What Videogames Have You Been Playing XXI: Going for the Platinum!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lost a super star destroyer today in Thrawns Revenge. That's rare. Pushed into the cirse at Bilbringi. I expected it to be a rough fight as it's a chokepoint and major shipyard. I was playing Eriadu Authority imperial faction.

Ran into Kaine the leader of the Pentastar Alignment in his personal Super Star Destroyer. I win but took a heap of damage.

My other Super star destroyer was also chewed up. So I pushed into Yinchorr a minor planet.

And it had Ysanne be Isard in her SSD. So the guardian got chewed up.

So back to the original assertor SSD it had repaired a bit and had more health than Isards. The planet had supporting units and a HVG surface to orbit gun. The SsDs killed each other.

I can rebuild it but I have a lifetime supply of two so no more if this one dies. The remnants of both fleets made it to Catida which I captured but ran outta gas.

Two large fleets got chewed to pieces cracking the core world's and Kuat, Coruscant and Corellia are expected to be rough.

Might relegate the Assertor to heavily defended chokepoint and switch to a Bellator SSD which is smaller, faster but a lot cheaper in point cost.

What prevents you from using the purple cross as a flag and selecting the latin nameset ? :p

Tsk tsk. Justinian the Great was the last native Latin-speaking emperor.

I am playing demo of a farming simulator and it amuses me that every every employee is white.

I wonder why there hasn't been an American Football Manager? In addition to Non-American Football Manager, there's the Out of the Park series for baseball and there at least used to be Eastside Hockey Manager for hockey to fill the same niche. Maybe there is an American Football Manager and I just haven't heard about it. Out of the Park is the only one I've played, but it is pretty good, it definitely lured me in when I tried it. I was tempted to set up a custom league with a promotion/relegation scheme and everything but never quite got around to implementing that.

-----

Haven't played as many games this year, but I did continue my (Nationalist) China game in Hearts of Iron IV, which now features Chinese panzers defending Stalingrad. For some reason Chinese troops always wind up defending Stalingrad when I play China, sample size = 2. The AI built way fewer tanks than historically (on both sides) so 1300 tanks has proven to be enough to make its presence felt, if not enough to completely change how things are going.

I've also continued my Prussia -> Germany game in Victoria II. In the third Franco-Prussian War, I wound up converting Belgium and Switzerland, both formerly in the French sphere of influence, into Prussian puppets, and occupied most of France. That proved to be the undoing of France's July Monarchy and King Louis Philippe; a large scale French revolt occurred shortly after the war that overthrew the monarchy and brought in the French Second Republic. But happily, it also proved to be the end of France declaring war on us every five years; Europe has been much more peaceful since then.

Now it's 1862, and while Prussia/Germany has remained an absolute monarchy longer than any of the British pundits predicted, with a high degree of stability until the late 1850s. Signs of stress to the system are now showing with the first sizeable pro-Republic revolt, albeit still much smaller than the one that brought in France's Second Republic. Wilhelm I has now ascended to the throne, and is faced with an outright majority of his subjects considering themselves to be liberals, in favor of reform.

From a meta perspective, it's interesting seeing the interactions between education and desire for political reform in Vicky II. I abandoned a Tsarist game years ago when literacy levels reached about 74% and revolts (both liberal and Communist) became near-constant, despite a censored press, but an Ottoman game that ended with 35% literacy in 1936 resulted in a stable Sultanate. In this one, Germany has about 71.5% literacy and a free press, and the clamor for reform is not nearly as much as in the Tsarist game, which was approaching anarchy when I abandoned it in 1923, but it is increasing. For a while, a booming economy that allowed even most of the unskilled craftsmen in new factories to buy luxury goods seemed to placate the masses and the rate of reform movement membership flatlined and even occasionally declined, but now that rates of economic growth have reached more moderate rates, the stability of that wealth-for-political-control bargain is falling.

Germany is ranked #1 overall and in prestige, #3 in industry (behind Great Britain and France), and #3 in military IIRC (behind China and Great Britain). Now that France is peaceful, our only conflict of late has been helping our Tuscan allies capture Emilia-Romagna from the Pope; after Austria fell from Great Power status and France had a revolution, we've started becoming involved in Italian politics, with some dreaming of a return to a Holy Roman style federation of Germany and Italy, with Tuscany as its southern center, and the Kaiser having precedence over the Pope.

