What VP difficulty matches CIV6-deity?

glider1

Deity
Hi there - If there is anyone playing Civ6 on deity and also playing VP?

What do you think the mileage of Civ6 deity AI is for challenge compared to VP and what equivalent VP difficulty level would that be in your opinion?

I'm having slight thoughts to buy Civ6 and try it, but it is very expensive and if it has insufficient AI challenge I know I'm going to be disappointed (I remember what happened with me on Civ5 before BNW).

Cheers thanks in advance

I haven't played Civ 6 to any serious extent, but VP is generally considered to be two difficulty levels higher than Civ 5's (so VP Emperor is equivalent to vanilla Deity), and my brief time with 6 plus everything I've read and seen about it tells me that 6 is generally considered to be much easier than 5.

If you're just starting out with VP but have plenty of Civ experience, I would genuinely start your first game on Prince and see how that feels. I played Emperor and Immortal regularly on 5, but have not had any luck making it past King on VP, if that gives you any idea.

I know people were beating diety civ 6 on week 1. It sounds pretty easy overall

Is the conventional wisdom that VP is two levels harder than vanilla Civ still true? The recent overhaul to AI difficulty bonuses might have shaken things up a bit. I'm an Emperor VP player, and while I haven't played vanilla Civ for a long time, I imagine I would struggle at least a bit with Deity.

A blasphemer!!! :-D

If you have not done so yet, you can download a demo of Civ6, it will let you play 100 turns. Probably not enough to find out about the difficulty, but enough to get a general feel about the game.

I personally did not enjoy Civ6 (the demo).

A blasphemer!!! :-D

If you have not done so yet, you can download a demo of Civ6, it will let you play 100 turns. Probably not enough to find out about the difficulty, but enough to get a general feel about the game.

I personally did not enjoy Civ6 (the demo).
The most annoying part of civ6 is the inflation cost mechanic. I dont see any logic, why the fifth district cost is like double or triple the amount od the first one. If you settle your city on a small island and need a harbor district to get any production and need 50 turns for it, like 1,5 eras.... This is simply silly. I cant imagine how you wanna play this on large or huge maps...
The 2 difficulty steps may be true, but I think, with the recent changes, its more like 2.5 steps. If you have experience on civ5 and civ6, prince is a good start.

Hi there - If there is anyone playing Civ6 on deity and also playing VP?

What do you think the mileage of Civ6 deity AI is for challenge compared to VP and what equivalent VP difficulty level would that be in your opinion?

I'm having slight thoughts to buy Civ6 and try it, but it is very expensive and if it has insufficient AI challenge I know I'm going to be disappointed (I remember what happened with me on Civ5 before BNW).

Cheers thanks in advance

It is clear civ 6 is made for looks, other platforms than just PC and a less hardcore crowd, a wider crowd which is a good choice from an economical perspective.
More fun or not? well it's up to you to decide.

I've only watched youtubers, filthyrobot is good, he is very harsh on civ 6.
I've watched some others who were decent in civ 5 but it feels like they don't want a stiff challenge and I also like if they explained mechanics and their choice of actions more.

Have played civ 4, civ5bnw and vp (only watched civ6, I wont pay for that stuff) I would say King is a good start (in vp), just go up if it's too easy.
Difficulty scale in Civ6 (or lack of) seems to have a low roof only boosted by rebates, as others mentioned, a lot of youtubers went straight into diety basically from day one and it is considered a lot easier than civ 5.
If civ 5 was insufficient challenge (and therefor not fun) then I wouldn't touch civ6 with a 10 foot pole.

But it also depends on your playstyle, for comparison I watched Marbozirs turtle playstyle of diety civ 5 and thought that is the way to play it, and then Chris (absolute zero, a very good civ4 player) showed how to play very agressive in a civ 5 diety game.

Getting stuck thinking "this is how civ should be played, why is not my playstyle working, this is stupid" is an easy trap moving from civ4->civ5>vp and prob civ6 as well that really can hinder you.
(Some of the crazy stuff I've seen pulled off in civ4 on the forums was mindblowing for me.)

VP is the first civ game where I feel that I really need to prepare vs my neighbours (apart from montezuma as neighbour in civ 4).
Instead of the random worker steal and a congaline suicide you'll see decent attacks with atleast 4-6 units on your borders.
I just kicked shaka in my game (king) where he had a scary force on my border, I had planned a long time for it and had mountains, rivers extra internal roads and even great wall to my favour.
Even after killing off his first wave and taking two cities from him there were another three or four reasonably coordinated waves of assault that easily would have recaptured stuff if I havent played strategic enough.

If you have civ5, VP is a free mod, no question that you should try it.
If you consider buying civ 5 instead of civ6, then yes (you can probably get a decent rebate), both civ 4 or civ 5 were pretty bad until the second expansion had been released, I fear however that civ 6 have worse issues than previous versions and VP is a really interesting mod that brings civ 5 to a new level.

Hope you don't mind the post got a bit long.

Honestly I like most of the changes in civ 6...with the one exception that you know longer can move into rough terrain with 1 movement (which is probably more realistic but so aggravating).

Civ 5 was a lot rougher than it is now when it came out..just like Civ 4 was.

But ultimately Civ6 doesn’t have VP. The features aren’t worth going back to an imbalanced game with crappy ai.

Thanks people. So consensus is moving towards this:
Civ6 DEITY ~= VP PRINCE OR KING
Note that is depend on your playstyle. VP difficulty is through the whole game while usual civ difficulty is "catching up with the AI".
In VP, you can take the lead in ancient/classical era (so the game might feel easy), and still lose badly latter on.

Civ 6 Deity AI starts with 3 or 4 settlers, so comparing the 2 games at deity is difficult if you ask me

Top Bottom