what was the point of the patch

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by pennjersey83, Jul 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pennjersey83

pennjersey83 Chieftain

It still feels like exaclty the same game. I mean, they made some tweeks to numbers. Probably took all of 10 minutes. I started a new game and if I hadn't read the forums I would not have noticed a difference. Wouldn't have known there was a patch until I saw resources only give 4 happiness.

Maybe I was expecting too much, but changing a 5 into a 4 doesn't make any difference to me. I can still beat the game on emporer and AI is the same as it ever was.

2. turboraton

turboraton Chieftain

What can I tell you my mate, this is probably one of the best patches ever released and you just don't notice a difference. As for me and the guys at my lan, we are L O V I N G this one.

3. Malachi256

Malachi256 Prince

Off the bat I noticed lots of building tweaks / balances, changes to wonders, and reworking of a lot of the culture stuff. Most all of it felt like good changes. Stone is cool, too.

I also noticed some AI improvements, although I honestly didn't play enough before to really have 'typical behaviors' established, but it didn't seem AS BAD as before.

4. Drawmeus

Drawmeus Emperor

Agree with turboraton. This is one of the better patches I've seen for any game, ever. I'm not sure how it's even possible not to see what a difference it makes. The game went from being all over the place in terms of game balance with wild swings from building one building or another, settling a new city, etc, to having a consistent and smooth progression throughout most of the game. Entire systems like happiness and culture have gone from wildly inconsistent and incredibly swingy to logical, incremental progression that can be made to work for you no matter what you're planning to do, as long as you plan carefully.

5. Louis XXIV

Louis XXIV Le Roi Soleil

They changed a lot of numbers and reworked the social policies. Yes, technically, the changes could have been done in a short amount of time, but testing them and ensuring they were relatively balanced probably took awhile. Definitely think it was a well made patch. I'd suggest looking at the patch notes if you aren't sure what changed (but if you look at the Social Policy tree, it should be fairly obvious).

6. anandus

anandus Errorist

To me this patch was great. It's a different game and way better than before, imho.
    And I'm quite sure it didn't take them 10 minutes to change the numbers, the game is a lot more balanced as it is.

And although there's still some work to be done since this patch Civ 5 can hold his head high :)

7. Brichals

Brichals King

They opened up whole new areas of play e.g. honour starts, made the end game more of a choice in making the last 3 policies mutually exclusive, changed pacing to make eras more natural, removed exploitable strats such as tech slingshots so people are not tempted to make use of these, improved AI again (although this was maybe more last patch), added a new resource and building, added replays, added hotseat, made over social policies completely to keep you engaged throughout the game.

8. Revoran

Revoran Prince

I'm going to go right ahead and call you a troll OP. I don't care what the rules say about calling people trolls, i'm going to call this thread what it is. You're clearly either trolling or very very stupid.

Edit: You know what? Here's a more constructive sentiment: I'd like to see you do better. Go away and don't come back until you either come up with a post that is actually intelligent instead of just a random jibe at the countless hours of hard work the designers put in, or your come up with a patch mod yourself and put it up for public review.

Lol, 10 minutes? Nice use of hyperbole there instead of rational arguments. If there was a no-bump option I would have ticked it.

The previous posters have humoured you and explained what the patch did very well so I won't go into that, I probably couldn't have put it better than them.

Moderator Action: Please don't troll the other posters.

Member Action: Calling someone a troll isn't trolling, if they were in fact trolling. You guys need to actually learn the definition of trolling before you accuse me of it, seriously.

Moderator Action: Public discussion of moderator actions is not allowed in this forum, and imitating something like mod tags can lead to instant bans -> don't do that.
    Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

9. bryanw1995

bryanw1995 Emperor

Major changes that I can list off the top of my head:
    1. Huge change to wonders. They can actually make/break the game for you now.
    2. Better balance in mid-late game, it's much harder to run away when you have to build more than colosseums and universities.
    3. Lower value of luxury sales + higher premium on happiness makes it harder to get that huge early cash hoard to fuel an aggressive expansion.
    4. Social policies reworked extensively. Honor actually makes sense now. Liberty is no longer a no-brainer even for aggressively expanding civs. Patronage significantly nerfed with scholasticism dropping 25% in effectiveness + no NC in CS's now. Also, rival civs more aggressively pursue CS alliances, making a CS-focused game and/or diplo victory more situational now rather than "every single time". Late game policy changes have made enough changes that it's actually a decision on which one to take.
    5. Mid-late game techs have so many requirements that you almost have to just fill out the entire tech tree before getting to modern era now. MUCH harder to get early 200's victory with space or diplo.
    6. Complete rework of culture, much like the current trend with production there are more ways to get + culture but fewer ways for % increases. Also, culture costs don't increase as much on a per city basis so you can have many SP's and lots of cities at the same time.

10. Zhahz

Zhahz PC Gamer

Some people just don't like Civ 5...no biggie. If they expect a patch to somehow make them like it, it's probably not going to happen. For those of us that DO like Civ 5, it's a great patch in a lot of ways.

11. baldfalk

baldfalk Warlord

You sure this "emporer" setting wasn't a figment of your imagination?

edit: I mean come on, it could have been just amazing coincidence that you didn't run into any, but it doesn't take browsing a forum or patch notes to notice stone on the map. Or even disregarding that, that a LOT of the techs were tweaked and policies were different.

12. Brichals

Brichals King

I'll be honest, I was going to rage like mad and call him a troll too. But then I had a good day at work.

13. cccv

cccv King

No rage here. Well, calling it "10 minutes of work" is obviously inflammatory hyperbole, and the stone should be a pretty obvious difference, but otherwise I kind of see his point. The last patch felt a lot more game changing to me. It doesn't feel like a "completely new game" like some people were predicting it would be. It had a point and made some big changes and yeah, it was definitely many hours of work, but I think maybe OP was just expecting that "completely new game," or maybe he doesn't like V and is still expecting a patch to "fix" it as in a complete overhaul and he's disappointed, I don't know. But this was a patch, not Civ VI, and the changes were more than acceptable from what you'd expect in a patch (much more, really. I have seriously never ever seen a game put this much effort into patches, even games that need them).

14. gingerbill

gingerbill Prince

errr what can you say to someone who doesnt notices any changes in the last patch ? , i'll not comment as any comment would be rude .

I thought the patch was excellent. I'd go so far as too say i've never seen a game improve so much since launch as CIv5 has.

15. magnus333

magnus333 Warlord

It takes longer than 10 minutes just to read the patch notes...

16. nokmirt

nokmirt Emperor

This is the first game in which I have lost a city twice to the AI, and fought like crazy to regain it twice. What a battle so far. This new patch has helped improve the game, thats for sure!

17. OsmarChito

OsmarChito Warlord

to me the patch is ok but AI need more improvement i mean i started new game and AI still suck most of the civilizations are doing only warriors at early start instead of going spearman

18. OsmarChito

OsmarChito Warlord

really? cause the AI suck in my game

19. Babri

Babri Emperor

:thumbsup:

20. AlpsStranger

AlpsStranger Jump jump on the tiger!

Well...

Social policies changed a lot. Research Agreements are completely different. Some unique ability changes... oh, and an entirely new resource that the map generator seems to spawn every ten feet.

I'm going to quote Ignignokt from ATHF and just say "That sounds like a personal problem."

You're like one of those people who dislikes Obama's policies so they answer "I think he's a Muslim" and "I think he's a Communist" and "I don't think he was born in the USA" on a survey. Disliking Civilization 5 is no excuse here. Only a chronically unobservant person could fail to notice the changes in this patch.

Moderator Action: Focus on the post without attacking the poster. Infracted for trolling.
    Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.