Key German industries include machine parts (45% market share), clippers (30% market share, subsidized but ensuring our navy will always have enough ships so long as the sail dominates the seas, which is surely going to be the case for decades to come... right? and armaments (15-25% market share depending on the category). We've notably failed to make inroads into the newfangled steamship category, but those are just going to be a fad anyway. Lighting fires under the decks of ships? Nonsense!

I am playing demo of a farming simulator and it amuses me that every every employee is white.

They are also excellent drivers!

Though this game is something I've been wanting for a while: something akin to Maxis's SimFarm that isn't either a) farm equipment driving simulator or b) a life simulation where the player lives on a farm. I think I buy the full version when it goes on sale. :)

Path of Exile - I'm thinking about trying a Righteous Fire Juggernaut. If I understand it correctly, you need mind-meltingly high Fire Resistance and Life Regen to even consider it.

Path of Exile - I'm thinking about trying a Righteous Fire Juggernaut. If I understand it correctly, you need mind-meltingly high Fire Resistance and Life Regen to even consider it.

I did a RF Inquisitor a few leagues back. Wasn't particularly hard to get it running - capped fire res and the (since nerfed) regen from the ascendancy and Vitality was more than enough. Didn't have much left over regen for sustain until I got some more on gear and the tree, but it was perfectly functional from 2nd lab onwards. Not sure on the exact setup for Jugg, but I can't imagine it's much harder than Inq was to get started. The Youtuber Pohx has some highly rated guides on the subject.

I know folks who run it every league and do top bosses without effort all the way to 93+. I think they use Jugg but am not sure. It seems to be a walk around and kill everything skill when done right. Not my style, but effective.

SSF might be harder to set up.

@EgonSpengler

Here is a link to a level 97 RF Jugg. I do not know the player so it is a bit of a random toon.

@EgonSpengler

Here is a link to a level 97 RF Jugg. I do not know the player so it is a bit of a random toon.

I had a quick glance at poe.ninja, and 98% of the 812 people running Righteous Fire on a Juggernaut pair it with Fire Trap and a pair of boots called Legacy of Fury, which makes me think they're all using more or less the same build.

Dunno about the boots (I'm SSF, don't ask me about uniques!), but Fire Trap is a great way to boost single target, which is RFs main weakpoint. It scales off of many of the same things, and has pretty good base damage. Even on a 4 link it really helps bossing.

Dunno about the boots (I'm SSF, don't ask me about uniques!), but Fire Trap is a great way to boost single target, which is RFs main weakpoint. It scales off of many of the same things, and has pretty good base damage. Even on a 4 link it really helps bossing.
I've been playing SSF too, so seeing so many of them all using the same unique was a little discouraging.

I've been playing SSF too, so seeing so many of them all using the same unique was a little discouraging.
Try looking on poe.ninja limited to SSF. You can also limit the snapshot to, say, the first week of the league which will cut down on the fancy gear.

Last edited:
I don't play SSF. This league I opted to go 2H and try vaal cleave plus HS. I found a Soul Taker and decided to buy a Heartbreaker dagger to make a Kingmaker Despot Ax. The upgraded damage is wonderful and since it requires no mana, one obstacle is overcome. I'm a bit of a glass cannon atm though. I gave up on Sanctums but am having great fun without their distraction.

I'm actually doing RF jugg this league (its horrible at the league mechanic, but otherwise has been good). The boots are nice but not critical (just a cheap way to get some extra damage via scorch and clear speed via the explosions which is why it so popular). Seems like all you really need to get started is around 4% max res on the tree (all near marauder), enough regen on the tree and the 40% more regen from the jugg ascendancy. Haven't had as much time as I'd like, but still up to level 90, and have gotten the two void stones from the eater/exarch. DPS is a bit low at times (I've taken to carrying frost bomb in my inventory to swap in case I hit a rare that just won't die), but the survivability is great. Leveling until you can use rf was a bit of a pain, but not too bad.

@Quintillus , do you plan to try the Golden Age mod? Unfortunately no new version has been uploaded yet.
Realistically, probably not, I mostly stick to Vanilla in Paradox games, and it sounds a bit unpolished as yet. I also have too many Paradox games in-progress at the moment (just started a Georgia game in EUIV), and once I finish my Germany Vicky II game (now in 1866), my next Victoria game will likely be Vicky III. I haven't picked it up yet but once it has a 20% off sale I likely will.

Any CFVers play Stellaris and looking for MP group in American time zone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom