What Videogames Have You Been Playing XXI: Going for the Platinum!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Right, Minions provide both

* This means you can do other things while they're attacking and protecting you. With my Cyclone Gladiator, for example, I noticed that using a Warcry interrupts my Cyclone. afaik, using an Offering while my Minions are attacking doesn't interrupt their attacks (and even if it did, who cares?). You can make Warcries instantaneous - by using a Passive point.

My next toon will be a minion master of some sort. I need/want something wrist & finger-friendly hence I've made quite a few Cyclone based ones. The latest one started out as a Lacerate Duelist but switched to Cyclone Slayer as soon as I got into delving where the purpose to my understanding is not to dig a deeper grave for myself.
I like a lot Cyclone but the performance has been sub-par for several leagues now but this time it doesn't bother as I go Preach mode - if I don't know any better I'm satisfied with what I got and if I'll hit a wall I'll start somethings else; no regrets.

The only other game I actually play now is Hattrick which I've been on-and-off since 2003. A free online football manager with a league game once a week on weekends + a midweek cup/friendly. Playing may be a bit generous term for a fairly simple administrative job but the pace is just spot on.
One can logon everyday to do something or just leave it for a month. Neither is overly time consuming or disastrous in lower divisions on any league.

https://www.hattrick.org/en/

My next toon will be a minion master of some sort. I need/want something wrist & finger-friendly hence I've made quite a few Cyclone based ones. The latest one started out as a Lacerate Duelist but switched to Cyclone Slayer as soon as I got into delving where the purpose to my understanding is not to dig a deeper grave for myself.
I like a lot Cyclone but the performance has been sub-par for several leagues now but this time it doesn't bother as I go Preach mode - if I don't know any better I'm satisfied with what I got and if I'll hit a wall I'll start somethings else; no regrets.

The only other game I actually play now is Hattrick which I've been on-and-off since 2003. A free online football manager with a league game once a week on weekends + a midweek cup/friendly. Playing may be a bit generous term for a fairly simple administrative job but the pace is just spot on.
One can logon everyday to do something or just leave it for a month. Neither is overly time consuming or disastrous in lower divisions on any league.

https://www.hattrick.org/en/
If you want something wrist-and-finger-friendly, you probably want a Necromancer. Zombies, Specters & Golems are summoned only once, and you don't have to resummon them unless they're killed (and it's not too hard to make them very tough).

Skeletons have a fairly short duration, so you have to resummon them a lot, although Vaal Summon Skeletons is a hoot. Sentinels all have short durations, and depend on you landing attacks on enemies to summon them in the first place - Sentinels are very cynical, and will only fight if you go first. Golems don't have durations, they hang around until they're killed, but I don't know if you could do a pure Minion build with only Golems. I think an Elementalist can get 4 of them on the field with the right allocation of Passive Points, but those nodes on the skill web are specific to Golems and don't affect other types of Minions, so combining multiple Golems with Undead or Sentinels would mean spreading your Passive Points out a little more than you otherwise would. (Golems do benefit from all of the Passive nodes that affect all Minions, so 1 Carrion Golem or Chaos Golem is a good choice to supplement an army of undead.)

If you go with a Necromancer, it's not hard to get 8 Zombies, 3-4 Specters, and a Golem. That's if you don't feel like spamming Summon Skeletons all the time. I find Summon Skeletons useful for directing my horde around the map; Minions will go wherever you cast a spell or throw an attack, so if you cast Summon Skeletons out ahead of you - down a hallway or through a door - your Zombies, Specters and Golem will go running in the same direction, and because the spell isn't an attack, you won't generate any aggro on yourself. You can supplement that with Auras, Curses and Corpse Spells, which you'll probably only have to use during difficult fights, or just because you're bored.

I'm not a huge fan of zombies as a primary minion. They're just not that good at killing things, and are a faff to resummon if they die - admittedly that only tends to happen on bosses, but that's when you most need your main damage source to be active. I do use them, but purely as a defensive measure.

