retracted, so it's for sure the re-reckoning. What I know it has a grand story and lore, but looking at the gameplay and review, it seems not as I expected, kind a reminds me of fable, and I'm not that impress with fable.

Original or Re-Reckoning?

This is also one of the game that I watch, the original is already retracted, so it's for sure the re-reckoning. What I know it has a grand story and lore, but looking at the gameplay and review, it seems not as I expected, kind a reminds me of fable, and I'm not that impress with fable.
Haroons right, it's Re-Reckoning. I've never played fable so I can't compare it to that. It has hack-and-slash Action-RPG combat, but pretty toned down. It has abilities, but not so many that you are having to think long and hard about managing your hotkeys. The combat relies on dodging, but you are tanky enough to take a number of hits (provided you are wearing heavy armor). Gameplay is fine but simplistic. ZeroPunctuation described it as baby's first RPG, and I can't really fault that.
Perhaps I'll get sick and tired of it later on, but so far its been nice relaxing ARPG fun with an interesting world and passable writing. (Sidequests are basically forgettable, collect ten bear arses sort of quests.)

Last edited:
MechInf are already in play, but you still haven't built your FP?!? :shake:

Bad Takh! No cookies for you! :nono:

;)
My capital was built at more or less the geographical centre of Korea. To the north of Pyongyang to keep things real, of course.

There was only a negligible gain to be gotten from building a Forbidden Palace in our own continent, but there were bigger ones to be made from building it on an India that was already scheduled for conquest. I couldn't let them have oil and coal and, worse, trade the coal off to other AIs!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom