What views do you currently hold that will look outdated to your grandchildren?

Mise

isle of lucy
I was talking with my wife about a year ago about our grandparents, and how backward and weird some of their views were. Things like their views on marriage and the role of women, race, homosexuality, even how one behaves at work and what sort of behaviour is acceptable from a boss vs what sort of behaviour an employee has a right to challenge. On all of these things, my grandparents had very outdated views that seem at best peculiar and anachronistic, and at worst outright disgusting to me.

It was in discussing this that, just over a year ago, we decided to become vegetarian, as we could both foresee that our grandchildren will look at us eating dead animals, raised in horrible conditions on some industrial farm, injected with various chemicals, killed en mass, and responsible for a huge chunk of our global warming, and imagining them not forgiving us for it.

I often wonder what other views I hold that, in 50 years time, would look as outdated as my grandparents forcing my uncle to chaperone my parents on their first date. I, for example, bought a diamond ring, proposed to and married my wife, and we have a relationship that is well within the parameters of an orthodox, heteronormal Western relationship. My wife even took my surname! I can already hear my grandchildren's gasps echo across time and space.

Obviously conservative-leaning people can play along too but I'd imagine the entire premise of this question subverts the primary thesis of conservativism itself. I would in any case be very interested to hear responses to this either from conservatives personally, or that are based in a conservative ideology!

I am attracted to women who have always been women. Don't find myself attracted to anyone else, ever. In the future, when gender and sex is a lot more fluid and dynamic and changeable and whatever else, I bet my stance of only ever dating women will be viewed as "weird".

I bet that the eating of meat will eventually just stop. We might be eating some lab grown meat/protein or whatever, but using the planet to grow meat will eventually stop, since it isn't really sustainable. So one day my position of: "I eat dead animal flesh at least once a day" will be seen as pretty weird, eventually maybe as weird as we view cannibals.

Other than that it's tough to say. I'm generally a fairly progressive person, so it's tough to think of something I am not already progressive about that might become more of a norm in the future. I could easily include more gender-role stuff if I had a wife or family, but I don't.

Once we figure out foolproof contraception I bet abortion will eventually stop being accepted, since we just won't need it. I support abortion because I support the overriding mother's health rights and so on, but I can see how at some point in the future this argument will no longer work.

Hopefully my grandchildren will be shocked to hear how I spent many of my waking days alone & staring at a screen as opposed to experience life w/ other humans face to face.

Don't find myself attracted to anyone else, ever. In the future, when gender and sex is a lot more fluid and dynamic and changeable and whatever else, I bet my stance of only ever dating women will be viewed as "weird".
I doubt it. Aprox 97% of people are heterosexual afaik. It's good people can be who they want without bigots shaming them but I don't imagine it will society will change that fundamentally for most folks.

I think probably that sexuality being on a 3-point spectrum that you put yourself on will seem odd: Heterosexual, homosexual, or bisexual. I think in the future people will just be attracted to whomever they're attracted to. One might be attracted to certain qualities in people, which might result in your being attracted to certain kinds of people more than certain other kinds of people, and those people might or might not have some anatomy in common. Whether one is "open-minded" or "nonjudgmental" toward queer people won't even be a thing, because we'll all be queer, in a matter of speaking. Some of us will be men who've never dated a man, and some will be women who've never dated a woman, and that'll be fine, 'cause everybody will just date who they want to and marry who they want to, without putting a label on it or talking about which "team" they're on.

Impossible to know. I try pretty hard to be more open minded. I suppose I could come up with views I had a decade ago that'll be weird by my grandkids' standards but I don't hold them anymore so. The only really significant difference between me and my grandparents would be acceptance of the LGBTQ community. AFAIK they didn't despise them or anything but didn't view it as natural.

Meat's not going anywhere soon. People know that, which is why they're attempting to synthetically produce it. I suppose it's possible my grandkids might think its weird that I ate something that used to have eyes and walked around.

I guess a lot depends on what technology comes out in the near future.

I doubt it. Aprox 97% of people are heterosexual afaik. It's good people can be who they want without bigots shaming them but I don't imagine it will society will change that fundamentally for most folks.

Right now yes, but as our technology improves and people are free to choose who they are a lot more easily, this will eventually change. Most people will probably partake in "traditional" sexuality, but all sorts of weird stuff will be going on. And looking back to today, somebody only being attracted to women and never transwomen will probably be seen as weird.

I mentioned meat, because it's not sustainable, so it's going away at some point, unless we figure out how to synthetically produce it like on star trek or whatever. I think in the future people will think it's weird we used to kill living creatures and then eat them.

I don't wanna hook my brain directly up to a neutral jack just to get news and social media

Holding the Olympics on the moon is too big an advantage to the athletes of Moon Nation who are used to the low gravity.

that stat doesn't count closeted people

that stat doesn't count closeted people
Yeah perhaps the actual number of gay people are much higher, double even. The study I remember reading about hooked men's junk up to some sort of device that measured bloodflow or movement and showed them pictures of either hot women or men and the result was that males tended to be mostly 100% binary (casting doubt on the theory that we're all a little bi) whereas women's sexuality was much more fluid (they tended to be aroused by a wider variety of imagery) and also their self-assessment of what was arousing was much less correlated to reality than men's self-assessment.

Last edited:
Holding the Olympics on the moon is too big an advantage to the athletes of Moon Nation who are used to the low gravity.
I would think it would be the opposite. Their muscles will inevitable shrink due to low gravity whereas to someone who trains on Earth competing w/ 6x less body weight will make them superhuman.

Eating animals is probably absolutely true. Very little way to square eating beef with not rampaging the entire environment, and that's ignoring the fact that our meat consumption basically causes unimaginable 24/7 torture of lots and lots of living creatures.

I'm not really guilty of this one luckily, but I do think in 100 years people will look back on media where people flaunted wealth; yachts, big houses, media that prominently displays it, those Netflix shows with 60 million dollar listings, etc., as absolutely disgusting and ridiculous, for similar environmental reasons.

And as much as I try to be at peak open mindedness and take an anarchic view of it all, I think we probably fail to grasp how fluid everything involving sex and gender will eventually be.

They will think it's quaint that I think the government shouldn't be allowed full access to my cloud storage and that it isn't 'dignified' for elders to be forced onto ice-floes with halberds

I wonder if AI technology will advance to such an extent that later generations will look askance at our frequent use of the term 'robot' to refer to mechanised persons.

Long jump medal ceremony will be delayed while the gold medallist is removed from orbit

I'm not really guilty of this one luckily, but I do think in 100 years people will look back on media where people flaunted wealth; yachts, big houses, media that prominently displays it, those Netflix shows with 60 million dollar listings, etc., as absolutely disgusting and ridiculous, for similar environmental reasons.
I'd go so far as to say that the reaction to such things needs to flip from awe to disgust for us to even survive as a species (a successful one anyway)

Perhaps my wasteful two internal combustion car, urban generated, rural one off house will be abhor them.

Not sure about my attitudes.
My kids are small now so say it will be maybe 40 years till any potential grandchildren have strong opinions about stuff.

My eldest niece has become a vegetarian at the age of 11.

Folks seem to be assuming that things will get better. I'm not so sure.

50 years from now my views of political, social, and economic equality might be seen as outdated. A plutocratic class might be seen as the natural leaders of humanity, needing to be tax free in order to provide jobs for the masses, needing to be given all political power because of their superior education, needing to be free of legal constraints, needing to be treated with the utmost respect due to their superiority, etc. etc., etc. :worship:

They'll probably think it's odd that I consider it weird/rude to just whip out your phone and start scrolling through it in the middle of a conversation or when you're out for a meal with someone. Or that you ever put your phone down at all. Not sure if I'm talking about my grandchildren or just current 20 year olds though.

I suspect that almost all of my ideas about things will be out dated and changed. The one I hope is not, is: manners are important as the grease that keeps interactions smooth.

Last edited:
I am attracted to women who have always been women.

I'm in the same boat as you. I just can't be turned on by someone who spent so much time as a disgusting baby and obnoxious kid before transitioning.

OP, I've opted to never have children but I the fact that I like guns will probably be the weirdest thing to any future people who realize I existed.

Top Bottom