I'd lean towards a spectre/skeleton build as a starter. Setup the former for clearing in a 4 link, using something like Frost Auto Scouts, and have (Vaal) Skellies as your single target in your 5/6 link. Then a carrion golem with feeding frenzy and some zombies with meat shield. Throw in the relevant aura + curse for damage, and Determination and a Bone Offering + Desecrate setup (CWDT at first, trigger wand later) for defense. I took this build deep into red maps on SSF a couple of leagues ago with little trouble, and if you're playing trade and have the budget, you can transition into pure Spectres or Golems if you want to really push the endgame stuff.

I also find that my Necromancer kind of sucks in the Delve Mines and in the Temple of Atzoatl, both of which I like to do, so that's a significant weakness for me.

I also find that my Necromancer kind of sucks in the Delve Mines and in the Temple of Atzoatl, both of which I like to do, so that's a significant weakness for me.

I didn't have too much problem in Delve. Good ranged spectres tend to clear things out pretty well while your moving, and Vaal skellies deals with the fights at the end of each delve. I don't tend to do that much of the Alva stuff, but it really comes down to being able to clear large packs of magic monsters quickly, which again, a good spectre setup should do fine with, and tough bosses, which VSS is for.

I ran a Shrine guy last league using the Gull and all the Atlas tree shrine nodes. He had 4-6 shrines on him all the time. Pretty fun build.

The initial look at Starfield won't make me run right out to play it the moment it's available. Graphics look nice, but the environments look very generic, seem to lack any character. Not sure what sets it apart from Mass Effect or Deus Ex or any number of Star Wars games. I like that you can design and crew your own spacecraft. It looks like you'll be able to walk around on it, like a kind of player housing that flies around, which is cool, I guess. A lot will depend on whether you can actually do anything on it or with it. They say the main quest will run a typical player 30-40 hours, there are 1,000 planets to explore, and the central hub city will be the biggest they've ever designed, but the scope of the game isn't a selling-point for me (if anything, their boasts about how big it all is makes me worried that there won't be much there). Still early. We'll see.

The initial look at Starfield won't make me run right out to play it the moment it's available. Graphics look nice, but the environments look very generic, seem to lack any character. Not sure what sets it apart from Mass Effect or Deus Ex or any number of Star Wars games. I like that you can design and crew your own spacecraft. It looks like you'll be able to walk around on it, like a kind of player housing that flies around, which is cool, I guess. A lot will depend on whether you can actually do anything on it or with it. They say the main quest will run a typical player 30-40 hours, there are 1,000 planets to explore, and the central hub city will be the biggest they've ever designed, but the scope of the game isn't a selling-point for me (if anything, their boasts about how big it all is makes me worried that there won't be much there). Still early. We'll see.
It is kind of disappointing that procedural generation has gone from a cool thing to a blemish. An inch deep and a mile wide is pointless.

I now have two new-ish EU4 games, one multiplayer with a friend. I'm Austria, and Murphy's Law has been in effect for most of the game. Frederick III von Habsburg, Holy Roman Emperor, Archduke of Austria, died young on May 3,1453 (historically he lived until August of 1493). Austria entered a regency for the young Ladislaus Posthumous, with Frederick's widow Anna Bebek, a Hungarian, ruling as a 6/6/5 regent. Ladislaus became Holy Roman Emperor at the age of 13.

Things didn't look too bad until two weeks later, on May 17, 1453, when Ladislaus fell violently ill and soon died, poisoned by Hungarians at his coronation dinner! Austria was throw into turmoil, and Frederick and Anna's daughter Maria Carolina, celebrating her fifth birthday on that day, became the new Archduchess. The Emperorship, however, would pass to Brunswick, as no Pragmatic Sanction providing for the possibility of Maria Carolina's rule had been promulgated.

Further turmoil would follow. Anna Bebek would also die young, in 1456, leading to a worse regency, although she did at least start a war with Venice before that, setting the stage for expanding our coastline. Maria Carolina would become a 1/2/3 ruler, not benefitting from being trained for the job from birth. She would, however, rise to the occasion, forcing first Hungary and then Bohemia into personal unions, and extracting a heavy tribute from the former despite having a Hungarian mother herself. She also secured an alliance with the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth. Nonetheless, it was painful to watch Brunswick falter as Emperor, letting Italy slip away, and then letting Burgundy's lesser partners slip away, only for them to become junior partners of France very quickly. France, indeed, was becoming the superpower.

So, when France entered a war with the Empire and its weak Emperor, Maria Carolina declared war on France, with England as the strongest ally and the junior partners in tow. The claim was territorial, but the goal was to transfer overlordship of the Low Countries. Alas, it was not to be. With the Swiss on the French side (as well as the Scots and Genoese), it proved impossible to find a sustainable way forward into French territory. Though officially a loss, the war was in some respects a wash - England gained Scottish territory and lost Calais, and Corsica was first taken by Austria, and then released as independent in the final peace. Austria's army was devastated, and loans were extended, and France still looked powerful, but Scotland would be less of a concern going forward. Still, the loss paved the way for Maria Carolina abdicating in favor of her more talented son, Franz, which also set the stage for Austria potentially regaining the Emperorship.

Austria probably cannot defeat France, but the war encouraged Castile to align with France, and with that help things might go differently next time.

Here's the map. Norway has exited the Kalmar Union, but Sweden is still part of it.

Spoiler Map :

20220622032427_1.jpg

Oh, and yeah, I may have had something to do with the Byzantines, such as allying with them and helping them defeat the Ottomans. They've been the best allies ever since, they helped me defeat Venice, without them we would have been absolutely demolished by France. We tried to reward them with Venetian territory in the Aegean, but they wouldn't take it so we were forced to ask for money instead.

Game two, I was inspired to finally do a Byzantine game. I did an Athens game in EU3, but hadn't done Byzantines yet, though I've done Ottomans at least three time.

Here's how it looks so far:

Spoiler :

20220621223835_1.jpg

How long can both the Byzantine Empire and the Ottoman Empire grow? We aren't sure, but probably not much longer. We vassalized Epirus ASAP (taking one of their provinces), and were fortunate the Ottomans didn't declare war ASAP. Allied Serbia and Moldavia (who soon got marched by Poland), and after improving relations enough, Hungary. Hungary seems to be the lynchpin in deterring Ottoman aggression in Europe. Eventually Hungary declared war on Serbia, so we helped. That's how Albania (another Hungarian ally) gained their first province; we then allied Albania, as well as Milan and Cyprus.

Then, we declared war on Venice, aiming to take Negroponte and Naxos. The war proved difficult; our side had a bunch of small countries and poor coordination, and Venice wound up winning the naval war. But eventually, we dominated the land war, pushing Venice back from the Theodosian Walls and out of Morea, and Venice finally agreed to cede the two war goals to me, as well as Durazzo to Albania. Did that make us even for the Fourth Crusade? Probably not yet, but at least closer to even.

Milan was ticked that we didn't give them any land, but it was literally impossible, Venice was still occupying their land when the war ended. But after threatening to break the alliance for a few months, they decided they didn't have any better options.

Meanwhile, the Ottomans invaded Wallachia over a diplomatic insult, and have been gradually adding land in Anatolia. Not always looking super powerful though, Trebizond is still around after fighting them, and while Dulkadir lost, their ally the Great Horde gave the Ottomans some trouble. They're out of manpower now, and if our alliance wasn't more depleted than the European beaver after fighting Venice, it would be a good opportunity to challenge them to a dual.

As it is, we're happy to chill out for a bit, and gain some favors with our newest ally, Crimea, start a new alliance with Vlad III Tepes in Wallachia, and see if we can convince the Black Sheep to ally with us. Or, failing that, see the Ottomans get embroiled in a war over the White Sheep, their allies but target of territorial ambitions by the Mamluks.

The House of Palaiologos is no more, and the Ottomans have defeated the Byzantines in war.

Spoiler Map :

20220623011855_1.jpg

But surprisingly, that does not mean defeat, or at least not ultimate defeat. The Palaiologos dynasty died out due to Constantine XI's childlessness. And while the Ottomans did defeat us in battle, Constantinople has not yet fallen.

The question of the 1460s was when would it be time to challenge the Ottomans? Some believe the correct opportunity was missed in the early 1460s, when the Ottomans attacked Albania. Albania's mountains would have made a natural defensive barrier, and Hungary joined Albania. But this was when the Hungarian army in particular was more depleted than the beaver, and was struggling just to defeat some local rebels. Constantine ultimately decided the time was not right.

His successor, a Greek who had married into the Rurikovich house, hedged his bets by starting a campaign for Africa, conquering Fezzan. Although some questioned the wisdom of committing resources to pacifying an area that had been independent of Byzantium for so long, this gave Thomas I the confidence to attack the Ottoman Empire in the early 1470s, when the Ottomans attacked Venice, and when Naples would join us. Although numerically, the odds were not terrible, Naples proved to be a very ineffective ally, and even though two-fifths of the Ottoman armies were trapped on an island by the Venetian and Byzantine armies, the remaining 60% were too powerful to dislodge. Seeing that continued resistance was futile, Byzantium gave mainland Epirus to the Ottomans, and made their Athenian and Epirote vassals free. In exchange for not having to fight the main Byzantine army and continue the siege at Constantinople, the capital remained in Byzantine hands.

But this weakened Byzantium, potentially fatally given that the reduced tax and manpower base meant challenging anyone in the area would be difficult. Thus, a full-fledged invasion of Africa was launched, in a desperate bid to grow quickly enough to not become a relic of the past. This succeeded beyond anyone's wildest expectations. Tunis was backwards and unprepared, and the Byzantine army cruised across the ancient province, taking a good chunk of the land in the map above, including Carthage itself, and a corridor all the way to Cyrenaica. Due to an abysmal 2 admin points per month, it would take forever to core the provinces and develop the wealth of Africa, but a secondary base was secured.

Around 1490, with Africa now productive, the Empire began what may be considered its third phase - from Rome as a base, to Constantinople, to Africa and Carthage. Although the capital remained in place for the time being, Tunisian culture was adopted as the Empire's primary culture, and both Crete, recently conquered from Venice concurrently with an Ottoman invasion of Venice, and Morea, were released as a vassal and march, respectively. In the Despotate of Morea, funds were provided for the reconstruction of the Hexamilion Wall, across the Isthmus of Corinth, with the intention that the local administration would focus on land defenses, while the main Byzantine Navy would protect the waters around the Pelopponese. (In game, the second vassal/march also allowed +2 diplo relations, which one would not allow, and administering Crete ourselves was infeasible due to rebels. The idea is we'll net save diplo power if we keep Morea for 15+ years, and it might help our defenses. If it doesn't help our defenses, we'll still save diplo power, and will only be out the money we didn't collect in Morea) It had been hoped that Athens might also be reclaimed, but a warning from the Ottomans closed down that plan.

(In the war to conquer Crete, we also were de facto allied with the Ottomans, even liberating an Ottoman province from Siena for them, and assisting in the reconquest of Edirne, which had also fallen. Maybe if they find we're helpful, they'll want to keep us around)

With the new structure in place, Byzantium launched another invasion of Tunisia. This one proved to be much more difficult, with the new Tunisian ruler having made it his life's mission to be prepared for this war. At first Byzantium marched forward, fogbusting the desert and occupying towns, but Tunisia struck back with vengeance, pushing us clear back to Libya and forcing the hiring of many mercenaries. Mercenaries in tow, we then forced them back, eventually taking the five provinces we had claims on, but with an order of magnitude more losses on both sides than in the first war.

Not all is well. We have about 1000 ducats of debt, corruption is a problem, Crete resents being forced to be Orthodox, Africa remains non-Orthodox, and inflation, while not falling, was at one point second-highest in the world (two of our enemies in the Tunisian War were also in the top 5, illustrating the amount of debt racked up on all sides). We finally have decent force limits, but not enough manpower or money to make use of them. Although we did realize belatedly that the Free Company is super cheap for small countries, even more so than our own armies, so that was a pleasant surprise. Our army is now mostly made up of the Free Company, and Marines (thanks to Maritime Ideas), who use Sailors rather than Manpower.

Other weird things that you can't tell from the map:

- Castile and Aragon are in a Personal Union. Under Aragon. Castile is a loyal vassal, for now at least.
- Lithuania is free of Poland, thanks to Austria, who rules over Bohemia and Hungary (but made Hussite Moravia free)
- Muscovy is on a roll, but has been so aggressive that they never reached their force limits, thus not getting any claims on Novgorod or anyone else from their missions. As a result, their administrative tech is backwards as they're spending everything they have on making cores. (Mine is equally backwards, but a 0-admin ruler for most of the game makes that hard to avoid. Muscovy has had good rulers) Not that we're complaining; we're pretty sure our alliance with them is the only reason we're still intact, especially after Hungary imploded.

Nothing much has changed in PoE. Got myself through Act VIII in crappy gear from ages ago with a plan to run Aqueduct multiple times to get few lvls but more importantly upgrade my gear. Speed running from start to get full use out Sentinels & then to die pretty much by the first blue pack wondering wtf is my combat log. Not a fully thought out plan or implementation was seriously flawed but after respeccing to stun immunity things got a bit easier. Still no decent loot but I got bored with Aqueduct and switched to campaign again as I'm already too high lvl to get decent xp here.
If only I could twist Chris' arm for few changes...

Game two, I was inspired to finally do a Byzantine game. I did an Athens game in EU3, but hadn't done Byzantines yet, though I've done Ottomans at least three time.
Surprisingly strong Muscovy in that campaign. If practicable, I’d look for alliance opportunities with any of Poland/Lithuania/Muscovy. Ottoman expansion into the Crimea region is a strategic liability, in my opinion. They’ve exposed themselves to the manpower reserves of northeastern Europe.

Really need an alliance with one of the three from what I can see. The Ottoman manpower is now at such an extent that the Italian powers will be of limited use. Their navies may be useful, but probably only marginally. The obvious operation is a blockade of the Bosporus: do ya really trust the AI not to botch that?

Once an alliance is secured with at least one(preferably two) of the major NE European powers, I’d probably go at the Ottomans. Initially, they’re going to overrun positions in Greece. Can’t be helped. I’d preserve military capability in Africa, because once the Ottomans capture Greece, they’re going to march all the way to the Crimea en masse, provoked by the NE allies, who could be reliably counted on to invade there.

That’s the counter-attack moment. Blockade the Bosporus. Rout any stragglers in Greece with a core force while breaking off several detachments for besieging captured territories and Ottoman Greece.

Kinda a grim situation, though. They’ve got substantial manpower advantages over surrounding states. They’re probably going to get stronger in time. Might wanna look at a pivot to Italy for expansion.

Surprisingly strong Muscovy in that campaign. If practicable, I’d look for alliance opportunities with any of Poland/Lithuania/Muscovy. Ottoman expansion into the Crimea region is a strategic liability, in my opinion. They’ve exposed themselves to the manpower reserves of northeastern Europe.

Really need an alliance with one of the three from what I can see. The Ottoman manpower is now at such an extent that the Italian powers will be of limited use. Their navies may be useful, but probably only marginally. The obvious operation is a blockade of the Bosporus: do ya really trust the AI not to botch that?

Once an alliance is secured with at least one(preferably two) of the major NE European powers, I’d probably go at the Ottomans. Initially, they’re going to overrun positions in Greece. Can’t be helped. I’d preserve military capability in Africa, because once the Ottomans capture Greece, they’re going to march all the way to the Crimea en masse, provoked by the NE allies, who could be reliably counted on to invade there.

That’s the counter-attack moment. Blockade the Bosporus. Rout any stragglers in Greece with a core force while breaking off several detachments for besieging captured territories and Ottoman Greece.

Kinda a grim situation, though. They’ve got substantial manpower advantages over surrounding states. They’re probably going to get stronger in time. Might wanna look at a pivot to Italy for expansion.

Muscovy had militaristic rulers for the first 75 years or so. They kept on expanding at a blistering rate. They were never willing to invade the Ottomans due to debts that reached over 3000 ducats, funding their expansion. Poland never warmed up to our diplomats, and Lithuania loved to rival us whenever our power levels were close enough for them to do so (still not sure why, maybe because we were allied with Muscovy).

So, in January of 1522, the Ottomans declared war with the goal of conquering Constantinople. By this time we'd taken more land from Tunis, but Muscovy was in deep against Poland and Lithuania trying to expand to the west, and didn't honor the defensive call to arms. Thus it was the Ottomans against Byzantium, Morea, Marrakesh, and Milan (Crete was scutaged). Three M's and a B against the Ottomans.

That was obviously not a promising formula. Our troops were all in Africa so they wouldn't get defeated on day 1. We defeated their navy once in the Gulf of Gabes, which gave us some hope. I hadn't expected my navy to be ready until around 1535-1540, but with that victory, we had some confidence to send our troops out across the sea.

Morea's fort provided an option, and we landed some troops behind that to engage the Ottomans, but not before they'd taken the province northwest of Sparta, preventing out navy from blockading reinforcements (although the fort still prevented them from wiping us out at Sparta). That provided an honorable, if losing, battle, but not a path to victory.

Next, we took our Marines, and used their quick-disembark ability to land them on the Anatolian side of the straits of Bosporus, Constantinople having fallen. This allowed us to occupy two provinces quickly, and block the straits with our navy, while the vast majority of the Ottoman army was in Europe. Thus a plan was devised to occupy as much of Anatolia as possible, while counting on the Poles to not allow reinforcements. A plan that might work, as long as Morea didn't request military access from Poland as they had from the Mamluks (thankfully the Ottomans never sent troops that way, but it's really annoying when your vassal ruins your plans by giving your enemy access to your lands!).

But we knew we needed more than 5000 Marines to occupy Anatolia, both because the forts required 6000 men, and because there were still 5000-10000 Ottoman troops unaccounted for, and between that and new recruits, our Marines risked being overwhelmed. So the Navy sent half its ships back to fetch reinforcements, the other continuing to blockade. Unfortunately, two separate Ottoman detachments engaged both halves of our navies, and managed to defeat both of them, despite our earlier victory (I don't think the Ottomans had engaged 100% of their navy in the first battle). That was the end of any hope to be able to defeat them.

Thus, after just over a year, Constantinople and mainland Greece (save Athens, which was independent) became Ottoman. We were able to keep Naxos and Rhodes, as well as scutaged Crete. Athens would be quickly conquered the next year, independent Trebizond soon after that, and in the early-mid 1530s, we would sell Naxos to the Turks for a decent price, avoiding another war. Why didn't they take it in the first place? Presumably because our Marines were ruining their prosperity in Anatolia. That got us +1 warscore, which was just enough to keep it and sell it later for 220 ducats or so. The Marines earned their paychecks.

Unfortunately, Constantinople was responsible for a major chunk of our income (and nearly all our trade income), so its loss would reduce the ability to produce more paychecks. 95% of our income was based on taxes, production, and vassals afterwards, only 5% from trade. The Army would have to be downsized, although the Marines were not among those downsized.

So the reign of Thomas I ended. He lived to be 80 years old, seeing the fall of the capital that so many had thought would happen 70 years earlier. But, despite being hopeless in the day-to-day administration, he had established a new base for the Empire in Africa. One of his last acts was setting up the new capital at Carthage, the "third Rome" as he proclaimed it.

----

Now it's 1550, and we have re-allied Muscovy (still perpetually in debt) and are allied with Castile, whom we helped gain independence from Aragon almost immediately after we lost Constantinople. The Ottomans and Mamluks finally fought a war, which the Mamluks won in a split decision, taking two provinces despite the Ottoman army being larger. All of North Africa is ours except for the area just across from Iberia (Castilian), and Tafilalt, which also took part of Marrakesh and then allied the Ottomans. Another trader at Sus means we now get about 8% of our income from trade - still a fraction of what we once earned, but an improvement.

We've been starting to expand to the Mediterranean islands. Caralis, in southern Sardinia, was first, in a surprisingly tough war due to most of Castile's troops adventuring in the New World. But in the second post-independence Aragonese war, we'd take the rest of Sardinia, the Balaeres, and Malta. Combined with continued Maritime and Naval ideas (possibly the first time I've chosen Naval, and among the few for Maritime, but it actually made sense for both given the situation), our Navy is well on its way to being the best in the Mediterranean, or at least competitive with everyone else. A +40% galley combat bonus certainly does not hurt.

Italy is on our radar, and the Pope has rivalled us, but the timeline is in question. We're looking for opportunities; Austria is allied with Savoy and the Papal State (who has a considerable army of their own that we cannot defeat by ourselves), Naples was allied with Castile until the latter dishonored an alliance when the Pope invaded Reformed Naples (so we're considering invading Naples), and Tuscany has perhaps the weakest alliance system with Aragon and Lucca, but can afford nearly infinite mercenaries. It's going to have to be a "find a moment when Austria or whoever else is busy" opportunity, maybe the Ottomans can help us with that, or maybe Austria's current two wars will divide its attention sufficiently.

We're also considering attacking Tafilalt and their Ottoman allies. Not because we think we can retake Greece, but because we suspect our Navy can render the Ottomans moot, and we can take Tafilalt. A risky strategy, but one that would allow us to keep our claims on our old homeland current.

I believe I’d go ahead and leave Greece behind, in that situation. Strategically it makes sense, but perhaps as importantly, from an immersion perspective, cultural ties with Greece are already cut. It’s a new entity, now. Popular demand in this hypothetical state would probably shift towards new goals if it were to actually exist. Make the 3rd Rome it’s own state with its own goals as the Byzantine empire was the 2nd Rome with its own differing goals.

Muscovy had militaristic rulers for the first 75 years or so. They kept on expanding at a blistering rate. They were never willing to invade the Ottomans due to debts that reached over 3000 ducats, funding their expansion. Poland never warmed up to our diplomats, and Lithuania loved to rival us whenever our power levels were close enough for them to do so (still not sure why, maybe because we were allied with Muscovy).

So, in January of 1522, the Ottomans declared war with the goal of conquering Constantinople. By this time we'd taken more land from Tunis, but Muscovy was in deep against Poland and Lithuania trying to expand to the west, and didn't honor the defensive call to arms. Thus it was the Ottomans against Byzantium, Morea, Marrakesh, and Milan (Crete was scutaged). Three M's and a B against the Ottomans.

That was obviously not a promising formula. Our troops were all in Africa so they wouldn't get defeated on day 1. We defeated their navy once in the Gulf of Gabes, which gave us some hope. I hadn't expected my navy to be ready until around 1535-1540, but with that victory, we had some confidence to send our troops out across the sea.

Morea's fort provided an option, and we landed some troops behind that to engage the Ottomans, but not before they'd taken the province northwest of Sparta, preventing out navy from blockading reinforcements (although the fort still prevented them from wiping us out at Sparta). That provided an honorable, if losing, battle, but not a path to victory.

Next, we took our Marines, and used their quick-disembark ability to land them on the Anatolian side of the straits of Bosporus, Constantinople having fallen. This allowed us to occupy two provinces quickly, and block the straits with our navy, while the vast majority of the Ottoman army was in Europe. Thus a plan was devised to occupy as much of Anatolia as possible, while counting on the Poles to not allow reinforcements. A plan that might work, as long as Morea didn't request military access from Poland as they had from the Mamluks (thankfully the Ottomans never sent troops that way, but it's really annoying when your vassal ruins your plans by giving your enemy access to your lands!).

But we knew we needed more than 5000 Marines to occupy Anatolia, both because the forts required 6000 men, and because there were still 5000-10000 Ottoman troops unaccounted for, and between that and new recruits, our Marines risked being overwhelmed. So the Navy sent half its ships back to fetch reinforcements, the other continuing to blockade. Unfortunately, two separate Ottoman detachments engaged both halves of our navies, and managed to defeat both of them, despite our earlier victory (I don't think the Ottomans had engaged 100% of their navy in the first battle). That was the end of any hope to be able to defeat them.

Thus, after just over a year, Constantinople and mainland Greece (save Athens, which was independent) became Ottoman. We were able to keep Naxos and Rhodes, as well as scutaged Crete. Athens would be quickly conquered the next year, independent Trebizond soon after that, and in the early-mid 1530s, we would sell Naxos to the Turks for a decent price, avoiding another war. Why didn't they take it in the first place? Presumably because our Marines were ruining their prosperity in Anatolia. That got us +1 warscore, which was just enough to keep it and sell it later for 220 ducats or so. The Marines earned their paychecks.

Unfortunately, Constantinople was responsible for a major chunk of our income (and nearly all our trade income), so its loss would reduce the ability to produce more paychecks. 95% of our income was based on taxes, production, and vassals afterwards, only 5% from trade. The Army would have to be downsized, although the Marines were not among those downsized.

So the reign of Thomas I ended. He lived to be 80 years old, seeing the fall of the capital that so many had thought would happen 70 years earlier. But, despite being hopeless in the day-to-day administration, he had established a new base for the Empire in Africa. One of his last acts was setting up the new capital at Carthage, the "third Rome" as he proclaimed it.

----

Now it's 1550, and we have re-allied Muscovy (still perpetually in debt) and are allied with Castile, whom we helped gain independence from Aragon almost immediately after we lost Constantinople. The Ottomans and Mamluks finally fought a war, which the Mamluks won in a split decision, taking two provinces despite the Ottoman army being larger. All of North Africa is ours except for the area just across from Iberia (Castilian), and Tafilalt, which also took part of Marrakesh and then allied the Ottomans. Another trader at Sus means we now get about 8% of our income from trade - still a fraction of what we once earned, but an improvement.

We've been starting to expand to the Mediterranean islands. Caralis, in southern Sardinia, was first, in a surprisingly tough war due to most of Castile's troops adventuring in the New World. But in the second post-independence Aragonese war, we'd take the rest of Sardinia, the Balaeres, and Malta. Combined with continued Maritime and Naval ideas (possibly the first time I've chosen Naval, and among the few for Maritime, but it actually made sense for both given the situation), our Navy is well on its way to being the best in the Mediterranean, or at least competitive with everyone else. A +40% galley combat bonus certainly does not hurt.

Italy is on our radar, and the Pope has rivalled us, but the timeline is in question. We're looking for opportunities; Austria is allied with Savoy and the Papal State (who has a considerable army of their own that we cannot defeat by ourselves), Naples was allied with Castile until the latter dishonored an alliance when the Pope invaded Reformed Naples (so we're considering invading Naples), and Tuscany has perhaps the weakest alliance system with Aragon and Lucca, but can afford nearly infinite mercenaries. It's going to have to be a "find a moment when Austria or whoever else is busy" opportunity, maybe the Ottomans can help us with that, or maybe Austria's current two wars will divide its attention sufficiently.

We're also considering attacking Tafilalt and their Ottoman allies. Not because we think we can retake Greece, but because we suspect our Navy can render the Ottomans moot, and we can take Tafilalt. A risky strategy, but one that would allow us to keep our claims on our old homeland current.

So you are playing yet another game as the ottomans? :mischief: :D

(I have never played Eu4, but I know that you can rent ships and so could win a naval war with Venice if you also were allied with a notable naval power)

Been playing AC Valhalla. Mostly as a time sink when I don’t feel like putting in the energy to play strategy games well.

It’s not great, but it’s not terrible. I haven’t been able to decide for years if I like the ancient aliens plot line the AC series uses. It’s sorta mysterious, but also sorta this weird blend of ideas that exist in the public consciousness, a smoothie made from ancient aliens, New World Order theories, and historical mythology it radically alters to suit its purposes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom